Building a Quad and some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Quad and some questions.

I have been working on a design for a four wheel, two person human powered vehicle for quite some time. When I started this project electric drive was not a thing but now I want to incorporate two motors on the front wheel set leaving the rear wheels to human power essentially making the unit all wheel drive but giving it the boost that the electric motors can provide. The motors I have are 1000w/48 volt with hall sensors and wil be mounted into 20 inch 4.5 inch fat rims. So the questions are. Do I need two controllers working in parallel or can one large capacity controller run these two motors? Can two controllers be set up in Parallel in the first place so they can be operated from one set of switches? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Actually with a bit more study I quickly realized that one motor must run in permanently in reverse rotation of coarse so that means that it will take two controllers set up in parallel, one with the reverse switch set. With these 3 phase motors one can not simply wire the motor leads negative to positive like on a regular DC motor. ohh well. we can't have any fun without complications.

Comment

With three phase you just swap two of the three to make them rotate backwards. If there are hall sensors that may need some fussing too though and could be the harder part depending on the motor.

I would still consider two controllers.

I have thought of a wide wheel base, agile, lightweight, very long travel (think ~24-30") one man rock climber with four hub motors... if I find myself with a lot of spare time and change (darn the two never seem to come at the same time) I'd likely pursue it. In my dream machine it would have all four hub motors and a steering yoke but be built very light and small with bicycle components. Simple electronics to control the power delivery to all four wheels that would ensure four wheel traction - it's brute simple for the electronics to know and control both torque and wheel speed. Fat tires, likely 26" and 4.5-5" for rolling over large rocks and awesome sand too (hit the dunes?).

Good luck and keep folks abreast...

Click image for larger version  Name:	ricky.gif Views:	18 Size:	1.3 KB ID:	76449
      Last edited by AZguy; 10-17-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I am going to order a couple of minimal spec controllers just to get the party started. I can upgrade those when I have the basic chassis built to satisfaction. They will burn out, blow up or work but it is all in the learning process. This thing won't be a Tesla but it should be interesting. I have only built and/or modified a few bikes before and have built one recumbent trik e. This is a step away from those projects.

Comment

cool "bike". I'm waiting for a few parts to add a 1000w front motor to my 1500w rear. Minimal spec controllers are a good idea i bought two of the ones linked below, 350w 48v for $15 each. As far as i know, connecting two identical controllers is a simple as taking one 5v thottle wire and connecting it to the throttle wiring for the other controller. The battery can be shared or two batteries connected in parallel. Out of curiosity, what type of front hub motor are you using? 9c?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-48V-350...72.m2749.l2649

Just a disclaimer, i am a beginner not an expert. Don't take my word about anything. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X