Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15" Motobecane Boris FS NX - 100 mm or 120 mm BBSHD? What size ring gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wozzy
    replied
    Wow this is from a long time ago.
    I am still running the 203mm discs, but changed them to floating discs, because the first set of discs was very noisy, and began to rust.
    I've now got over 3000 miles on the bike and about 2500 miles on these brakes. I'm also using metalic pads, which stop very well.
    It's somewhat hilly where I do most of my riding, and me and the bike weigh 330 lbs, but I'm only getting aout 500 miles to a set of metalic B01S brake pads.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ind.
    replied
    Hey Wozzy. How's the new brake setup holding up? Did you end up installing the rears?

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    The chain is a mid-price shimano and the link is a KMC. I buy half dozen at a time and they aren't too expensive.... and.... don't tell anybody but I will reuse them for the life of the chain unless they show signs of wear. The gold was just what they had in half dozen quantity but it makes it easy to find and gives an easy spot to start/stop when lubing...

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    replied
    That Gold master Link reminds me:

Don't buy cheap Chinese master links.
    I thought I was getting a good deal on some gold colored 11sp Joofn missing links but after two of them failed in rapid succession I decided to stick with the ridiculously overpriced brand name links (KMC, SHIMANO or SRAM)
    I"ll only keep them as a second backup spare.

I did get a good deal on a returned/new in box KMC X11e 126link chain though for 50% off

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    There's a lot of great riding out here for sure. I've got spot I go that's miles of fun in the cooler temperatures about half hour drive. If I'm willing to drive an hour or two there's pretty much endless really good riding all year.

• AZguy
    replied
    These are simple pant leg protection - been using them for >50years and the mormon boys here all swear by them - when not using it just gets clipped onto the handlebars or belt loop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pantClip.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	79851

Your driveline is pretty close to mine now. I'm running a sunrace 11-46t all steel cogs fed by a 130bcd 42t narrow-wide. I've run 39t and have been thinking about getting a 38t narrow-wide just cus they make them but I don't really need it as low as the 39t goes anyway. The 42t goes low enough with the 46t first gear for me and I climb very steep and loose terrain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-HxmH7WP-XL.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	79850

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    replied
    AZguy, I was out in Tucson for a few weeks this fall. I really wished I had my bike there! It looks like an amazing place to go fat-tire offroad biking!

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    replied
    I updated my gearing. I had my jeans get caught in the chainring which broke a tooth on the chainring, and caused my rear derailleur to crash into the cassette, bending several of the aluminum gears. So I swapped out my Mighty-Mini 30t for a Mighty-Mini 36t, and replaced the SRAM PG-1130 11-42t cassette with a Suntour 11-46t with steel gears. I also had to get a longer chain. This setup is much better suited for me. I seems that it matches my cadence better for when I pedal, There's still plenty of torque at the low end, and it's topping out at 30 mph at the high end. So far I'm very pleased with this new configuration.
    Last edited by Wozzy; 12-16-2018, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    That's typical with metallic pads and one of the reasons most shops go for the faster wearing organic pads - better to wear out fast than to have the customer constantly complain about squealing. If it's any consolation mine don't squeal any more for the most part...

Leave a comment:

• Wozzy
    replied
    FYI, So far the front & rear 203mm rotors and Metallic shoes are holding up well. The only problem is that they squeal sometimes. I've got about 650 miles n the bike now.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I'm really hard on brakes but 350mi is way less than my worst case... make sure you have the caliper adjusted properly - 350mi seems like something is out of whack.......

• Wozzy
    replied
    I went through the first set of disc brake pads in 350 miles.
    Tonight I upgraded the front brakes to 203mm rotors and metalic pads.
    I haven't been able to test it yet (RAIN!), but hopefully it'll give me more stopping power, and longer brake life.
    I already have the hardware for the rear rotor, but I'll try just the front first for a while, for safety's sake.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Those are small - they look..... cute =]

Thanks for the link - It's my left so I'm good like that...

• Wozzy
    commented on 's reply
    I got mine here: https://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-ha...terless-cranks
    These fit the BBSHD, but I guess only useful for the the left side without the chainring.
    Last edited by Wozzy; 09-26-2018, 03:20 PM.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmmm... magnet....

I wouldn't want to put anything like a metal plate on the outside of the shoe (click, click, click when walking) and a plate inside the shoe would likely be too far from the magnet on the pedal to do much good but I suppose I could tuck a magnet in my shoe..... but then again I suppose I'd be picking up anything ferrous when walking.... Not sure how to make it work from a practical standpoint...

The shorter crank would be pretty easy to try though... not much to that...
Working...
X