What's up with the BBSHD cranks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the BBSHD cranks?

They say 8fun AC on the inside of them which is weird, but I guess that is ok. My main question is why I can't get this left crank to get closer to the motor? The other one looks fine, but the left one looks like it is bent a bit and I can't seem to pound it in tight enough? Time for aftermarket cranks? That's assuming I can pull em off....

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	53214

Name:	
Size:	638.8 KB
ID:	53215

Name:	
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	53216
    Thanks.

I figured they are different because the motor does not mount symmetrically.
    Could this be to help even out the position of the left and right side pedals???

Comment

Isn't this the reason why they are left and right crankarm? I think in my manual it said explicitly they were different and I should watch which is L or R. Is the distance from pedal to frame same on both sides? If it is I would assume everything is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by toro1978 View Post
        Isn't this the reason why they are left and right crankarm? I think in my manual it said explicitly they were different and I should watch which is L or R. Is the distance from pedal to frame same on both sides? If it is I would assume everything is ok.
        The threads for pedals are opposite: left-hand threads for right crank / right-hand threads for left crank.

Comment

This is an old thread, but I would like to add some Info, probably known to most people already.
          The motor doesn't mount symetrically indeed. In Your case You had the needed offset crankarm inclusive, but I had identical crankarms with the same offset (left and right side of course). After a while I noticed I had about 15mm on crankarm to frame distance on the right side, but only 5mm on the left. It still cleared the chainstays, but You know, once seen it can't be unseen and You want it fixed. I was waiting to have the extra cash needed to order an offset Bafang crankarm, which in my case would be expensive, since I live in Europe.
          I was looking for some bike parts in my cellar, when I stumbled upon the Shimano cranks from a MTB donor bike I had in pieces. As I had the left crankarm in my hand, ready to throw it to the side, I noticed that it had a pretty big offset. It had the same length (170mm). I took it upstairs to ompare to the original and it cleared the chainstays indeed much better.
          Last edited by toro1978; 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Oh that's cool. I did't even think of using a different set of cranks.

Comment

The bars are offset because the BBSHD usually mounts wide right. So the left crankarm is offset to at least try to keep the pedals centered underneath you. Depending on your install you may also need to take the further step of pedal extenders of different widths, although most people stop with just the one offset crankarm.

Lekkie Buzz Bars are specifically made to give you an 18mm offset. Right crankarm is straight as an arrow and left has a dogleg.

Comment

Working...
              X