BBSHD vs MXUS 3000w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD vs MXUS 3000w?

Hello! Within the coming weeks I want to a dual purpose (trail and daily commuter) fatbike build.I am using a "Moose fatbike" (https://moosebicycle.com/en/bicycles...-fat-bike.html) as the base Right now I am just budgeting myself and deciding what motor would be better. The BBSHD with a 52v 14ah luna battery which should cost me around 1200-1300 usd for the kit and battery or the MXUS 3000w hubmotor fatbike conversion kit from kinaye motorsports and a 72v 17.5ah luna.battery(would have it limited for street use) . Which should cost me between 1600-1700 usd. I've looked at the pro's and cons of hud vs middrive motors. Right now I'm working full time saving up money for college and I decided an ebike would be a perfect mode of transportation. So I need something that would be able to last 3-4 years with minimal maintenance needed and would be able to clime hills of 10% grade easily and the occasional 15 to nearly 20% grade hill when I'm on some trails. If anyone with either of these motors could give me their opinion that would be great. Just to see if the mxus is worth the extra 400usd or so.

When it comes to climbing hills, the BBSHD rules! IMHO. I have hills of 22% grade I weigh about 210 lbs. MY BBSHD climbs it with no pedaling at 7 mph, I can do twice that if I pedal hard. I have no hub drive experience, but from what I've read, it is widely accepted that Mid-drives out perform hubs. Maybe an AWD dual hub would climb as good. For my dollars I'd go BBSHD!

Comment

Thanks for your opinion! Now doubt that the ability to swap gears can not be overlooked. For some reason I thought I would eventually want more power then the bbshd can give me, but the higher wattage mid drive kits like the cyclone or lightning rod kits seem too difficult to properly mount and just seem a lot less reliable.

Comment

I agree, and I think you would find the BBSHD will satisfy your want for power. Properly geared you can climb almost anything! If you ever do want for more power, just wire in a high volt/amp controller and breath new life into your old motor! Many people have with good results. Even Luna now sells a whole bike with a high power controller on a BBSHD, 50amp IIRC!

Comment

I have both. MXUS on my luna frame and a BBSHD on my Specialized expert comp.

Id go the BBSHD. But it depends on what you want. Something small thats a 2 hour install or a build that takes a week. You need a good frame to put a MXUS on with 10mm torque arms on both sides. Ive build other high speed ebikes as well on the Raptor and phasor frame with my last one on the Stealth Futr frame.

Comment

+1 BBSHD ..

Compared to a hub motor, the bike just handles sooo much better all round. Especially if you plan to go off-road, never mind hub motors that will make the bike very "floppy" with the extra weight in the rear, and the spokes are shorter, so they cannot flex as much, so unless you build it into a moped or MX wheel, it's most likely going to ruin the rim with any kind of demanding off-roading.

There is also the option of hot-rodding the BBSHD up to 3000watts!

https://www.electricbike.com/project...hd-ebike-ever/

Comment

Thanks I had decided on the bbshd now thank you everyone :). And I may wait a while before hooking up a high amp controller to it (if I really want the power). I'm pretty sure putting that much power through the bbshd would probably wreck the internal gears on the system would it not?

Comment

Depends on how you go about it. The right controller properly set up, and a BBSHD that's been prepped for the power, and you could safely put 2Kw through it. More for short bursts.

Comment

Very interested in the Moose Fatbike you are planning to buy.
                  I have just ordered this Panther Hercules One Fat Bike, made by a Thai bicycle company that also manufactures parts in Taiwan. Very similar frame design and spec as yours, although the Panther has a FS fork as standard, and Tektro Hydraulic disc brakes rather than Shimano.
                  Price of this bike delivered to my door in Thailand from one of their Thai bike dealers is 21,000 Thai baht or about 780CAD.
                  I think both bikes look great, and I'll be fitting a Bafang BBSHD with 52v battery pack like you?!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X