Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is typical Rivet Nut sizing for a bicycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is typical Rivet Nut sizing for a bicycle?

As the title says: What is typical Rivet Nut sizing for a bicycle?

You can use anything you want however since the bikes I have seen are metric it would be nice to maintain that metric theme. Let's say you were adding a water bottle bracket. The same thread size as the factory bracket would be appropriate. Your thread title is a bit vague. I should ask what are you trying to install where? I have not had a hands on with the dolphin or shark paks but it seems they are attached where the factory water bottles were. I personally would not trust two, 5mm screws to hold a battery pak.

On my build I originally used a modified Topeak rack that I had from another bike to mount the battery. All the racks I have seen have 4 mounting points. The two on the rear dropouts hold all the weight and the two on the seat post horizontal stability. I had two tiny 5mm screws supporting all the weight of the battery because that was the size everyone uses on bikes. Well on a crazy windy day my bike blew over and snapped one of the screws at the dropout and I had to pedal home very carefully to make emergency repairs. This really aggravated me because I knew they weren't strong enough but I was in a hurry to get the bike done.

When I bought that custom rack for the battery the first thing I did was to increase those screws to 6mm. I know that an odd drop or an accident that will induce a sideways shearing force will break two water bottle sized screws. So what do you want to install and where? I realize I have the advantage of a lifetime of mechanics and scrounging bits and pieces so tell me what you are thinking of and I will give you my opinion...............calfee

Comment

On my shark paks, I use the 2 M5 screws where the water bottle mount is and add another M5 rivnut to get a 3rd screw at the top mounting hole. I use Versimold rubber to make form fitting gaskets and paks have held up to a lot of abuse.

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow thanks for that comment on Versimold. I love more info. That rubber will help spread the stress on the screws.

Originally posted by Peter Halt View Post
      On my shark paks, I use the 2 M5 screws where the water bottle mount is and add another M5 rivnut to get a 3rd screw at the top mounting hole. I use Versimold rubber to make form fitting gaskets and paks have held up to a lot of abuse.
      So really what I was curious to know if all bicycles use the same thread size for the rivet nuts used to hold on the water bottle brackets. I was not sure of the thread sizing on the bikes I have.

But there was someone here that I thought had said that some rivet nuts were better for a bicycle application, or at least the bicycle shop he got them from said so. I forget where that thread was though. He mentioned he was going to ask the bicycle shop that he got them from, but I lost track of that thread.

But M5 is probably the most common thread. I was thinking of getting this tool : http://www.rivetnuttool.com/shop/pro...roducts_id=129

That Versimold sound like some great stuff. I'm going to look into that, as I want to install a Sharkpack on a slightly S-bent tube and was even thinking of using thin sheet of aluminium to mount the Sharkpack to as it's is only plastic, but I could see also using some of that stuff too. Thanks for mentioning that stuff.
      Last edited by g725s; 10-24-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I will go out to the barn tomorrow to make sure but I am 90% sure the thread size is 5mm X .80 . 5mm diameter and .80mm between threads. That one size seems to be all over the bikes.

Comment

"But M5 is probably the most common thread" M5 is not a thread size. It simply denotes screws that are based on 5mm diameter stock. I went to measure the bike hardware that I am collecting in the barn and the thread size for commonly attached things is 5.0 X .80 mm This is the most common 5mm thread that I have run across in 40 yrs of work but it is not the only one. Make sure you specify this thread size when buying rivnuts.

Bear in mind when building your Electra fat if you put the motor inside of the frame it substantially cuts down on the room for a shark pak.

Comment

• g725s
            g725s commented
            Editing a comment
            Eyeballing it, it appears that both would fit inside the triangle on the Electra Lux Fatt 7D :-)

Quick look at versimold gasket making for Shark pak

Comment

• g725s
            g725s commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm interested in trying this for a battery mount I just installed on a somewhat curved downtube.

Really just to fill the void so it looks better. An added bonus would be if it gave the mount more stability.

Go here http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...2687#post22687 and have a look at the void I'd like to fill.

How many packs of this stuff does it look like my project might require?

I bought the tool that will do M5 Rivet Nut. Now I need to decide what M5 Rivet Nut to get. Amazon has a few and these have the best rating: https://www.amazon.com/Flat-Aluminum.../dp/B00OVWCOPM

Or should I get steel Rivet Nuts?

I could put Rivet Nuts all over my bike with a 100 of these things.
          Last edited by g725s; 10-27-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

If you have an aluminum frame, I would go with aluminum nuts. They hold fine. Steel and aluminum plus water can corrode in a galvanic mess.

Comment

• g725s
              g725s commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes the frame I have is aluminium.

However, most bolts that hold on water bottle brackets are steel. I get what your saying, but seriously doubt steel rivet nuts would become a big galvanic mess. I don't see a big galvanic mess with the bolts that hold on the water bottle brackets on my other bikes.

Just that steel will be less likely to strip especially holding on a heavy battery. Water bottles are not as heavy as batteries.

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Never put steel on aluminum unless it is stainless steel. Just ask aluminum boat owners.

• g725s
              g725s commented
              Editing a comment
              UCalfee20 I was a captain of an 80' aluminum research vessel for 10yrs of my nearly 30yrs as a full-time captain and engineer . I'll look in the mirror tonight and ask myself that ;-) . But a boat in water with both AC and DC ground is completely different beast.

Yes we always put stainless on aluminum, but I just cannot imagine a major reaction if the bike is kept dry and clean for most of my lifetime.

"It should be pointed out that, indoors and in other dry atmospheres, aluminium can be in permanent contact with brass and carbon steel with no risk of galvanic corrosion." taken from this website: http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/desig...on-resistance/

If you really want to get particular after you drill the hole in your bike you could coat the aluminum with some sort of good barrier coating before the install the rivet nut.
              Last edited by g725s; 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM.

Ok here we go. They don't list the thread pitch but if you scroll down to questions & answers. Someone says it is 1.00mm. This is definitely wrong. 5.0 X 1.00 Thread does not exist 99.99% probability. The web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread in the first chart lists a coarse and a fine. I have never seen the fine in my life. So this is with a high probability what you need.

Second possible problem. If you go to reviews one of them says "Shipped surprisingly fast from China. Good condition, attractive finish, will buy again." I ordered something from china without realizing it and it took nearly a month.

I just spent an hour looking for Rivnut or nutsert "same but different" to see if I could find a source for you. Everything was Chinese or stupid expensive. I would go with Amazon but stainless steel. Same price half the number of pieces. One reviewer complained that they sent Aluminum instead of the stainless. I will tell you I am glad I got my stuff 30 years ago.

To repeat the size you need is 5 X.80mm but they are so common everyone seems to be saying M5.

Comment

• g725s
              g725s commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
              I just spent an hour looking for Rivnut or nutsert "same but different" to see if I could find a source for you. Everything was Chinese or stupid expensive.
              I have decided to just go with these https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-100Pc...dp/B01GQ9JZ7M/ .

Not too expensive and for the price and 100 pieces If anyone wants a few send me a self address postage paid envolope...

calfee20 - excellent information. i'm thinking of mounting a sharkpack to the top of the toptube on an extra small sized full suspension bike (kinda like a motorcycle gas tank) - i figure 2-3 rivnuts plus a velcro strap should do it. Have you seen anyone do this type of sharkpack mounting? Thanks

Comment

I used 6m steel Rivnuts, I wanted a larger bolt than the stock 5m

Comment

• g725s
              g725s commented
              Editing a comment
              Aluminum or Stainless Steel? I'm thinking if you go bigger with Aluminum that a heavy battery would be less likely to strip them out. Stainless would be less likely to strip over Aluminum.

OK, so I decided to break out the magnet on all my bikes (all 4 bikes that I own have Aluminum frames) and 2 neighbors Aluminum bikes. Turns out all Rivet Nuts are STEEL and M-5.

Comment

I am using the Tacklife Pumping Rod Rivet Nut Tool kit. The steel arms are ergonomic and 3 mm thick, helping users save around 40% effort when compared to regular rivet tools. It is best for bicycle attachments, and body panels.
              If you are looking for the excellent working nutsert installation tools, then check the reviews of the best rivnut tools here and easily crimp or latch.

Comment

Working...
              X