chain won't stay on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain won't stay on.

Only stays on in the middle two to three gears. Any suggestions?

From the looks of it your chain line isn't a straight line. Where it wraps around the chain ring seems to be pushing outward. If you used any spacers for your BB that could be the reason it's misaligned
    Life Behind Bars

Comment

no spacers, 68mm bottom bracket, it's in low gear (1st) in the picture. It's an 8 speed Sram Via on an REI Buzz about 4 years old. I took off the front derailleur, should I have left it on?

Comment

I would suggest an eclipse chainring. It will correct your chain line by about 25mm.

Comment

There are a few threads dealing with chain lines http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...idn-t-work-out http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...th-mighty-mini You might find some others doing a search. As mentioned in the first thread, I never found a solution that I was completely comfortable with & bit the bullet going for a IGH system. It's still in the shop since spoking a rim to an IGH was more than I was comfortable with.

Comment

That is simply a bad chainline. Lekkie will improve. Eclipse even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
              That is simply a bad chainline. Lekkie will improve. Eclipse even better.
              do you have the Eclipse in stock?

Comment

Check the listings, if available they'll be listed. I'm on leave.

Comment

it says pre order on all colors but it let me order it so maybe I'll get it, Thanks.

Comment

Eclipses not only have the most inward offset to improve your chainline, but the extremely long teeth really help keep the chain on like mechanical Velcro ! My buddy and I have drivetrain combos like that. His struggled a bit at first, ran off the outside of the chainring in the highest (smallest) gear. Just a few mm over, and it's perfect now, never derails the chain anymore. Would are probably just a few mm off a very tidy build.

Comment

I ordered my Lekkie just 4 days ago because I asked about the Eclipse and they are not in stock yet with no word on when they will be in stock. They're coming from a single fabricator out of California so all the work load is on one man to produce them. This is all coming from a customer service representative from Luna. So I didn't preorder and went with the Lekkie.
                      Life Behind Bars

Comment

I don't even know wether I'll need to correct my chain line with a better chain ring. The kit has the new aluuminum 42T chain ring but the Lekkie caught my attention in Red. And it's more improved than the stock and 'new stock' ring.
                        Life Behind Bars

Comment

I have the same bike with BBSHD. Bought the 42T aluminum ring (Eclipse was sold out) and wish I hadn't. The line is terrible and chain still drops a lot.

Comment

I suggest that even though the wait for a pre order may be a few weeks it's by far the best chainwheel out there. The Lekkie doesn't even compare. I had a Lekkie in my shop for a few days on loan and while it's a nice piece, the Eclipse is also a piece of art. Pure and simple. It's well worth the wait. Preorder and get in the queue. When they come in they go out as the orders were received. I am a Luna CS guy on medical leave and I waited just like everyone else for mine this past spring. I guarantee, if the Ecplise is the ring you need you'll be thrilled once it arrives. NOW THAT'S NOT TO SAY EVERYONE NEEDS THE ECLIPSE. The lekkie may do the job. It was and OK fit on my rides. The Eclipse was the perfect solution. We have seen some cargo bikes where the Eclipse is to deeply dished and hits the chainstay. That's why there are varied products. One kit for MANY different geometries makes for sorting our details.

Comment

Thanks, I ordered one in black yesterday. Hopefully I'll get my motor issue fixed prior to receiving the chain ring.

Comment

Working...
                              X