Tool batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool batteries

I wonder about the viability of using tool batteries on and e-bike. I'm looking at the Milwaukee M18v batteries with 9ah capacity. You can buy 4 of these from Home Depot for about $600. They are listed as 18 volts even up...would a 2s2p configuration give a solid 36v 18ah battery pack. I've been looking into 3d printing some mounts for this arrangement. One big advantage is that if one cell failed it would only need 1/4 of the battery replaced at about $150 rather than the whole thing at $600.

I noticed today that 18v Milwaukee battery can be had in a 12AH version through Amazon for $150. That would put 36v 24AH at $600 or you could run just 1p2s for 36v 12AH @$300.

Comment

When putting together my bike I used the 40v battery out of my lawn mower to test it before getting a regular battery. I was surprised at how far I was able to run it.

Comment

That brings up another point about ebikes...I’ve often thought that having a fairly small yard, I should consider a rechargeable push mower and power it with whatever batteries my ebike is using. I’d guess that a little 24 volt mower would run just fine on 36v...

Comment

I starting running my 20v hedge trimmer on a 24 battery but I'm not sure a 50% boost in voltage would be good for the mower.

Comment

Blade top speed is a concern on a mower. 50% more volts means 1.5x design speed, unless it is speed control with closed loop.. That's risky, could fail a blade.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I’m thinking too that 18v Milwaukee batteries when doubled in series would be just 36 volts even while a lot of ebike batteries are rated 42 volts max and somewhere aroun 32 volts lower cutoff.
              Also, I’m thinking theft resistance might be a problem too since tool batteries are so easy to pop out and readily marketable.

Comment

• JPLabs
                JPLabs commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with both points. Tool batteries seem to state Max voltage, more is better marketing syndrome, I suppose. Ebikes use nominal. So, yeah, it's an even bigger difference.

If possible, look inside the mower controller and see what voltage rating is listed on components like capacitors. Anything higher will be high risk, for sure.

I think it will work fine if you can make it financially competitive. 36v packs are not too expensive. You will have a slight inconvenience with multiple chargers or sequential charging. Go for it if you think the math works! I wonder what brand cells are in those?
              Robert

Comment

One thing that has made me look at alternative battery sources is that high quality 36v bike batteries seem to be getting in short supply. Several dealers are showing out of stock on brand name cell batteries in this size. Maybe the trade/tariff situation has put a damper on the supply situation or the end of year sales have depleted inventories. Maybe supplies will improve after the new year.
                I’m thinking too that 48v is eclipseing the 36v system as the US standard of choice...but I still think 36v is a good power level for a rider that wants to do a little peddling with the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by CoMoBiker View Post
                  One thing that has made me look at alternative battery sources is that high quality 36v bike batteries seem to be getting in short supply. Several dealers are showing out of stock on brand name cell batteries in this size. Maybe the trade/tariff situation has put a damper on the supply situation or the end of year sales have depleted inventories. Maybe supplies will improve after the new year.
                  I’m thinking too that 48v is eclipseing the 36v system as the US standard of choice...but I still think 36v is a good power level for a rider that wants to do a little peddling with the ride.
                  You can get a complete 40 volt Lawnmower for $199. That's the battery I used on my 36 volt bike. I didn't measure how far it took me but if you are using it as a boost to peddling as not as full power you should be able to get a few miles out of it. You need to rig up a connector but that was pretty easy. A couple spade connectors and wire.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-v...xoC-RIQAvD_BwE

$80 for battery and with some looking you can likely find both cheaper.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-v...RoCkWYQAvD_BwE

Comment

That 80 dollar battery is 2.5 AH...I’d need to run 5 or more in parallel to get the kind of range I want. My current sla pack is 12 AH. I’ll probably end up buying a 36v 20AH lipo bike battery some day.

Comment

I really like my EGO 14S mower and string-trimmer. It is marketed as "56V", but it is what ebikers call 52V. Here is an article that might be helpful...https://www.electricbike.com/cordles...ies-for-ebike/

Comment

Thanks, that article was very helpful. It makes me think a pair of Milwaukee 36vx12AH batteries in series might work fairly well. Two of these can be had for about $300 from Amazon.

Comment

I am building a battery for a Vector Typhoon and I decided to go the tool battery route. I bought 22 DeWalt DCB-206 batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181121_17_56_49_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	79479

I suppose I should start a thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X