Changing battery from 48V to52v on bafang mid drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing battery from 48V to52v on bafang mid drive

I have completed the conversion of my touring Raleigh bike, just waiting for the battery which is 48v 13ah and I would like to know if down the line I upgrade to a 52v 20Ah later will I have to do any reprograming?

Short answer - it depends

You didn't mention where you got the BBSHD and that's the very first question

Some versions of controller firmware don't support 52V batteries not to mention there are also different versions of controller hardware that have differing compatibility with different versions of firmware... the firmware to support is out "in the wild" but programming isn't all that straightforward, is typically irreversible, may not work right and while not that likely it is possible to "brick" the controller

Comment

This is what I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      It says 48v and 52v

Comment

I thought as long as the Bafang motor was listed as 48V/52V, the display can be set to operate at either voltage. At least my 500C display does this, and I expect the other, better displays do the same. Of course if you change to 52V from 48V, you'll need a charger capable of 52V, because a straight 48V charger won't be compatible.

Comment

It should work its just will the battery display be accurate. It just depends on the firmware involved and with this type of thing you never know what you are gonna get.

Comment

Agree it should work and like others mentioned, depends on the display whether it's gauge will be even remotely useful although I don't think they're very useful even when they're proper and don't rely on them in the first place

You will likely want to change the LVCO in the controller parameters however

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
              Agree it should work and like others mentioned, depends on the display whether it's gauge will be even remotely useful although I don't think they're very useful even when they're proper and don't rely on them in the first place

You will likely want to change the LVCO in the controller parameters however
              AZ, I've forgotten which display you use, could you mention it? When I was rounding up all the components and BBSHD motor kit for my build, I read a bunch of the comments about how these Bafang displays weren't going to be that precise as far as mileage, speed, voltage, and watts use were concerned. I was prepared to be disappointed or at least underwhelmed. I went with the 500C display and have been surprised at it's accuracy on those categories except watts usage...but that's because I really have no other way to confirm or question the watt meter as it goes up and down. It seems fairly accurate.

After getting everything up and going, I found the display voltage readout to match both the advanced charger and occasional check with a multimeter to be within .2 or less. That was a relief, as it is closest to a fuel gauge as anything without toting a multimeter. Speed and mileage have been more than acceptable with speed being almost on the dot with a GPS confirmation. Two Tuesdays ago I let a couple of the younger guys at the bike shop I work at try some top speed runs on my Santa Cruz Nomad. This caused us to match it to a GPS for "official results" since they were competing....LOL! I'm running a 26" rear wheel with as big a tire that will fit in the stays...2.4". That speed didn't vary more than a couple of tenths to top out at 40.8mph, and it was done all on throttle as the pedaling seem to hinder the top speed...something I think I had read about before.

On the odometer, on a 10 mile section of our local trail which is dead on the money, I appear to be showing 10.3 at that point...well close enough for government work.

Comment

I use a C965 but really only pay attention to it for PAS - I've got a batt-man for volts, amps, watts, amp-hours, watt-hours, etc. and a garmin 276cx for mileage, time moving, speed, pedal cadence, OAT, etc., etc., etc.

A word of caution - most handheld DVM's aren't terribly accurate and you should use caution "trusting" them as some sort of golden units... often their stated accuracy is only 1% or 2% of full scale. Since most of us are going to be using 200 or 300V as full scale... so even if we're only talking one percent and even if we're only talking one percent of the battery voltage you are still looking at more than 0.5V and possibly as much as 3V!

The batt-man can be calibrated and I have a very accurate bench meter that has recently been calibrated (costly service for sure) that I calibrated the batt-man to so it's really pretty good.

Anyway, this is an old picture of my cockpit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-CTXHB3B-XL.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	130556

Comment

Alright AZ...I'm highly disappointed. No heads-up display?...LOL! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Name:	lol.gif
Views:	97
Size:	438 Bytes
ID:	130571

No head-up display

Name:	ricky.gif
Views:	84
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	130572

Comment

Great conversation, I have learned a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X