Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This bike ok for bbshd?

Hi there from Oz!

im thinking of building an ebike for our new 80 acre farm here (yes, be jealous, csnt wait to build a few trails on it!), right now it mainly has grass, tussocks on it and plenty of gravel roads nearby, so am opting for a Fatbike, hopefully this one: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/b/...sram/102995446

Can any gurus tell me if this kit would be 'easy' to install/compatible with the bike?

Lowest price anywhere on the BBSHD. The new bafang 1000 BBHD will put out a maximum of 1600 watts and is the most powerful ebike kit ever and its a mid drive!

thanks in anticipation and im sure ill be asking plenty more daft questions along the way!

heres a pic from my back fence, see if you can spot our house :-) . Being loaded in a sec.
    Last edited by SimmoW; 12-10-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Should be a good candidate for the kit. Nice Chromoly frame and fork. You'll need to know what type and width of the bottom bracket. I'd recommend calling the company and getting the info directly.https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...olitan-8-speed

Comment

Hey thanks for your reply. Sorry, by bottom bracket, exactly what do you mean? See, I really am a total n00b!

Comment

You need to measure, this is a helpful thread here https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ight-bbsxx-kit

Comment

Originally posted by SimmoW View Post
            Hey thanks for your reply. Sorry, by bottom bracket, exactly what do you mean? See, I really am a total n00b!
            The threaded tube is the bottom bracket (BB).

Click image for larger version  Name:	P-Johnson_bare_3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	174.4 KB ID:	52776
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-12-2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

The BB width is referred to here as "Frame Shell Width":
              Click image for larger version

Name:	7MWMjMT.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	52780

Comment

Hi Simmo. I can't qualify myself as an expert but my only reservation with your choice of bike is the absence of hydrolic disc brakes. I've found personally that I tend to ride that little bit faster on e bikes so the importance of good brakes is paramount. Cable disc brakes can be found a little bit lacking when the need arises. The chrome moly frame would be great though. By way of comparison you may be able to pick up a nice second hand bike from the usual sites for under what you'd be paying there.
                All the best with the project. You'll have some nice track options there.

Comment

I'm new to this, but that 11T cog would not be my first choice. I think a BBSHD will chew it up pretty quickly. Of course, just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. Looking at where and how you plan to ride, you probably won't miss it.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone, so nice to get the help I need.

Oh dear, now I"m getting confused re. the best combo of bike I'd like for the flat but undulating/uneven, grassy terrain I'll be riding on. Reading about the bouncy ride on the basic Fat Bikes. So leaning towards a good compromise, 27.5 Plus bike with 3 inch tyres like this one:

Look good with the BBSHD?

And what are the better second hand bike sites in Oz? Not sure about Ebay...

Ta

Comment

Hi Simmo I've had luck on gumtree for second hand. Could I make a suggestion. The old Specialzed Rockhopper 29er with 2.5 tyres would work well on the type of terrain you want to ride. The triangle on the Rockhopper is also a bit larger to accomodate the battery. I've recently assembled one for a mate. They sell for around $600 Aus second hand and make a great conversion, hydrolic brakes and everything. The 29inch wheels roll very nicely and only seem to suffer a little on tight trails. My two bobs worth anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X