No announcement yet.

How to enable reverse chain direction with mid-motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you would have to share your current thoughts in more detail on how the prop is connected to the drive. I had some ideas till it was mentioned that the wheels will be removed for water use. This makes it seem like there will have to be a 90* gearbox that will have to have a freewheel sprocket on it that will have to fit in place of the rear hub. I suppose this is workable just trying to imagine how you would attach the sprocket / shaft end to the dropouts? I suppose some sort of bearing so you could still support the shaft but not have it resist turning?

Comment

While I sort of understand the elegance of one motor.... this whole exercise would be far, far simpler, less expensive, lighter weight, more capabilities, etc., etc. with a separate propeller motor

Comment

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        I would look at these.
        https://liftfoils.com/
        Picture with motor/prop in it.
        https://liftfoils.com/efoil-south-carolina/
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM.

• MrE
        MrE commented
        Editing a comment
        The foil motor shape (torpedo) is what I would look for in a separate motor. That shape will fit neatly in the design i have in mind. However, I don’t need that type of power (and price :) It’s just to occasionally reverse the boat. So a very basic and low thrust motor will. I guess 3-4 kg (I believe that’s 6-9 lb) will do.
        I do see some options (ducted type, pod type).

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        There are many trolling motors available at a lower price point, but they tend to be 12V. There are powered surfborads that are not foiling. So other options may exist.

Possibly building them or kits is an interesting twist and adds the extra complexity of having to try and use as much off the shelf existing and reasonably priced stuff as possible. For a one off sure you can fabricate a bunch or get lucky and find that space shuttle gearbox for $1 on ebay but as soon as you try to go into production you are screwed when you find out another gearbox will cost a million dollars.

Comment

Something like this would work. This is 112 mm
        A separate motor would also allow me to use the BBS mid-motor so you convinced me AZguy. Now to find a suited one…

Click image for larger version  Name:	1DCDCBEA-9C2A-46A7-8AFD-594AD69A0AF6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.4 KB ID:	143296

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet that weighs very little - a lot less than all the mechanics for trying to drive something from the mid drive and it's likely far more efficient too

At first I liked the elegeance of a single motor but the more I thought about it the seperate motor is just is so much simpler and electric makes it very easy

You could likely use the same throttle and just have a three way switch (forward-off-reverse) and the throttle would give excellent control
      Working...
      X