Best Starter Frame for Bafand BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Starter Frame for Bafand BBSHD

I am building my first ebike and am being overwhelmed by the number of choices. I prefer no full suspension because I want racks and fenders. My budget is $1,000-$1,500 (bike alone) and if warranted up to around 2K for the bike.

I have been scouring Bikes Direct and Bike Island for a while now.

It's just I'm overwhelmed by the choices and this is my first ebike build (previous normal road bike and MTB bike were just recently stolen.)

I'm planning on putting a Bafang BBSHD with Ludicrous controller on the frame.

I was leaning toward getting a bike that comes with "plus" tires or a fat bike. A Plus bike has tires that are bigger than traditional tires and smaller than fat bike tires - 3" width as opposed to 1.6 to 2.6 for standard’ MTB tires.

Anyone have any input or opinions on if I should just get a fat bike and then switch out the tires so I always have the option of larger fat bike tires?

I live in a NYC and do not do much offroad at all. Of course that option is always nice to have, but mostly I do city riding and deal with potholes.

There are even some Titanium options, which I'm considering.

In your opinion, what is the best type of frame to start with:
    1. Fat Bike - can switch out slimmer tires, but have option of fat.
    2. 29'er PLUS MTB Hardtail
    3. 27.5 PLUS MTB Hardtail
    Boondocksaints
    Last edited by Boondocksaints; 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM.

How about something like the Electra Super Moto 8i - 8-speed IGH, with Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5” X 2.80” tires. Fenders will require a fork mounting band, I think.
    P.S. Yes, I'm a Schwalbe fanwhore.
    ncmired
    Giga Member
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Rider
      Rider
      Giga Member
      Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice bike Trek has made there. Looks like an adult BMX city terror. I always have trouble getting the Electra site to load. Do you know if they finally started making the Super Moto in different size frames? I wanted one of these a while back, but it only came in a one-size-fits-all, which clearly didn’t fit me at 6’2”+.
      Rider
      Giga Member
      Last edited by Rider; 09-26-2019, 05:22 AM.

• ncmired
      ncmired
      Giga Member
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Rider, it appears that it is still just one size, as a "medium". Here are the only specs/measurements I could find:

Top Tube (effective) 625
      Seat Tube (effective) 483
      Head Angle 71.5
      Seat Angle 72
      Wheelbase 1101
      Standover 812

How these compare to a favorite frame you like after tweaking the seat/bar position/fixtures, you might be able to discern by jamming the numbers into the Bike Insights frame geometry comparison site: https://bikeinsights.com/compare
      ncmired
      Giga Member
      Last edited by ncmired; 09-26-2019, 09:59 AM.

• akbarism
      akbarism
      akbarism commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't find any BBSHD conversions of this frame, which bb length motor does this one take do you reckon? Looks like a straightforward conversion

There are stainless steel rubber insulated hanger straps that make perfect fender mounts.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Cable-Clamp-L...ushi/756687213
    They're common around here due to the boating industry. Other places IDK. If you're east coast any marine hardware should have them.

Comment

So many choices is right. I was in the same boat. I gave up and built what I wanted piece by piece. And came out at least than half the cost of an identical bike that had a much lower powered motor. Just be careful being in NY. Have seen a lot of news about the new ebike laws there. VERY strict. If I remember correctly a factory bbshd is over the limit. Add the Ludi controller and u may watch your new bike get impounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
        So many choices is right. I was in the same boat. I gave up and built what I wanted piece by piece. And came out at least than half the cost of an identical bike that had a much lower powered motor. Just be careful being in NY. Have seen a lot of news about the new ebike laws there. VERY strict. If I remember correctly a factory bbshd is over the limit. Add the Ludi controller and u may watch your new bike get impounded.
        Yes I know - have to make it "stealth."

What did you end up choosing for the frame? Or is there a build thread?

Comment

My build thread is "To build a better Ruffian" in the custom build section. Should be done this week. On the stealth issue, atleast the motor will still have the 750W factory sticker.........

Comment

Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
            My build thread is "To build a better Ruffian" in the custom build section. Should be done this week. On the stealth issue, atleast the motor will still have the 750W factory sticker.........
            Just checked it out. Looks sweet! Like a vintage motorcycle. I couldn't get away with anything close to that in NYC without tickets or confiscation.
            Boondocksaints
            Last edited by Boondocksaints; 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Thats sad. Here in Va, it qualifies as an experimental vehicle since it has all the safety items as a motorcycle. That classification allows for any speed you could possibly want, but then requires registration, tags, title, insurance(good luck getting that). So mine is not going to be reclassified, it will be viewed as a bicycle by police. But, in Va that means I can go on any street, not interstates(signs shaped like shield with route # on it) like 95. I would do the speed limit along with traffic on my last one, up to 40ish. Police never gave me problems.Most of them stop and ask about it. Met 2 that are bicycle cops in the summer and wanted to know about the install of the bbshd kit.

Comment

The problem in NYC was caused by E bike delivery riders riding on busy sidewalks, and against traffic. They were completely illegal for a while. Stealth is as much a riding style as a feature of the bike itself. You might wait until Ebikes learn to coexist with existing users there. Pedstrians rule, and mass transit is readily available. So they won't hesitate to come down on you. I ride urban South Florida, but I usually have empty side street options. Being seen and heard, being able to take a lane and keep up with traffic, and get the hell out of the way when needed, are all important to me. I use an air horn here, but in NYC you may spend more time airing it up than riding.
                Keeping it from getting stolen is a whole other matter. When police take bike theft reports they like to keep the value under the threshold for a felony so they won't actually have to investigate the crime. Theives know this. They also know all the tools needed to defeat any lock. One of the Bicycle magazines actually had a cover story that demonstrated how easy it was to steal a bike on a busy urban street. Listed tools and everything, with photos. So the theives know what tools they need to steal first so they can steal your bike. Any lock, any time.
                Also any accesories that aren't welded to the bike, light ,horn, saddle, handlebars,fork, wheels, batteries will be stolen. Just because "anything that can be stolen should be stolen" there. Like Miami they do it just to keep in practice. It's expected behaviour.
                My advice, find someplace else to live.
                Retrorockit
                Giga Member
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-15-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I find the fat bike frame the most versatile. For more tire choices I built a pair of 50mm wide rims which work with 2.8 - 4.0 wide tires. I also used a 27+ suspension fork which works with most 4.0 tires, in my case I like the Jumbo Jim 4.0. I did relieve the inside of the fork slightly.
                  On my old Intense Uzzi I use 50mm rims with 2.5 Hook Worm tires for the road and 2.3 for the trails.
                  My first 2 builds I went with the Gravity Downhill Monster frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
                    The problem in NYC was caused by E bike delivery riders riding on busy sidewalks, and against traffic. They were completely illegal for a while. Stealth is as much a riding style as a feature of the bike itself. You might wait until Ebikes learn to coexist with existing users there. Pedstrians rule, and mass transit is readily available. So they won't hesitate to come down on you. I ride urban South Florida, but I usually have empty side street options. Being seen and heard, being able to take a lane and keep up with traffic, and get the hell out of the way when needed, are all important to me. I use an air horn here, but in NYC you may spend more time airing it up than riding.
                    Keeping it from getting stolen is a whole other matter. When police take bike theft reports they like to keep the value under the threshold for a felony so they won't actually have to investigate the crime. Theives know this. They also know all the tools needed to defeat any lock. One of the Bicycle magazines actually had a cover story that demonstrated how easy it was to steal a bike on a busy urban street. Listed tools and everything, with photos. So the theives know what tools they need to steal first so they can steal your bike. Any lock, any time.
                    Also any accesories that aren't welded to the bike, light ,horn, saddle, handlebars,fork, wheels, batteries will be stolen. Just because "anything that can be stolen should be stolen" there. Like Miami they do it just to keep in practice. It's expected behaviour.
                    My advice, find someplace else to live.
                    Yes I'm (painfully) aware. My MTB bike stolen with U lock on. Then my road bike got stoeln with TWO U-Locks (NY Kryptonite). Ughhh.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                      Retrorockit
                      Giga Member
                      Retrorockit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My little brother rides NYC. He left Miami because it's too dangerous to ride down there. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale which is more suburban in nature forr the most part. Had his bike stolen. Stolen bikes in Miami get shipped to the Carribean islands.In Miami they have stores where everything in them is stolen. Gas stations, commercial lawn mowers, meat,, seafood, basically anything. They even caught a guy doing dental work in the parking lot of a flea market! That was in FTL. In Miami everyone just buys stolen bikes to start with.

Originally posted by Harold View Post
                    I find the fat bike frame the most versatile. For more tire choices I built a pair of 50mm wide rims which work with 2.8 - 4.0 wide tires. I also used a 27+ suspension fork which works with most 4.0 tires, in my case I like the Jumbo Jim 4.0. I did relieve the inside of the fork slightly.
                    On my old Intense Uzzi I use 50mm rims with 2.5 Hook Worm tires for the road and 2.3 for the trails.
                    My first 2 builds I went with the Gravity Downhill Monster frame.
                    Sweet. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm going fat bike frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X