Terra Trike Rover build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terra Trike Rover build

My last bike in Europe was 250w with 30 amh 36v battery. had no problem doing 25 mph on the flat. It was the hills that killed me. To be honest they were so very steep hills. The Rover I have has 24" front wheels and I use a 26 on the rear. disc brakes on the front. I'm not sure if I should get a geared motor or direct drive. Considering using two motors on the front, or a big one on the back. (Two motors on the front, one pedal assist and the other throttle). I think I would only need the throttle on steep hills. It would be easier to just do the 26" in the rear, but I want at least 25 mph and to be able to get up most hills with ease. 7 speeds. I see some conversions use the mid drive, but I'm not sure I like that option unless it is far better than a hub motor. I like the 1500w version I'm leaning in this direction. Amazon.com : Voilamart 26" Rear Wheel Electric Bike Conversion Kit, 48V 1500W E-Bike Powerful Hub Motor Kit with Intelligent Controller and PAS System, Restricted to 750W for Road Bike(Without Battery) : Sports & Outdoors‚Äč I'd rather not get something and then have to replace components with something else later. What I like in my display is amps used so I can regulate my speed for the best range. Any recommendations for a good controller and or display would be appreciated. I'll build a custom battery at 48 or 56 volts. I used two batteries in Europe with a Datex2 which worked very well. I was thinking of using a similar system with 48 and 56 volts.

Thanks in advance, Dan

I'm a big fan of Terra Cycle, first rate stuff. For hub motor info go to Grin Technology in Canada. Most of us here run the 1500W BBSHD mid drive. it's extremely reliable as long as you have good driveline service skills. 56 volts takes many standard components over their 60V. rating when fully charges. That's why 52V. is more common. Personally the 48V. BBSHD is about 6x as much power as you had before. I wouldn't bother.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you get a full size pic. up in the thread so we can zoom in and see what you have already?

Terra trike is what I have the B Twin is what ai had in Europe
    Attached Files

Comment

They can do stuff like this if you want.Click image for larger version

Name:	AllAxleTrike.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	164522

Comment

• Skipper Dan
      Skipper Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great. My batteries would be mounted under on a platform, but that is very close to what I need. Now if I could just afford it.

I gave you the Grin Tech. info because you were looking into hubmotors. But I think everyone here will tell you that a BBSHD will be the best performing setup, and 48V. 1500W the most reliable.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Lubing the chain often, and replacing the chain and (cheap) cassette as a pair is what many of us end up doing. Other than that pretty much trouble free.

There is one possibility in mounting a BBSHD mid engine on a trike. The BBSHD can go 140rpm. With 2 chain rings on it as a jack shaft you should be able to match the cadence better than a mid drive bike can.

Comment

Working...
    X