Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

<$100 "hobby" digitally controlled soldering station, Hakko FX-888D, is it any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's a 70W unit and comes in a fisher-price blue and yellow color scheme. I understand they make a more subdued adult-themed color"
    It's actually already in an adult color scheme. It's just that Hakko is a Japanese company, from a strange and wondrous world where adults are allowed to enjoy colors beyond gray and beige, heheh. ; )

Jokes aside, I'm glad you liked the unit. Beyond enjoying colors, the Japanese are also famous for making high quality stuff. Looks like Hakko continues that trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hideji View Post
      "It's a 70W unit and comes in a fisher-price blue and yellow color scheme. I understand they make a more subdued adult-themed color"
      It's actually already in an adult color scheme. It's just that Hakko is a Japanese company, from a strange and wondrous world where adults are allowed to enjoy colors beyond gray and beige, heheh. ; )

Jokes aside, I'm glad you liked the unit. Beyond enjoying colors, the Japanese are also famous for making high quality stuff. Looks like Hakko continues that trend.
      Hahaha... I guess that having spent most my life in the US (I spent a few months in Japan and several years in several other countries) I'd still much prefer the gray and beige... the blue/yellow just doesn't look professional to my eye

Regardless, last two years I used the unit for a lot of professional work and it's a really solid unit. The super fine points were able to deal with tiny little SMT parts (1005 - 0402) very well and I had to remove and solder down a bunch of RF shields that were soldered down to grounds that were huge thermal sinks and the large chisel tips worked well although I had to turn the unit up to the maximum (480C) which I don't like to do - it's hard on the tips and elements but at least they don't cost much and it's great it could do that.

During that time I've had to change the settings a lot and after doing it a few times I now find the interface super easy and don't forget how to change them. I've also really gotten into the habit of as soon as I know I'll take even a short break I immediately turn it down to P1...

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW - I also did several XT90's and with the 3.2mm chisel at 450C were a complete breeze... takes only as long as it takes to feed the solder in - they are immediately hot enough to melt it (I really hate waiting for under-powered units to get to melt) and in seconds you can feed enough in to make a perfect joint without overheating the connector... it's really a pleasure compared to the cheap pencils and guns...
    Working...
    X