Building e bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building e bike

Alright so I'm currently in the process of designing and building a new e bike from scratch. One of the problems I ran into is the wheel setup. So it's going to be a really fast e bike making 16kw+ of power and so I want the wheels to be sturdy and capable. So I opted to go with dirt bike wheels. However the problem I ran into is that, if I go with a dirt bike wheel firstly the hub wouldn't accommodate a regular bike rotor 203mm for mounting, in other words the screws that you use to put the rotor onto the hub wouldn't line up, and if I were to use a dirt bike rotor then I don't think a bike caliper would fit.. keep in mind I'm trying to use a bike fork like rock shox and bike caliper like magura. Secondly in the rear I have the same problem with the rotor. So I said why don't I use a bike hub and fix it into a motorcross/dirt bike rim... Get the right spokes and go from there. Now if I do that in the front everything will be ok, however once I get to the back rim, I planned on installing a 42t or 60t sprocket, which again mounts with 5 screws and holes. The problem is the bike hub doesn't have those holes rather it has the placement for your traditional bike sprockets which I don't intend to use. Bottom line is I'm looking to use a dirt bike/motorcross rim and try and make it compatible with other bike parts. If anyone can give me a thought I would really appreciate it. The sur Ron bike has it figured out but I'm just not sure exactly how they did it.

Thank you

A Fat Bike would be my thought. But if your trying to build an Electric motorcycle build that. This would be bad press for ebike bicycles if you used it on the streets for day to day stuff. jmo
    2018 Motobecane Boris Fat Bike BBSHD Build

Comment

Originally posted by pure_mahem View Post
      A Fat Bike would be my thought. But if your trying to build an Electric motorcycle build that. This would be bad press for ebike bicycles if you used it on the streets for day to day stuff. jmo
      Yes I considered a fat bike rim however with the rear hub I wouldn't be able to attach a sprocket to it the type that installs with 6 screws similar to what I have in the picture below.
      Attached Files

Comment

Would the Sur-Ron super-moto wheel set fit your needs?

Distributors and builders of high power electric bikes and trail bikes plus parts

Comment

What about having a sprocket machined with the holes you would need or water jetted for your application...seems it might be cheaper than reinventing the whole bike around the sprocket you have.
          2018 Motobecane Boris Fat Bike BBSHD Build

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
            Would the Sur-Ron super-moto wheel set fit your needs?

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-super-...onversion-kit/
            Funny you mentioned that, after doing extensive research I decided on going with that set of wheels its the best offer I can find. Works perfectly.

Thanks tho

Comment

Working...
            X