Going to build an Ebike. 21 speed or 27speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to build an Ebike. 21 speed or 27speed

So I am looking at 2 bikes, One is a cannodale 21 speed and the other is a Cannondale but 27 speed. Both a similar in price but the 21 is a bit cheaper with upgraded front shocks. Given a choice, Would you buy the 21 or 27. Motor will be a bafang but not sure which one yet. I am looking to build a bike that is quick off the line with a decent top speed of 35 MPH or more.

The one with disc brakes?

P.S. and space for a monster battery if you hope to go 35MPH+ on level ground, for any appreciatable distances.
    Last edited by ncmired; 10-04-2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

You are short on build details. Mid-drive or hub build? The front cluster gets replaced if building with a mid-drive. Hub motors and their cassettes can get into some width restrictions in the rear. Gear selection becomes much less important once a bike is electric.

Comment

I would go with the 27 speed. 21s is 3x7, and 1x 7s with a mi drive is oddball hub and cassette setup. 27s is 3x9 which gets you into the 1x8,9,10,11s range of cassettes.a BBSHD and maybe 52V will get you here you want to go. But 24Ah or bigger battery will be required, and 35mph will still pull that down pretty quick. For street 1x 8 is just as good as anything else. I hope you're looking at disc brake MtBs with at least 2"+ wide tires. You will need both of those to stop that bike.

Comment

So I did buy the Cannondale Foray 27 speed. Has hydraulic disc brakes. I was thinking the CYC X1gen 3 but wife shot that down quick. Option 2 comes in as Bafang mid drive 1000 W 52 V. Looking at 30 ah battery. I really don't need to go any huge distances. We are a mile to the grocery store and gas station. After that, Walmart is a good 20 miles up the road. It's mainly for passing other E bikes and fetching the mail. Are Panasonic batteries any good. I am new to this and building my first bike. I do learn quickly. I built some LED grow lights when cannabis was made legal in Canada. I did it not knowing if the lights would work so had a backup. Turns out the lights were awesome. I used strip lights with Costco cookie sheets. lol

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            There are 2 ratings for battery. Amps which is the power of the motor it can support. A BBSHD is 30A. The other rating is Amp hour. This has to do with how big the battery is. To compare 48V. to 52V you need Watt hours which also has to do with range. 30Amp is a normal rating for an Ebike battery/ 30Amp/HOUR paerticularly at 52V. is a very large battery. 24Ah is the largest commonly available Shark style battery.
            FWIW the 48V. BBSHD makes more power than a 52v BBS02 and is much more reliable. But it's not considered street legal if there is enforcement in your area. The BBS02 comes in legal power levels so is often used for that reason. Check your battery terminology and understand Amps, vsw, Amp hours, and watt hours. Luna has a 52V. 1200W BBS02 but they haven't had batteries for a while.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-12-2023, 10:11 AM.
        Working...
        X