29er Hard Tail (Rocky Mountain Flare) City Commuter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29er Hard Tail (Rocky Mountain Flare) City Commuter

I have a Rocky Mountain Flare 29er that I am thinking of converting to an ebike. This would be used mostly for city commuting. Any suggestions for where to get started? I was looking into the BBS mid drives, but this is all new to me so not sure which would be best.

I am only mildly experienced to offer my opinion, but if you give us more info it will help everyone serve you better.

What does your commute terrain look like? Flat or hills? If hills are they big or small? What distance is the commute? Will you be using it only for commuting or do you ride trails on the weekends? Do you like to pedal along with the motor or do you want to ride throttle only and do no work?

I Googled your frame and at a glance it looks like a nice fit for a BBSxx motor (nice sharp front tube angle to allow the motor to sit up high off the ground). It lists "suntour sealed cartridge" for the bottom bracket. I'm not exactly sure of the details for that BB but it sounds like a regular BSA threaded so should be a perfect fit but you need to check on that and check that your bikes BB housing is 68-73mm (it should be one of these and if so you can order that size BBSxx if that's the motor series you decide to go with).

Anyhow give us some more info and we will try help you decide what to go with.
    Last edited by AndyZ; 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Well said, Andy.

For the OP - flip the bike upside down, and take/post a picture looking straight down at the bottom bracket. Include the first few inches of the chain stays. This gives us an idea of the bottom bracket area clearance/interference related to installing a mid-drive motor. If you get a moment, have a look at the knowledge base, specifically https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ight-bbsxx-kit
      Last edited by ncmired; 01-17-2019, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyZ View Post
        I am only mildly experienced to offer my opinion, but if you give us more info it will help everyone serve you better.

What does your commute terrain look like? Flat or hills? If hills are they big or small? What distance is the commute? Will you be using it only for commuting or do you ride trails on the weekends? Do you like to pedal along with the motor or do you want to ride throttle only and do no work?

I Googled your frame and at a glance it looks like a nice fit for a BBSxx motor (nice sharp front tube angle to allow the motor to sit up high off the ground). It lists "suntour sealed cartridge" for the bottom bracket. I'm not exactly sure of the details for that BB but it sounds like a regular BSA threaded so should be a perfect fit but you need to check on that and check that your bikes BB housing is 68-73mm (it should be one of these and if so you can order that size BBSxx if that's the motor series you decide to go with).

Anyhow give us some more info and we will try help you decide what to go with.

Thanks for taking the time to respond! The commute has some decent hills, but is only about 4 mi one-way. Some of the hills are pretty big, I've attached a screenshot of google maps showing how steep the route is. I would mostly stick to commuting, along with the occasional weekend ride on the NCR trail (10 ft wide stone dust surface). I think I would probably want to have the ability to pedal along.

I had read a post about checking to see if the BB is threaded and the 68-73mm requirement, I will work on getting that done and follow back up here once I have some answers. Thanks again!

Comment

• AndyZ
          AndyZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Well with some decent hills in the mix you would get better battery range and motor performance from a mid drive such as the BBSxx motors. Many people may say to go with the BBSHD because bigger is always better, but I think it really depends on your riding style. I have both the BBS02 and HD and I like them both for different reasons. I have an HD on a full suspension offroad bike and it is perfect because I want as much power as possible. I have a BBS02 on a folding bike and it is perfectly suited to that build. The HD would be over powered. I built a townie recently and had to decide between the 02 and HD. I went with the HD but I find it is overpowered. It's not that the Townie can't handle the power. It easily can. But just that I don't need that power on the Townie for the type of riding it gets used for. Fyi I live in an area with massive hills.

If you want to ride your hills with throttle only in an abusive way, slamming on the throttle and brakes as you weave in and out of traffic, then there is a good reason to have the HD, but if you want to pedal along with the bike and simply get to work without breaking a sweat, the 02 is plenty motor enough for that. I find it to be a more intuitive motor to pedal along with as well. It allows you more usable range so to speak where your body and the motor work together whereas the BBSHD is so powerful it quickly overtakes your pedaling effort and you are left doing nothing while it moves the bike entirely by itself. Of course, the 02 has the power to do that as well, but the HD does it much sooner (in a lower assistance level). That power can be tamed and modified if you get a programming cable from Luna (which you should do with either build option because programming to suit your preferences is cool), but if you are going to program all he extra grunt out of the HD then you may as well get an 02. That's the situation I find with my Townie.

But all this is only true for my riding style on that one bike, which to me sounds similar to what you will do. I have nothing against the HD and it is a great choice for other bikes or riding styles, but my opinion is go with
          the 02 (but I think others may disagree and hey that's what's personal preference is all about!) :)

Edit: to add to this, if (and only if) you want the lightest and most efficient and most stealth build that I know of, go with the 02 and get the 6ah mighty mini battery. The battery should get you there and back no problem if you pedal along, or if you ride throttle only then just charge it at work. Only takes a little over an hour to charge with Luna's upgraded charger. That battery fits in a seat bag and is amazingly stealth. Here is a link to the folding bike I have with the 02 and that battery in the seat bag. I just love this set up and want to do it on my next build. I think it is on sale as a package under the "4th anniversary sale link":

Distributors and builders of high power electric bikes and trail bikes plus parts

If you want more battery for longer rides then get the next size up +/- 12ah and mount it in the frame like a traditional ebike.
          Last edited by AndyZ; 01-17-2019, 06:04 PM.

• rirrutti
          rirrutti commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the detailed reply AndyZ. It sounds like the 02 would fit my needs nicely, but after measuring my BB I think my bike just barely surpass the 02's requirement of 73mm. If I go with the HD would you still recommend the mighty mini battery?

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
        Well said, Andy.

For the OP - flip the bike upside down, and take/post a picture looking straight down at the bottom bracket. Include the first few inches of the chain stays. This gives us an idea of the bottom bracket area clearance/interference related to installing a mid-drive motor. If you get a moment, have a look at the knowledge base, specifically https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ight-bbsxx-kit
        Thanks! I'll be sure to check that thread out and try to follow up with a picture of the BB.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
          Well said, Andy.

Here are some pictures. Let me know if it would be helpful if I retook any of these at a different angle. It also looks like my BB housing surpasses the 73mm requirement for the BBS02, but I should be fine for the HD. I'm going to try taking my bike to a local shop to help me remove the BB from the shell so I can confirm there are threads and get accurate measurements.
          Attached Files

Comment

I think the ruler hung up on the drive side cup, and that you have a 73mm wide BB and possible not too bad clearance for/from the drive side chain stay. Maybe a BBSHD, 2-3mm of drive side spacers, and an Eclipse 42 to get the best chain line.

Comment

• rirrutti
              rirrutti commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you might be right. Would you suggest that I go with the standard or fat BB size option when ordering? Also I'm not seeing the Eclipse 42 chainring, I think only the 48 might be available currently. Do you think this would work just as well: https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...-42t-sprocket/ ?

• AndyZ
              AndyZ commented
              Editing a comment
              Get the 68-73 mm kit. Perfect fit for your BB.

If the Eclipse 42 isn't available, I'd go with the Lekkie 42 - to get the lowest, "left-ist" gear possible.

And, go with the 68-73 BBSHD. You'll lose some pedalbility compared to the BBS02., but I think it would do better during hot humid summer commutes.

Comment

Working...
            X