Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City bike

Hi guys,

I need some advice for my city bike (28 inch, currently equipped with a front hub motor).

Do you think I can fit a mid-drive motor on this bike?

Click image for larger version  Name:	tempFileForShare_2018-05-03-19-03-26.jpg Views:	1 Size:	431.6 KB ID:	63653

Thanks for your suggestions,

Pompote
    Last edited by Pompote; 05-03-2018, 09:21 AM.

I'll knee-jerk guess a "yes" if the bottom bracket tube extends below the horizontal down-tube section - a picture of the bottom of the frame would be helpful to determine clearance issues, at least for the Bafang motors. The current kickstand mount position is a problem (other pictures of this model bike show the kickstand farther back), and I doubt you'd be able to fit much more than the tiniest of battery packs where you've drawn.

Comment

Hi again,

Here are some different angles :

Click image for larger version  Name:	post - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	63691

Click image for larger version  Name:	post2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	63692

Click image for larger version  Name:	post3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	63686

I'll move the kickstand in the back, as for the batteries I put them elsewhere, I'm just interested if a mid-drive motor can fit in that red box.

Thanks for your suggestions !

Pompote

Comment

The pictures help a lot. I'm guessing the chain guard support bracket is a flat piece, captured behind the right-hand BB cup - if so, you might be able to retain it and the guard.

I had in mind a Bafang mid-drive hanging down from the bottom bracket. I have no working knowledge of the Cyclone motors, but maybe the Mini Cyclone would fit inside the frame tubes where you drew the box. I'm sure the motor dimension drawings can be had, and you'd have to lose the chain guard most likely. Are you thinking of a rear rack mount for the battery?

Mini Cyclone (left side of upside-down motor):
        Click image for larger version  Name:	mini_cyclone-2__93594.1471561364.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	63705

Complete kit:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	mini_cyclone-1__19302.1471561364.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	63706

Last edited by ncmired; 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Hi again,

You're right bafang bbs02 won't fit in that place. Probably the cyclone motor would fit, but I have 36v battery that I want to reuse in this "upgrade". On the luna website there is only 48V+ cyclone motors.

Anyway, I made an up to scale carboard model to vizualize the bafang fit better:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180504_133038 - Copy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	63766

Here is what I thought I could achieve

Click image for larger version  Name:	two.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	63767Click image for larger version  Name:	two2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	63768

However, I liked how the bottom position would work :

Click image for larger version  Name:	three.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	63769

Click image for larger version  Name:	three2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	63770Click image for larger version  Name:	three4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.9 KB ID:	63772Click image for larger version  Name:	three3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.4 KB ID:	63771

And there is enough ground clearance :

Click image for larger version  Name:	four.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	63773

Now I'll have to see if the BB is the right type etc...

Pompote
          Last edited by Pompote; 05-04-2018, 04:40 AM.

Comment

There ya go - good job! My eyeball measuring tool thinks the center stand is going to have to shift back a touch.

A 36 volt BBS02 would be a better match to the brakes as well.

Comment

Working...
            X