Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this battery be OK for my first ebike ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this battery be OK for my first ebike ?

Any reason this would not be a reasonable choice for a 1000watt ebike kit ? It's an 18650 based battery.
    Sold on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31354194308

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.7 KB ID:	129419

Or...would a lithium Ion battery like this be a better choice ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402774747697

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	129421
    Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-04-2021, 07:08 AM.

Personally I would not go with softpacks or batteries from unknown sellers if at all possible, and upp is only slightly better as several of their batteries have started major fires.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
      Personally I would not go with softpacks or batteries from unknown sellers if at all possible, and upp is only slightly better as several of their batteries have started major fires.
      Thanks

I'm going to try BrtPower out of California for my first ebike battery.
      I believe it's a softpack, but I'll add some hard protection to it.

I realize it it gets punctured or ruptures it could be a problem.
      But since I'm going LiFePO4 instead of LiIo, that danger is somewhat reduced.
      Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-04-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Another thing that is lacking from many packs is a good mounting method. If you just toss them into some sort of bag or strap them to a rack they are going to rattle around even more which then exposes (hopefully not literally) their second short cut which is the cells themselves are not really held in place very well, maybe only by a little hot glue and then that one layer of shrink wrap. The cells start moving around you end of flexing or breaking the nickel strips and you either loose the connection or worse end up with a short which can be really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
          I absolutely agree. Can you buy a relatively cheap battery and make it work? Of course. However it’s just not worth the risk of burning my house to the ground. I consider the few hundred extra dollars spent on a potted battery from a known and reputable vendor a cheap insurance policy.

Comment

Good Points.
            With that advice, I'll probably build a custom carbon fiber box for mounting them rigidly and to add protection, with a firm closed cell foam inside for vibration protection.
            I would prefer to have a top of the line $500 - $700 battery. Unfortunately, budget says not now.
            Has there been an unusually large number of fires and injuries with soft packs?

For added safety, I will design my custom "hard pack" to be removable and make sure to not bring it into the home when not in use.
            That should sufficiently increase my odds of success would you agree?

Thanks, advice heeded
            Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-05-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X