BBS02 OR BBSHD and what Battery pack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS02 OR BBSHD and what Battery pack?

Okay so I am starting strong with a heavy duty bike. USX-HD By SUN.

I am Huge, 400LBS DUDE I can still jog and sprint a bit but I am about to build a long distance E-Bike, I am loosing weight and want to get up the hills and maintain speed when my limited endurance gives up.
    The question is what will get 500lbs of Man and steel 30+ miles on a charge. How would I calculate this in respects to a battery drive combo at my load. My bike has a Mega range gear on the rear cassette that will drop the stress on the motor and the bike has 20 inch wheels so im not building a speed demon, but I would like to hit 14-20MPH on the regular and get a safe 40 miles to a charge.

I'm not sure either of those will work with that bike. It looks like it has an additional support bar under the bottom bracket that might limit the use of a Bafang mid-drive. Better measure to be sure. If it works, the BBSHD would be the wiser option with as big a battery as you can afford.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...un-ez-3-usx-hd

Looks like you can rearrange the linkage so it's not a problem

• BigJon
      BigJon commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a tie rod for the steering. i am switching to traditional steering and removing the under seat. i ordered the anniversary kit from lunacycles. i will most likely buy a second battery pack and run it in parallel once i get a feel for my riding type and needs.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The BBS02 is not a heavy duty motor and you run risk of breaking it going uphill with a 500 pound load. I do not recommend BBS02 for your uses..

For the battery capacity and range, search threads on the subject. At your weight there will be a penalty, especially if you got plenty of up hills. The range depends a lot on how much you pedal and how fast do you want to go. A 1kW battery (17.5Ah, 52V pack) at low levels of assistance, say 50W, will be good for a LOT of miles. I did 40 miles with friends on regular bikes this weekend on my ebike bike with BBSHD and that battery, using assistance PAS 1 for maybe 50% of the time, level 2 for maybe 35%% of the ride and no assistance for the rest of the ride. I was quite fresh at the end where my buddies were quite tired. Used perhaps only 30% of the battery capacity - could have easily done 100 miles or more this way (the bike, not my butt, which after 40 miles had had enough). I'm 200lb, 58lb bike.

​​​On the other hand, if using throttle or highest level of assistance, using 1000W+ of power most of the time, then you will probably be out of battery in 25 miles or so on the same battery.

Basically, if you are willing to pedal a bit and slow down when uphill instead of using more power, you will have a huge range. For me, at 260lb man and bike, I can very comfortably stay under 200W if I slow down and pedal lightly (and still be faster than most non-ebikers), and that on the 17.5Ah 52V packs gives a lot of miles, easily over 40 miles, even with occasional shot bursts of full power.

​​
    Last edited by Kocho; 1 week ago.

Comment

• BigJon
      BigJon commented
      Editing a comment
      My intention is to only use it to get up inclines i cant push myself. Not really planning to use the throttle unless I am showing the build off to friends.
Working...
X