Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Build Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I am an amateur tinkerer looking to put together a hardtail ebike and seeking suggestions.

I have experience fixing riding motorcycles, including offroad and have been commuting to work by bicycle, enjoyably for the last 8 months. I recently bought a lightly used Trek X-Caliber 7 29er hardtail which I purchased with the idea to convert, but I keep having second thoughts.

Requirements

I generally reach speeds of just over 40kph on my commute by my own power. It would be nice to have some assistance on longer rides or when I don't want to get sweaty but I certainly don't need it.

I would really like to get into technical mountain-biking and move away from motorcycling for a while. Looking for less risk, time and fuss than offroad motorcycling and something where I can practice in an empty hilly park.

I would like a system which is usable off road including up steep hills (say, 30 degrees). I intend to contribute leg power to get more momentum rather than relying on the motor.

I also don't want the system to be too intrusive when not using electrical assistance as there will be times when this is overkill for commuting. I would probably use the engine on a low level PAS while commuting to offset the weight of the motor and to require me to work hard. I am thinking that I could possibly use this for bikepacking on a low PAS too (?)

Since this will be arguably part "toy", cost and reliability are also relevant factors.

Engine Choice

My first choice is the BBS02 750W from Luna Mate. This costs $658 AUD. I have also considered the Cyclone 3000w which is pretty much unobtainable or would require exorbitant shipping.

While the BBSHD would also work, this is dearer ($955 AUD), heavier and I'd imagine it would require a better battery to use anyway.

Chainring

Of the stock sizes I would probably go with the 42t

Battery

This would be the next big choice.

52v Panasonic 11.5ah PF Shark Pack +$580.00
    52v Panasonic 13.5ah GA Shark Pack +$660.00
    52v Triangle Panasonic GA 18650 24ah Pack HIGH POWER + LONG RANGE +$1,100.00

I am thinking that either Panasonic shark would be best for my requirements. I have done a lot of lurking and can't find an accurate way to gauge max speed / distance with each battery. I'd be looking for about 50km range while in low level assist and about 15-20km with wide open throttle.

Other bits

I am not planning on opting for the lekkie ring or gear sensor. I will probably only buy the luna cycle BB tool.

I am also thinking of buying a 'solar storm' LED light which is about $8 with the unit only or $19 with a battery pack and either wiring it directly to the battery or running it on its own power.

Total Cost

This will bring the total cost to
    - Current bicycle - was 450
    - BBS02 - 658
    - Battery - 580-660
    - LED light - 8 to 20

Total $1,696 to $1,788

Your Opinion

Is there anything else which I should consider? Does my plan seem viable for my intended usage? What should I sacrifice when building and will I be disappointed?

I look forward to hearing the opinions of people who have attempted something similar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	$_86.JPG Views:	1 Size:	253.0 KB ID:	65757
    Last edited by Skeletor; 05-29-2018, 05:41 PM.

Sounds like you are pretty much hitting the sweet spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeletor View Post

I have done a lot of lurking and can't find an accurate way to gauge max speed / distance with each battery. I'd be looking for about 50km range while in low level assist and about 15-20km with wide open throttle.
      There are a few speed/distance simulators out there that can help. Here's a couple (and there are others):

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

http://www.electricbikesimulator.com...p?language=en#

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post

There are a few speed/distance simulators out there that can help. Here's a couple (and there are others):

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

http://www.electricbikesimulator.com...p?language=en#

Thanks for the link,

According to the second link I would get about 27km at 50kph on a 52v 11.5ah battery which seems decent.

I'm leaning towards the more expensive shark pack so I don't need to discharge as much of the battery. It might also let me take this system to 1000w more willingly.

Is it recommended to get the programming cable and go from 750w to 1000w with the BBS02? This would realistically be for offroad use only.

Comment

Working...
        X