Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15" Motobecane Boris FS NX - 100 mm or 120 mm BBSHD? What size ring gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wozzy
    commented on 's reply
    "I get very limited on how fast I can pedal (although that's also increased over time) because my "bad" leg (the expensive one =] ) won't stay on the pedal when I pedal too fast..."

AZguy, I saw on another forum where a guy modified his pedal with a strong Neodymium Magnet for this reason.

• xcnick
    replied
    I vote Ludi. Voting on build reports would be a great way to allocate Ludis. Battery sounds perfect. Even if you don't get stronger you will get skills to save. A goodie is to pedal with no assist at a stop light for a half crank or so before using any power. In theory you could drive the Ludi low enough to still get range, but human nature is such that an occasional blip of the throttle and you have undone all your hard work.

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    replied
    OK, Let's get this lame thread back on track ;-) pun intended.

I was lamenting the range on my bike earlier.
    This past weekend I took my bike to the Delaware River Canal Towpath.
    As you can imagine, it was very level. The surface was pea gravel or hard packed cinders.
    I pumped up my 26" x 4.0" tires to 18 PSI.
    I pedaled gently almost the whole time (High gear, PAS level 3 or 4 of 9) and tried to keep off the throttle.
    The ride was 20.8 miles total, and I I used about 25% of my battery. (I started out at 58.2V and ended at 54.1V)

All in all this seems very reasonable to me.
    I'm guessing my range issues for my normal local rides are due to all the hills and stop signs around here as well as my low tire pressure.
    Once the tires wear out I'll probably replace them with something less aggressive as I'm not really doing much difficult trail riding.

I gotta say I'm really pleased overall with the setup of this E-Bike.
    It's one of the funnest things I've owned in a long time, and the fact that I'm getting out and getting back in shape is great.

The icing on the cake would be to be able get a Luna Ludicrous Controller for my BBSHD.
    Last edited by Wozzy; 09-25-2018, 08:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Oh well

̅ \_0_/ ̅

• xcnick
    commented on 's reply
    for eight grand it better be clipless too. and another thread we highjacked. Sorry dude.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Haha... never did care for eating that stuff.... just made me "confused" for waaaaay too long... Other routes of administration (various forms of inhalation) the worst that can happens is maybe 20minutes of "confusion" and that ain't no big...

I had one or two of the "there I was thought I was gonna die" with the divers but those are best left for beer time =] A few on other sports too.

At least my ebike riding isn't terribly fast.... even 25mph feels too fast especially without protective gear. For good or ill I've developed excellent crashing skills from doing it since I can remember LOL... So far nearly all my spills are at a stop or close to zero speed because that expensive leg don't always end up where it should be. Had maybe two or three get-offs but according to GPS never faster than about 12mph although you still pick up a scrape and bruise or two at that speed...

Been saving up for a new leg next year... going for the best I can do without spending my meager retirement account for it... Likely ~$8K after insurance.... lighter, faster, stronger....

• xcnick
    commented on 's reply
    Not dingle diving, but where is the "thought I was going to die" story? Sock on the stump is critical. I did a few years helping the real handicap skiers at Alpine. They loaned me some million dollar chair during my recovery. However there was so much they never talked about in front of me about the fight to get pain away, but I did see the sock was a coveted item.

Just got back from the local pot shop. Started a lady friend on a 2 to 1 CBD to THC with the hope of getting off Norco or whatever nasty stuff they gave her. I will be very surprised if this works, but worth a shot. Overdosed her on the weekend, never go to a Merry Prankster for dosage advice, our thought is: "They are small, take two." Great fun on the beach all day and didn't scare her off. If you eat the damn stuff it lasts for like 14 hours!

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Sock(s)?

Living in AZ I generally wear sandals.... sooooo much easier...

Changing footwear is a major PIA and if the height between heel and toe is different I need to break out a wrench. The plastic foot doesn't bend so putting a shoe or especially in the case of a boot requires tools just to get them on the foot! Sandals sooooo much easier.

I still wear shoes for some of my customer sites but long ago just leave the shoe on for a few days and then as the weekend nears switch back to sandals unless it's unusually cold out or I'm heading to the backcountry and want the extra protection... I never change the sock on the plastic foot until they wear out so sort of had to just choose a sock for everything to make life easy. Plain black seemed the easiest choice.

Now there are socks between the stump and the leg but those are different ;-}

I had numerous surgeries and spent several weeks in the hospital in isolation.... very expensive. After the last two sessions I had to do infusions at home for 6-8weeks... Here's a real tip.... if you have to do infusions at home, the drip bags suck. They take time to setup and once you're infusing you are stuck where you are until it's done and mine took 2-3hours. I made a checklist to make sure I had everything so once I was stuck in one place I was good - last item was go pee.

Anyway the big tip is that if you ask around to get the right compounder, you can get the meds put into little pressurized balls that have a metered output. I'd hook up the infusion, run the tubes down my shirt and put the tennis ball sized meds in my pocket and go about my day. Huge improvement especially when you do three a day! When using the drip bags it was like half of my waking time was stuck sitting around and even when I was stuck to crutches and wheelchairs for darn near a year I'm not good at sitting around at all....

Then of course that first year their was the tons of opioids. At the time of the amputation I was doing at least 12 big hydrocodones daily, with various amounts of oxy and demerol (demerol was the most effective and least side effects for me) and plenty of dilaudid, demorol intravenously in the hospital. Docs warned me this was going to be a bad withdrawal but based on my past history also agreed that while very physically dependent, I was not addicted. And I tell you what... after they cut off that huge source of pain I tapered off and was cold turkey in a month. Was sick for a week, but beer and valium got me through the withdrawals. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone would get addicted to those. Can't stand them....

I was lucky with the dangle-divers. Over 600hrs with XC, plenty of aero, top landings, test flying and all sorts of limit pushing and worse that happened to me was a sprained thumb from biffing the moto on the way back to the top to retrieve the truck =]

• xcnick
    commented on 's reply
    I bet you have some great info to pass on like best sock to use for bikes compared to walking. After looking at your numbers, Orr must have done me a huge solid. Little over 10 grand total. Braces were used out of his back room. I was too long getting to him so I had infusions for infection that were suppose be done in hospital, but I just sat for hours in the broom closet. I remember him saying: "How much do you make at this hand gliding thing?" "The honor and respect of my fellow pilots." I said proudly. He didn't laugh at the time, but did 20 years later when I told him the story.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Mines a longer story... started out with broken leg and things got buggered after a couple of surgeries and at the end of a year of really bad stuff ended up on a prosthetic leg... then a couple of years later they had to dig in again and buggered things up again.... really bad.... several surgeries later and a long recovery and at least I'm getting around pretty well for an old guy after more than a decade after the original event.

Everyone seems under the impression I got compensated for all that... I've learned that it doesn't work that way... The first year alone was >$250,000 in bills and about $30K out of my pocket... at least I had good disability insurance and medical insurance at the time or it would have wiped me out.

I remember when I was heading in for the amputation and to me, the prosthetic would be like a snowboard or glider or moto or whatever and given time it would just be another piece of sporting equipment to master. I don't walk with a discernible limp at this point. Even prosthetic guys can't guess which leg if I'm wearing long pants and even though I wear shorts in this AZ weather as often as not, there are people that won't even notice after many encounters and that makes me laugh =]

OTOH I can't stand or walk for very long. Particularly standing. I pay for it if even more than five minutes. Walking is only marginally better and it's difficult to navigate the rough terrain out here although I'm reasonably good at it, it's a lot of work.

I tried riding my regular MTB and while I could it really wasn't fun. Out of shape from no sports and activity for a decade and starting off was a pain and it was hard to go very fast.

Once I discovered the ebike thing it opened a whole new world. I can ride places that I can barely walk - deep sand washes, steep stuff, uneven terrain so much easier, etc. And I can get around for miles reasonably quickly. I ride many miles a week even in the desert heat - although I'm ready for an end to that this season!!!

Quite a life's ride getting to this point. Now I've got busy lucrative contracts, constantly busy, riding like a youngster and may even begin more overseas travel again... who knows?
    Last edited by AZguy; 09-12-2018, 05:40 AM.

• xcnick
    commented on 's reply
    Have I heard your story? I can't remember. Mine was a deployment at the Nationals in Lakeview sometime in the 90s. They put me back together so I see the expense, but it seems they took the cheep way for you. In Lakeview they were going to amputate, but I escaped the hospital and drove myself back to Tahoe where the ski doctors are. Shout out to Dr. Orr for taking a payment plan and 20% discount for cash.

Been to the doc all summer and am in PT. But don't tell anybody. I ride electric because it is fun. Working on shoes right now and the Altra is fantastic!

Wossy, the Wolf has only 4p of 30Q cells and the voltage drop seems about right. I get even more drop from my Ludi. 30Q is a power cell, not distance. I have a 5p of GA cells that goes twice as far, maybe more and it is only 20% bigger. Love my wolf and use it where I want to save 20% weight at the expense of 1/2 the range.

• AZguy
    replied
    I am the six........ errrrrr.... thousand dollar man? Well heck it all cost closer to six million dollar really.... obvious that when that show came out medical costs aren't what they are today =]

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    commented on 's reply
    "...the expensive one..."
    Ha ha, I never thought of it that way.
    In a way it's a rip-off ... spending all that money on the bad knee, while the good one was basically free. :-)

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I've considered that but the PT from >6Kmi has made my knee so much better it's not going to be terribly beneficial at this point. The greatest reason for me in doing a short crank would be that I get very limited on how fast I can pedal (although that's also increased over time) because my "bad" leg (the expensive one =] ) won't stay on the pedal when I pedal too fast...

• Wozzy
    replied
    To help with my bum knee, I have a full sized crank arm on the right side and a short 4 inch crank arm from a unicycle on the left.
    It's funny to watch someone else try to ride the bike that isn't expecting it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X