X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expected Top Speed for Hub Direct Drive Units

Hello,
    Took my first test ride today.

I have a 1000watt rear hub motor and a 52v battery.

Max speed so far is 50kph or 31mph.

Does that sound about average / par for the course for this setup ?

After looking at some UTube videos, I think I can confirm mine is doing good.

That said, the tires are a little soft so I'm gonna pump em up a bit and try again.

32mph seems to be on the fast end for 1000watt hub motor bikes and maybe I'll hit that. (flat ground no wind)

Comment

30mph is plenty fast. But from one of your other posts I think you've figured that out. It may seem slow coming from a moto background. But on bicycle parts designed for 20mph speeds it can get hairy if you aren't careful. For comparison my 1500W BBSHD hits 36mph. But it sucks the battery dry doing much of that. In real life 30-32mph is all I use, and that not very often.

Comment

How are you measuring speed?

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
          How are you measuring speed?
          THAT is a good question!
          The 50kph I reported was the indicated speed on the LCD display that came with the ebike kit.
          I suppose I should do a cell phone GPS reading....but to be honest......it felt like I was going AT LEAST 30mph if not a bit faster.

MORE than fast enough on a bicycle. I recently sold a 50cc scooter and I can tell this bike is nearly as fast as that 50cc scooter was.

I still have my 150cc scooter with a little performance work that will hit an honest 57mph (as long as there is no headwind)
          Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 08-19-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Bikes always seem they are going faster than they are ;-}

The displays can have a lot of error, either plus or minus

Phones have different errors typically under report speed, particularly in turns, and can have badd erros when not in clear sky

Purpose built GPS's (GNSS's) are usually very accurate in a straight line but can suffer when turning and how clear the sky is and nearby multi-path reflectors may cause interference

Calibrated wheel speed sensors can be very close but getting them calibrated is the trick and it's can be hard to figure out whether or not they are

Hey guys,

Took the bike out today for it's 3rd test run (a little further and longer flat straight away)

Was able to get the bike to 57.8kph with a semi tuck. Not all the way down but mostly.
          That's a solid 35mph. Not bad for a 1000watt kit eh ?

Could be because the battery was fully charged to 54.5v whereas the other rides were with a partially charged battery.

Anyway.....I'd say this thing is faster than I thought.

On the not so good.....I ended up with yet another flat tire and had to phone home for a rescue.
          I "think" the tube may have been damaged from the previous blow out even though it held air for 24 hours sitting.

Anyway.....time for at least a new tube. My tire says 700 x 500 on it and also has 52-622, but I'm having trouble finding that in a tube or tire.
          Any suggestions?

Comment

700x50 maybe? 622 is the rim diameter which is more or less also known as a 700 and a 29. 500 doesn't fit anything that I know of but 50 is almost 2". 2" is actually 50.8mm so pretty close to 52? Maybe its a 29x 2.1 ? Tube should be no problem a common size is 29 x 1.75-2.4.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
              700x50 maybe? 622 is the rim diameter which is more or less also known as a 700 and a 29. 500 doesn't fit anything that I know of but 50 is almost 2". 2" is actually 50.8mm so pretty close to 52? Maybe its a 29x 2.1 ? Tube should be no problem a common size is 29 x 1.75-2.4.
              Thanks man!
              I owe ya.

Comment

Originally posted by MemberOfDistinction View Post
                Hey guys,

Took the bike out today for it's 3rd test run (a little further and longer flat straight away)

Was able to get the bike to 57.8kph with a semi tuck. Not all the way down but mostly.
                That's a solid 35mph. Not bad for a 1000watt kit eh ?

Could be because the battery was fully charged to 54.5v whereas the other rides were with a partially charged battery.

Anyway.....I'd say this thing is faster than I thought.

On the not so good.....I ended up with yet another flat tire and had to phone home for a rescue.
                I "think" the tube may have been damaged from the previous blow out even though it held air for 24 hours sitting.

Anyway.....time for at least a new tube. My tire says 700 x 500 on it and also has 52-622, but I'm having trouble finding that in a tube or tire.
                Any suggestions?
                I've gone at least that speed with my stock BBSHD tank even with fat knobby tires at silly low pressures (26x4.8" @10psi), carrying gear (no tuck?!)... frankly I don't like going that fast at all but it will do it! And speed measured with gps calibrated wheel sensor... haven't tried going faster so not sure of top speed...

Well if we're bragging and all Click image for larger version

Name:	evil.gif
Views:	376
Size:	343 Bytes
ID:	134137

Click image for larger version

Name:	boris.rip.crp_0159.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	972.0 KB
ID:	134136

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post

I've gone at least that speed with my stock BBSHD tank even with fat knobby tires at silly low pressures (26x4.8" @10psi), carrying gear (no tuck?!)... frankly I don't like going that fast at all but it will do it! And speed measured with gps calibrated wheel sensor... haven't tried going faster so not sure of top speed...

Well if we're bragging and all Click image for larger version  Name:	evil.gif Views:	3 Size:	343 Bytes ID:	134137

Click image for larger version  Name:	boris.rip.crp_0159.JPG Views:	4 Size:	972.0 KB ID:	134136
                  lol

Yeah....but what if my LCD display is reading on the low side?

Heck, I might be hitting 60+ kph ! lol

Actually......I don't like going that fast on a bike either. When I slowed down I found the rear tire was completely flat again.
                  That's why I had to call home to get rescued.

Still......makes me shudder to think......Imagine that....60+ kph...on a flat rear tire even.......it was probably pure centrifugal force keeping that tire on the rim.
                  I think I'll name her ..... litenin bolt

Should I call Guiness ?? :-)
                  Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 08-19-2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

If your tire situation is that bad, what are you using for brakes? Are the flat tires the only thing stopping the bike?

Comment

• AZguy
                      AZguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      To hell with brakes, they only slow you down =]

AZguy commented
                    9 hours ago

To hell with brakes, they only slow you down =]

Comment

• Retrorockit
                      Retrorockit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not if you use them to do stoppies!

Most motorized bikes offer a standard top speed of 30mph, delivering a satisfying experience for riders. However, there's more to this story! Brace yourself for the exceptional Revolution XX by HPC, the epitome of cutting-edge e-bikes. Imagine riding on the edge of excitement as you soar at an incredible 70mph (113kmph), leaving ordinary bikes in the dust.
                    Last edited by Robert07; 08-10-2023, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                      73Eldo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At least there is a pretty clear ad in this reply. Better than the usual AI bot spam that is getting to be the norm these days.
                  Working...
                  X