BBSHD Error 30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Error 30

I recently installed a Bafang BBSHD motor to my bike, and I programmed it to 20 amps max current at first. My bike is extra long, so the speed sensor wire was not long enough to install. As such, I got an Error 21 (missing speed sensor) 10 seconds after using the throttle or PAS. I ordered an extension cable for the speed sensor, but it hasn't arrived yet. For now I'm just restarting the display every 10 seconds because the bike is my only means of transportation.

I reprogrammed it to 25 amps max current (the BMS continuous rating is 30), and now the display shows an Error 30 (communication error), and won't tell my what my battery percentage is. Thankfully it'll still let me use the motor, but of course because of Error 21 I'm still restarting it every 10 seconds. Everything works though, the throttle works, the motor works, the low voltage cutoff works, the gear sensor works, etc. I'm not sure why it's giving this second error, and there doesn't appear to be any actual issues with the controller.

However, when I went to try and reflash the settings or change them a bit (maybe the combination I had was causing errors somewhere), the controller wouldn't connect to let me read or write settings. My programming cable has a blue light that is flashing at around 2.5 Hz whenever I try to connect, but it doesn't succeed. I have verified that my COM ports are correct, and the battery is on when I try to program it. I also restarted my computer.

Is there any way to override either of these errors? Or, is there something I may have fried? Could repetitive Error 21's cause an Error 30? Anything I could do to view my battery percentage or the watt meter would be helpful.

Hi skyecolin22,
    And welcome to the forum!

The communication error is from a loss of communication between the display and the controller. It uses three wires to do this.. TX,RX, and ground. Since the display lights up your ground would be good. So since you've had the connector apart a few times, I'm hoping you just have a bent pin on ether connection #3 or #5...(It's easy to do) If not, check the harness wires for continuity.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

I just checked, and none of the pins were bent. I'll need to find someone with a multimeter to test continuity.

Comment

Error 30 - communications/controller error.
        Most likely a display problem, a wiring harness or the controller. If possible troubleshoot with another display (if you have access to one) .....
        • Check your wiring harness for damage or bent pins. Pay close attention to the wiring as it leaves the controller going to the wiring harness, making sure no part of the wiring has been smashed by motor flex or random debris
      • Check if you have extensions for the brake levers, throttle or gear sensor. Unplug everything before testing, then test by plugging each component individually in and power cycling the system.
    • Check that you are not pinching the wiring leaving the controller, or the installation is causing the wiring to be pulling out of the wiring exiting the controller.
    • Unplug all plugs in the controller as shown here, then plug them back in.
    • I'd unplug everything except the display and see if it changes the trouble code. I think if the 5vdc regulated power supply is being shorted by something, loss of communication will occur.

May want to check for 5vdc at an easy location like the brake connector (see wiring pin-out below) to check if it's lost or weak.

Comment

I just checked, and none of the pins were bent.I also didn't find any issues with the wire coming out of the controller. I got the speed sensor extension wire, so now all I'm getting is an error 30. I tested with another display, and I still got the error 30. I'll be able to test it with a multimeter over the weekend. I'll test continuity in the wires as well as the 5v circuit.

Is it possible that noise from the battery wiring is interfering with the signals?

Comment

I just checked, and none of the pins were bent.I also didn't find any issues with the wire coming out of the controller. I got the speed sensor extension wire, so now all I'm getting is an error 30. I tested with another display, and I still got the error 30. I'll be able to test it with a multimeter over the weekend. I'll test continuity in the wires as well as the 5v circuit.

Is it possible that noise from the battery wiring is interfering with the signals?

Comment

Was the wiring of the battery the same as before? Or had you changed it? I would think EMF interference could be possible if you had the battery wiring wrapped around the harness close and several times. But I think it unlikely.

If your speed sensor works now, and the LED lights up properly. I would expect your 5vdc regulated output to be O.K.

Comment

I had to change the wiring and use butt splices with heat-shrink. The power wires and wiring harness are very close because they run along the same tube. The speed sensor works now.

Comment

• Working...
                X