Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Build - Is this bike a good test subject

Hi all, first post.
    I want to build a E-bike without sinking a ton of money into the first one.

This would just be just a cruiser bike, not an off road mountain bike
    I already have a couple carbon fiber mountain bikes I ride for exercise :)

A gravel road cruiser and around town bike is what I have in mind

A big fat tire rigid frame bike would be my first choice with a BB mounted motor
    A big motor and big battery pack is the direction I am thinking
    I am not concerned about going really fast, so sub 20 mph is fine

I don't want to sink multi thousands into this project
    I already do that with my carbon fiber bikes that I pedal

I have a ton of spare parts from building my own mountains bikes
    So I could swap out some of the junk parts on the bike below if needed

Would this bike make a good first build candidate?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoo...e-Red/42248079

Here's a pic of the monster I am thinking about starting with
    Attached Files

With the bikes price as it is you can't expect much in the lines of durability, especially with your plans of a big motor and battery. If a frame or wheel failure at speed are of no concern and you just want something to mess with than go for it. I have never regretted any money spent on ebikes. They are just that much fun. Of course if you invest in quality ebike components theycan always be reused on a better build.
    Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rokon View Post
      With the bikes price as it is you can't expect much in the lines of durability, especially with your plans of a big motor and battery. If a frame or wheel failure at speed are of no concern and you just want something to mess with than go for it. I have never regretted any money spent on ebikes. They are just that much fun. Of course if you invest in quality ebike components theycan always be reused on a better build.
      Have fun!
      That's what I was thinking
      Anything I do to this bike could be used on a better bike
      Thanks for your input

Comment

I like basic steel frames like this for ebikes. Even if that frame were to fail, chances are it wouldn’t be sudden or catastrophic like cf or aluminum and any shop with a torch can patch up most anything that fails. That frame triangle looks like it would easily hold a 14ah 48 or 52v battery pack.

Comment

Originally posted by CoMoBiker View Post
          I like basic steel frames like this for ebikes. Even if that frame were to fail, chances are it wouldn’t be sudden or catastrophic like cf or aluminum and any shop with a torch can patch up most anything that fails. That frame triangle looks like it would easily hold a 14ah 48 or 52v battery pack.
          Thanks for your input
          Yes, I think so too.
          The frame looks perfect for a cheapo conversion

BTW, there is a whole video series on youtube of a guy that bought the same Mongoose fat bike and did some upgrades
          He is not doing a Ebike conversions, but I got to see close up's of everything on the bike

He replaced several of the really bad components with better stuff
          Check out his Mongoose bike videos here
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHH...query=mongoose

Comment

The Fatbike should be here next week and then the build begins.

In the mean time, I decided to dig into my old bike tool box to see what was in there and to organize it.
            I shot this YouTube video of my bike tool collection
            There's a bunch of old bike tools I will never use again, but some may come in handle for this fat bike as I upgrade parts
            https://youtu.be/XVAy7UyGXpM

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post
              Hi all, first post.
              I want to build a E-bike without sinking a ton of money into the first one.

This would just be just a cruiser bike, not an off road mountain bike
              I already have a couple carbon fiber mountain bikes I ride for exercise :)

A gravel road cruiser and around town bike is what I have in mind

A big fat tire rigid frame bike would be my first choice with a BB mounted motor
              A big motor and big battery pack is the direction I am thinking
              I am not concerned about going really fast, so sub 20 mph is fine

I don't want to sink multi thousands into this project
              I already do that with my carbon fiber bikes that I pedal

I have a ton of spare parts from building my own mountains bikes
              So I could swap out some of the junk parts on the bike below if needed

Would this bike make a good first build candidate?
              https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoo...e-Red/42248079

Here's a pic of the monster I am thinking about starting with
              I chose a frame that would fit my needs for a daily commute and off road with good speed...30-45mph. If you are building a rear hub motor build then I suggest a very robust rear end. Check out the welds on this bike layout Gravity FX 2.0 Full suspension from Bikesdirect.com..If you do not need full suspension then take a look at Gravity FX Basecamp model.

Comment

I started my Fat Bike build.
                I created a build post in the forum here
                https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...watt-motor-kit
                I decided to do my first Ebike build with a cheap Fat bike and a Luna Fourth Anniversary BBSHD Mid Drive Kit Special. The motor kit may take a couple weeks to arrive, so I am prepping the bike while I wait The bike is a Mongoose Hitch steel bike. The frame is very solid and the wheels are very solid also. It's a cheap steel

Comment

Working...
                X