Will my contacts melt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will my contacts melt

Bonjour from Montréal. I have finished my build and tested it with a friends battery. It's all good. I bought a battery, so of course I have to change the contacts on my motor cables. The battery is a Powerizer 36v 18Ah (40A rate). It has Anderson connectors. I found connectors at a local shop, SD45A terminals rated 10-14 AWG. Is this compatible with my power supply, or will the leads melt and short out my motor?

So your battery has Anderson and your motor has nothing? Ideally you want to match one or the other so you don't have to change both. If it was me I would change the motor end since that won't be live. Working on the battery end you have to be a lot more careful or you can easily let the magic smoke and flames out of the battery. Is the 45a an Anddrson 45 amp connector? That should be fine if that is what you are taking about. You didn't say what size motor you have but at 36v it can't be too big. If its a 500w motor that's only 14 amps. Even if its a 750w that's only 20 amps.

Comment

It's a 500 W motor. I've been a bike mechanic for most of my 66 years. I remember dynamos mounted on the rear stay the used the spinning wheel to power the headlight, but bike electronics for me has really been "Does it take a double-A or triple-A battery. But you have to keep up with the times so I decided to convert an old-style cruiser bike into an ebike. The kit came with instructions, but no details of the electronics.

Comment

I found the connecter on the manufacturer's website. 45 amp, 600 V. I'm going to trust it.

Comment

Ya you should be good with a 45amp connector. If you can pull 500w continuous thats only 15amps. Even if it can peak higher at 20 you are still less than half the connectors rating you should have plenty of headroom in the connector.

Comment

If the battery doesn't have an on/off switch you may want to consider something with arc suppression since most connectors without will get fried when you plug a live battery into the controller... I had an anderson that lasted about three plugins before it was completely destroyed

Probably the most popular connector for battery discharge is the XT90S - the "S" is for the suppression version... they are inexpensive and generally soldered on - you need a good high power iron to do this although you can find them already soldered to pigtails here and there

Comment

I do have an on/off switch, and I have succeeded in crimping the connectors. The battery-to-motor cable is wired in two parts connected by a standard 3-pronged plug, so I never have to use the Anderson connectors remove the battery. I have done a short, successful test ride! It's an e-bike!

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have the on/off switch you can get by with the andersons - just don't plug the battery in with either connector while energized!

Another downside to the andersons is they aren't good around even a little water
            Working...
            X