Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High volume/balloon tires for 29x 2.7" (inner) wheelser)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High volume/balloon tires for 29x 2.7" (inner) wheelser)

Hello. I am looking for a high volume/balloon tire. Wheels are 28/29x2.7" inner width. I prefer something for the street, so something like the 3.25 vee bulldozer is out. I wish continental made a wider version of the retro ride, because the profile is exactly what I want. I have considered the vee speedster 2.8, super moto 2.6 but what else would you suggest I look at?
    Attached Files

Have you looked at Schwalbe? They are good tires and have a pretty good range especially on road touring side of things.

Another one that may fit your needs is the Surly Extra Terrestrial. Also comes in the slate wall which could maybe work for your look? I have been running them for a couple years on my street bike. Before those I was running Schwalbe Big Apples which were great unless you ran into some sand or even wet grass. I originally intended to run the ET's in that spring and fall transitional period where studded tires were not required but still good chances of muck. There is just enough tread that if you get on the edge or sink a bit there is some grip but the center tread blocks are short enough and close enough together that its a smooth and reasonably quiet ride so except when I need the ice studs those are now my main tire.

Comment

Oh and for anything in the 2.5+ size range if you are running tubes these are the tubes I would run. They are nice and thick plus you would be running at the bottom of their size range. Most of the other tubes are like 1.6-2.4 so will be pretty stretched by the time you get to 2.5. I have not found any heavy ones that come with a standard valve so being stuck with presta can be annoying but far less annoying than dealing with flats. There are adapters available if your rims are standard or if you have a 3d printer there are lots of designs out there you can just print.

For those that don't like links its the Bontrager Fat series.

And here is the ET tire
      The Surly ExtraTerrestrial Off-Road Touring Bike Tire is designed to shine on hardpack surfaces and features a low-profile, directional tread pattern.

Comment

Lets see what happens if I link to a photo in another thread. Its one of my bike with the ET's on it so you can get a better idea what they look like in the real world. Here they are on fairly narrow rims but I have had them on 50mm wide rims and they were fine there too. Yours being wider I don't know how that would change things. There just are not a ton of 29's wider than the low 2's and the ones that are wider tend to be more aggressive off road types.

Last edited by 73Eldo; 12-12-2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I will def consider those. They look pretty good

Comment

I got both the continental retronride and vee speedsters. I think I will stick with the speedsters. I sure wish the continentals came in a 2.8-3. Its a nice tire too.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
              Have you looked at Schwalbe? They are good tires and have a pretty good range especially on road touring side of things.

Another one that may fit your needs is the Surly Extra Terrestrial. Also comes in the slate wall which could maybe work for your look? I have been running them for a couple years on my street bike. Before those I was running Schwalbe Big Apples which were great unless you ran into some sand or even wet grass. I originally intended to run the ET's in that spring and fall transitional period where studded tires were not required but still good chances of muck. There is just enough tread that if you get on the edge or sink a bit there is some grip but the center tread blocks are short enough and close enough together that its a smooth and reasonably quiet ride so except when I need the ice studs those are now my main tire.

Thanks for the suggestions!‚Äč

Comment

That mock up looks amazing. Love the frame stance.

Comment

Working...
                X