Tools for bottom bracket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools for bottom bracket?

I haven't found an explanation (for newbie) on a set of tools needed for Bafang conversion anywhere yet. I do have only very basic tools (some wrenches and bits). To install a Bafang (which I'm about to order once the battery I want gets back on stock), some non-basic tools seem necessary, especially those related with bottom bracket. What tools should I have? Is there anything else that I have to have?

Welcome. If you click the "Articles" tab above you'll find a few articles that include the tools you'll need, such as this one: https://www.electricbike.com/a-diy-m...eet-and-trail/

Comment

I4C-UR2P Thanks!

Comment

this is a good article by Sheldon . I had cups. Used the home made remover on the right side with a pipe for a lever. worked like a dream. Didn't want to wait for a tool order. Already had the left side tool. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Comment

I f you watch the Luna install video you will see the the specialty tools that are needed. Only a few are needed.

Comment

Looks like there are various kinds of bottom brackets, although a 'Shimano' type seems dominant. In fact, I've ordered a hybrid bike with IGH, Swobo Fillmore, a few days ago (I haven't ordered a Luna kit yet because a battery pack that I want is out of stock now!). I don't know the kind and size of its bottom bracket yet. I've sent emails to Swobo, but they don't respond. I'd better wait until the bike arrives next week. Probably, it has the common Shimano type 68mm BB?
            Last edited by vivaldi; 04-20-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Make sure you have a lock ring tool to tighten the M33 locking nut, or get the specialty tool they show in the install video. I didn't have one today and none in town. Hammer and screwdriver. Will be getting that tool from Luna. Will make things easier in the future

Comment

Here's a step-by-step pictorial...

https://www.electricbike.com/removin...ket-cartridge/

Comment

A good old fashioned pipe wrench really works great on the inner lock ring. The harder you pull the tighter it grips.

Comment

I completed two bbshd installs on two Motobecane Boris X9's. I took the first one to a local bike shop and they removed the BB in 10 minutes for $10. I saw how easy it was so i did the second one only using channel lock pliers. The special tools would have only helped protect the aluminum locking nuts from minor scratches. Not worth it for me.

Comment

I eventually ordered the Bafang tool from California ebike.
                      I have a spanner wrench that worked ok, but getting that inner lock ring SUPER tight is more important than some people admit to.
                      Especially on an aluminum frame, and with all the torque a BBSHD puts out.
                      The "teeth" on the mounting bracket can "chew" up your frame if that nut is not VERY tight.
                      I already owned a Park Tool wrench that works beautifully on the outer aluminum ring, so the $35 tool was the cheapest "proper" tool I could find for 33mm 4 post.
                      Last edited by HD Rockhopper; 05-14-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• vivaldi
                        vivaldi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm about to order one too. I bought a Park Tool lock ring wrench, but it didn't fit the bafang inner lock ring perfectly, making it hard to get the lock ring tight as I want.

Nothing beats the Bafang tool and a 1/2" drive. In 55 years of building and wrenching I've never boogered up a part with the right tool. Making do has cost me immeasurably.
                      Buying right means you can sell and recover the investment. When I sold all my Vespa tools my cost was far less than rental and all the jobs were done right. 70% of my investment was recovered. Do it nice or do it twice.

Comment

https://california-ebike.com/product...bb-tool-bpt-1/

HD Rockhopper You're meaning BPT-1, right? Does it have 1/2" drive on one side? I cannot tell from the photos. If not, what tool do I need to use it?

Comment

That's what I ordered. It hasn't gotten here yet, I just ordered it a couple of days ago. So I'm not sure how it's used, I'll comment in a few days once I've held it in my hand.

Comment

Got it, no ratchet drive, just wrench flats. But, it is way better than my spanner wrench, and has a second function I haven't even looked into yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X