Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat Bike Frame & Fork Recommendations needed from the Pro's...!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fat Bike Frame & Fork Recommendations needed from the Pro's...!!

    Hey guys... I'm looking for some recommendations from some of the Pro's on here. If anyone can help me out or provide me some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated

    I'm mechanically inclined and I've fabricated and built out a custom show car, but I'm new to the eBike scene and I'm looking for some direction.

    I'm looking to build build a Fat Tire Bike (26er) for an adult. From my research so far, I have a general idea of what I want to build. The Bike is going to be 95% street (flat streets, no hills) and "maybe" 5% off road. I'm looking to build out a rear hub DD motor (3000/4000w). For starters, I want to get your thoughts on a Frame & Fork assembly that will support that hub and 52v or more battery system.

    Thank you for any assistance you can provide...

    Rick






    #2
    I used Design Logic Da Phat frames & Surly Ice Cream Truck forks for four of my builds. This allows me to fit Vee Snowshoe 2XL tires front & rear.

    Comment


      #3
      Hello sir, thank you for the feed back, I'll have to take a look... did you pick it up online..?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by StudRock View Post
        Hey guys... I'm looking for some recommendations from some of the Pro's on here. If anyone can help me out or provide me some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated

        I'm mechanically inclined and I've fabricated and built out a custom show car, but I'm new to the eBike scene and I'm looking for some direction.

        I'm looking to build build a Fat Tire Bike (26er) for an adult. From my research so far, I have a general idea of what I want to build. The Bike is going to be 95% street (flat streets, no hills) and "maybe" 5% off road. I'm looking to build out a rear hub DD motor (3000/4000w). For starters, I want to get your thoughts on a Frame & Fork assembly that will support that hub and 52v or more battery system.

        Thank you for any assistance you can provide...

        Rick




        There is a lot of good information here http://electricbike-blog.com/

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by StudRock View Post
          Hello sir, thank you for the feed back, I'll have to take a look... did you pick it up online..?
          Yes. I buy the overwhelming majority of everything online.

          Comment


            #6
            @Calfee - Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to do a little reading.

            commuter ebikes - Do you think it would pay to do a Fame up build (piece meal) ... or purchase a quality "standard" Fat Bike where I can just add a motor/controller and batter...? What do you think would be the best bang for the buck...? Any sites that you would recommend for purchase...? Thanks guys..!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by StudRock View Post
              @Calfee - Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to do a little reading.

              commuter ebikes - Do you think it would pay to do a Fame up build (piece meal) ... or purchase a quality "standard" Fat Bike where I can just add a motor/controller and batter...? What do you think would be the best bang for the buck...? Any sites that you would recommend for purchase...? Thanks guys..!
              It is way more fun to do a frame off. This puts you in a great position to perform repairs on your rig. It takes a long time to research parts compatibility, but you will be learning as you read.

              A frame off takes longer and may cost more, but you can hand pick each component. When I did years of research, I came up with this https://police-ebikes.com/. I engineered it for performance and reliability. I made no effort to control the cost other than doing the labor myself. The Home page of my website has a "Parts List" link https://police-ebikes.com/parts-list. A lot of those links have sublinks to small parts; that parts list might be a good starting point for your parts search, but you will change many parts for your tastes, budget and application.

              I recommend https://lunacycle.com/, http://www.bikeman.com/, http://www.designlogicbikes.com/, http://lyen.com/, http://www.qs-motor.com/, http://www.zelenavozila.com/, ebay for Grade 12.9 hardware or brand name parts. I powder coat a lot of parts at http://www.gompc.com/ because they do such good work.

              I would advise to stay away from Grin Technologies and buying batteries and generic parts on eBay.

              If you end up using a QS Motor 205 50H http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_...Motor/259.html, plan on using a Kelly controller so that it will be plug and play. There is nothing wrong with a QS Motor 205 50H, but a Cromotor is an improved version of this motor. Cromotors are very nice!

              Even though I recommended Edward Lyen's website above, you should consider using a sinewave controller for efficiency and noise reduction. Use a 24 FET controller so that your controller will never overheat.

              Match your controller voltage to your battery voltage (e.g., 72V). Use an overly large BMS (e.g. 100A) so that you never burn up a BMS.

              You might also consider using a Cyclone 3000W (mid drive) system so that changing a flat tire in the rear goes quicker. If you decide on a hub drive, you can definitely successfully armor your tubes, but this adds a lot of weight.
              Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-01-2018, 01:11 PM.

              Comment

              Working...
              X