New handlebars on bike that will help me sit more upwrite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New handlebars on bike that will help me sit more upwrite

Hello everyone, you guys helped me a bunch on my last question I need to ask another. I have a mountain bike it is a Cannondale M300-400 something like that. Since I purchased that bike in the 90's I have become physically disabled at the spine which affects my whole left side. So anyhow, I have had cervical and lumbar surgery. I do not have much mobility. I can walk just not far. I am doing well but I would be doing better if I can get me an e-bike going. If I go to a set of handle bars like on an old girls bike. I cut and pasted an example below. Could I make this type of handle bar work on my old Cannondale? If I used that bike as my base bike and built off of it. Money is the issue I am always up against. I tried a recumbent trike recently and it was amazing. I would like to get one of them one day. An electric wheel on one of them would be like finding an new best friend. Fun stuff Wald 880 Hi-Rise Cruiser Bike Handlebar (23.25-Inches, Chrome, 10.5-Inch Rise)

Hi - I'm guessing the bike looks like this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Cannondale_1995_M400.png Views:	1 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	59868

and the bars look like this:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3374__79924.1403892922.1280.1280.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	59866

The bike looks like it has a 22mm-ish wedge handlebar stem (22mm being the diameter of the part that goes into the bike steering tube). I'm almost positive that bar won't fit in your existing handlebar stem, so to make this work you'd need to verify the dimensions and get another stem, maybe like this low cost Black Ops brand:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5707__75244.1403893470.1280.1280.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	59867

So, I think the parts list would be:
    1. The bar ($16)
    2. A stem ($11)
    3. Maybe new grips ($6)
    4. Longer shift and brake cables ($10)
    5. if electrified, a electric cable extension or two for the handlebar display / controls ($15)
    You might need to file out some materials from your existing brake / shift levers (and the stem) to fit this bar - a course cut round file would be handy.
    Last edited by ncrkd; 03-13-2018, 05:29 AM.
    Intro: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ntro#post17033
    First build: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...0293#post20293
    Second build (in planning stage): Crust Scapegoat 650B wheels / BBSHD / Rohloff

Comment

Yes that is the bike.Thank you so much ncrkd for your help I am now trying to decide if it is better to move on to a better base for my body. I am going to need a tune up, tires and your list. I did go to a spring seat that helped cushion my spine. I have a decent front shock I can install also. Thank you again for your help. For the cost to get modified and on the road I may pick up something better suited for my body on Craigslist or somewhere. I do thank you for your time and effort to help me.

Comment

Working...
      X