Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBS02 for Single Speed Bike (Mercier Kilo TT WT) - why few track bikes here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 for Single Speed Bike (Mercier Kilo TT WT) - why few track bikes here?

Heya,

I just discovered the concept of building your own e-bike -- was previously obsessed with the VanMoof, but DIY sounds a ton more fun, and way more powerful.

I'd love to adapt my existing bike to an e-bike, but noticed that most conversions are fat bikes. Shocks and big wheels are great for snow and terrain - but I live in Brooklyn. Are there any major pitfalls from converting a Kilo TT? (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...-wide-tire.htm)

Thinking of using one of the LunaBikes kits and asking my local bike shop for a hand in replacing the bottom bracket. The bike doesn't need to go far, or hard, just help me get over the Williamsburg bridge and be a blast to ride.

I don't think most conversions are fat bikes. Since you mentioned the bottom bracket, I assume you were thinking of a BBS02 or BBSHD? These should work. However your bike is a single speed and one of the reasons people go mid-drive is so they can continue to take advantage of the gears on the donor bike.

f it were me, for that bike I would be looking at a geared hub motor something like https://lunacycle.com/geared-hub-ebi...front-or-rear/ or even something smaller and more stealthy. Depending on your distance a Mighty Mini battery pack from Luna might do the job.

Just my opinion.
    Providers of quality ebikes, electric bike batteries, motors and components at affordable pricing.

Comment

A similar bike with a 3-speed IGH would ride about the same, but be more versatile. Small addition for a large return, IMO. It seems sub-optimal to install a mid-drive if you are only going to have one gear, wasted potential. But you could do it, sure. If fixed gear I would recommend an HD instead of an 02, though, since you will lug it more. Unless you plan to run it gently.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Interesting! Hadn't thought about a hub motor but it makes sense for the reasons you've listed. I'll do more research. That or put in an IGH too.

Thanks!

Comment

In your research note the weight totals for each option
          my original setup was a Bafang 250watt with a 24volt 10amp battery hub now I've got a BBSHD with a 48volt 17.5amp
          pics are my 250 watt front hub 18-12packs of German beer other is at 17th St & Uranus Terrace in San Francisco

the BBSHD flies up that 17 degree hill

that tank was 100lbs and I was able to get all over San Francisco with a 250 watt 24volt
          Postmates was so impressed they put out a blog

10lbs vs 25lbs is the weight difference so I'm guessing most peeps that have a paper clip weight bike wouldn't want that much weight or obviousness
          hub motors with a disc brake are stealthy

I just noticed your location you do know that e-bikes are against the NY vehicle code and is strictly enforced
          Last edited by Robert Larrison; 01-10-2018, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Hey Robert Larrison - So would you recommend the electric-bike-kit suggestion? It looks nice -- stealthy, which is something I'd very much appreciate in NYC. Was when you were talking about the bafang vs the 'hill topper'

Any other kits you'd recommend for a stealthy e-bike?

Comment

The stealthist would be those Tour de France cheater setups they cost a few grand
              For normal peeps a rear Bafang hub is the least noticeable gear cluster on one side and disc rotor on the other
              the HillTopper is a front Bafang

BUT if your in the 5 boroughs you know what NY's finest are like and de Blasio had been going after e-bikes in a big way

I'd suggest having several conversations with bikers/messengers/food delivery peeps in your area to gauge if you can get away with it

I've been told by a friend that Brooklyn Assemblyman Nick Perry is working on legestation that will legalize ebikes
              I'd encourage you to find out if you can help http://www.nybc.net/
              Last edited by Robert Larrison; 01-14-2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Where would you buy a rear bafang hub? Would you recommend anything with PAS, so there doesn't need to be a 'remote' wire, and is more technically legal?

I'd really like something like the Van Moof bike, but my own frame. It has a modest assist, and uses a front hub. Looks like the Bafang BBS02 is a Pedal initiated throttle, not assist. It just... goes.

Looks like I'm stuck between Fast, Features, Cheap, pick two.
                Last edited by fsargent; 01-15-2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

NO! A BBS02 is the WORST motor for a single speed unless its a 42T X 38T or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by fsargent View Post
                    Where would you buy a rear bafang hub? Would you recommend anything with PAS, so there doesn't need to be a 'remote' wire, and is more technically legal?

I'd really like something like the Van Moof bike, but my own frame. It has a modest assist, and uses a front hub. Looks like the Bafang BBS02 is a Pedal initiated throttle, not assist. It just... goes.

Looks like I'm stuck between Fast, Features, Cheap, pick two.
                    For NYC, I would omit the throttle, for sure! PAS only. I believe throttle is the particular feature used to decide what is banned there. No throttles. Someone posted that on this forum recently, not my original info....but I don't recall were. Law should be easy to find?
                    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I did a quick search. This says pedal assist without throttle is LEGAL in NYC.....
                      https://www.grindtv.com/bike/bosch-electric-bikes-take-to-nyc-to-differentiate-pedal-assist-from-fully-electric/

Comment

Can you recommend a hub motor that can use pedal assist?

Comment

Mac, golden pie.

Comment

I'm using a Bafang BBS02 with single speed 20T freewheel. Not low enough gear as it's a pain to pedal without PAS, so I'm planning for a 22T freewheel and 30T chainring with Bafang adapter. Still, single-speed will do 35kph on full charge at PAS 9. It basically gets fast enough to be slightly dangerous on a bike at that speed.

Comment

• jakethe5nake
                              jakethe5nake commented
                              Editing a comment
                              you say you have the 20T freewheel currently with bbs02. What chainring do you have with that? 42T perhaps?

I run a BBSHD with a 30T chainring and 17T White industries freewheel on a Surley 1 x 1. Its a blast to ride and its my go to setup for introducing someone to ebike riding.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
                              commuter ebikes commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That sounds like an awesome bike.

White Industries freewheels are solid. The factory is a few miles from my house and I have been there a few times; what an impressive setup they have! They made me a dozen custom freewheel flanges for hub motors ($1,500). Flawless work.

BTW I am going to UBI in Ashland in April/May 2018 and June 2019.

• Scoonie
                              Scoonie commented
                              Editing a comment
                              BBSHD and BBS02 are completely different animals, the small chainring and large freewheel will detune the BBS02. The 02 is too easy to overheat. The BBSHD will run 30MPH at 42TX20T and never get beyond warm.
                          Working...
                          X