No announcement yet.

Kollter Banshee Storm - I bought one, maybe you can find out if you want one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kollter Banshee Storm - I bought one, maybe you can find out if you want one

Has anybody seen this thing? Branded as a Kollter Banshee Storm. It looks like a full size or close to full size MX bike. It definitely has a unique look.

https://naticycle.com/ols/products/banshee-storm-type-r

https://kollterus.com/current-models

I bought one and here is my initial review
    Photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9fyBax29oT851ANY8

tl;dr; - I'm very happy with this purchase. If this thing is reliable for the next several years then this was a great decision. See below for specifics.

Sizing: The Kollter Banshee fits me very well and is comfortable for me to ride. I feel cramped on the Surron (even with riser bars, I could have installed extensions for the seat to help). I'm 6f/183cm tall, I weigh ~150lbs/68Kg, and I've got a narrow backside. This is a full size MX dirt bike with a narrow seat so it fits me pretty well.

Power: This thing might have more torque than any other off-road bike I've ever ridden, including some race ATVs. 22kw is 30hp, and that doesn't seem like a lot. But the torque is instant and unforgiving (that's a good thing). It took maybe 40 minutes for my right wrist to adjust to this much power, but after that I was hoping logs and roots and rocks like normal.

Range: I rode the bike for 2.5 hours today in some real muddy trails. When I put it away it showed 78V and 4/8 bars. When I started it hat 90.5V, and I couldn't actually tell if I could notice any decrease in power at this point. I was pushing the bike harder as I gained confidence so I'll try to pay more attention to this next time out. Regardless, I can only last 2-3 hours before I'm exhausted and this just needs to outlast me.

Transmission: I spent most of the day just riding in 2nd. I think it goes up to about 40mph in that gear, and that's more than enough for trail riding for me. I did find myself downshifting to 1st to get regen braking on some steeper/looser descents though. Also, having 1st gear so low made loading this thing with eco mode a breeze (more on eco mode in safety).
    The travel required to change gears is longer than I am used to. This might bother some people but you don't really have to shift that much and it's just a 4 speed sequential gearbox. Replacing the guts is probably doable if it you can't get used to it.

Brakes: I would describe the brakes as more than capable. However it's a 2 piston floating caliper in the front, and a 1 piston floating caliper in the rear. Sand just gets in there and makes stuff squeak. I'm sure I will replace these with a 4/2 piston calipers in the near future when they start singing the song of their people. If you don't have a lot of sand they're probably going to be fine.

Suspension: The bound/rebound is adjustable front and back. I dialed everything back a couple clicks from factory settings and that felt pretty good on the trails. It was rolling and wheeling over rocks, roots and logs like a champ after that.

Tires: Standard MX tires. I forgot how much I missed having traction. I can crawl up hills with these tires.

Displays: The battery status display shows a charge indicator and is also a voltage meter. The display between the trees shows a tachometer, speedometer, odometer and gear indicator. It also apparently has a check engine light which I only noticed when the sun hit it just right and I freaked out for a moment.

Chassis: I was worried about the welds on the bike but everything seems to be holding together great. It is steel so it's pretty strong. As long as it stays together for the season I'll mark this as good.

Safety:
    Eco mode - I thought this was the dumbest thing ever to have on a 22kw monster off-roader... Until I had to drive the bike up my carrier ramp and I could just put it in eco mode and 1st gear, and let it creep up. Now I'm super glad it's there because loading a 200lb bike by yourself is not fun. Eco mode feels like the power is restricted to 1-2kw of peak power.
    Wireless keyfob - It plays little chimes when you lock and unlock the bike, which is weird. But my home appliances also do that so I guess that's just where we're at now in humanity. Also I no longer have to worry about snapping a key off in the ignition on a weird wreck.
    That's it. It's an off-road bike. This bike has no tilt sensors or brake sensors that will cut power to the engine (I removed the sur-ron's brake sensors anyway). You're doing something inherently dangerous just by riding it.

General comparison to the Sur-Ron Light Bee/X: Apples to oranges. These are totally different machines made for different things. I'm not sure if they'll have a big overlap in audiences.
    The banshee is a full size motocross bike. It's taller and it weighs ~220lbs/100kg, and you'll notice that difference the first time you have to pick it up. It has the standard issue chonk of a rear MX tire. It will go 80mph.
    The light bee weighs half as much and costs about half as much. It uses a mountain bike fork, has half the battery capacity, and probably looks enough like a bicycle to not get hassled if you ride it around town.
    The light bee was limiting me on power and traction. Also, I hurt quite a bit after a long ride from being cramped on it. You can add more power to the light bee pretty easily (Luna did some crazy 30+kw mod). And you can make it fit bigger riders better (extensions for seat and pegs. riser bars. etc). However I could not find a reasonable way to get a fatter rear tire on there.

Would I recommend one? This thing is not for everybody. I'm very happy with it so far and I think the price is fair. Buy this if you want a high powered electric MX bike (and you don't want to drop $11k on a KTM Freeride that's 500 miles away anyway because very few dealers are licensed to sell/service them).

Update log

Update (2021-03-25): I bought one. And it was just delivered today (Thanks Greg!) and I cannot wait to take this thing out on Saturday. It feels like a torque monster. I'll put out a write-up on my first experiences with it next week.

Also, a fucking massive shout out to naticycle's customer service. There was a shipping issue and Greg drove this thing half way across the country to deliver it to me. I would have never expected that.

A photo album that I will start adding more pictures to after work.

Update (2021-03-26): I gave the bike a once over before taking it out tomorrow for a big ride. Added a few more photos showing suspension and brake parts, as well as some chassis welds.

BTW: I ride regularly at St Joe State Park in MO if anybody wants to see it in person and you're around me.

Update (2021-03-27): I took the bike out for it's first real ride. Rode for about 2.5 hours on sand flats, trails, and hills. It was also very muddy and wet. Added more to photo album and put a bunch of details above.
    Last edited by DarkStang; 2 weeks ago. Reason: first ride experience

Looks pretty good but no real information on it or reviews.It’s probably the Surron’s big brother( same name Storm),says it’s instock.
    Last edited by Kauaiguy; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

I don't think so, unless Surron dramatically changed things up on theStorm Bee.
      https://electrek.co/2019/09/22/first...ic-motorcycle/

I think it looks great but I don't know if the frame is going to be durable. I've only seen stuff like that on KTM adventure bikes.

Comment

Banshee Storm is not a SurRon Storm , It is extremely powerful and comes with 4 speed manual transmission with clutch. I rode one today and it's more power them CAKE INK . Acceleration is crazy , wheelie on any speed and gear!! Heavy bike with big tires. More powerful then 450CC

Comment

• Kauaiguy
          Kauaiguy commented
          Editing a comment
          How heavy is it,it looks heavy.

About 200
        check Instagram - Kollter USA Electric Bikes (@naticycle) • Instagram photos and videos

Comment

We will be making video review very soon , so fat this is most powerful electric bike we rode

Comment

I'm sorry - "so far it is most powerful bike we ride"

Comment

200 is not that heavy,the Storm bee was around 260,will be looking forward to a review!What suspension does it have,is it Mtb forks and shocks?Also looks like it has a wet clutch and oil pump.Very curious about this bike.
              Last edited by Kauaiguy; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

nati cycle - YouTube

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                  Kauaiguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How about a video with the storm racing a 450 on a motocross track with Pro riders?

I bought one and I can't wait to take this thing out on Saturday. Updated first post with some notes and a link to a photo album.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                  Kauaiguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Let us know what suspension it has,makeup of battery,any other details you can describe.Please

I added some photos to the google album showing close ups of the suspension and brake model numbers.
                Front fork: Fastace AKX28RC - Can't actually find this on the fastace.com website
                Rear shock: Fastace BDA07AR with a 300lb spring (http://www.fastace.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=81)
                Front brake caliper: zhy2093 - Appears to be a generic 2 piston caliper, probably easy to replace if you wanted something beefier: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968951232.html
                Rear Brake caliper: zhy1093 - Appears to be a generic 1 piston caliper, probably also easy to replace: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955873929.html

I also added a couple photos of the chassis welds. Note: I am not a weld expert by any means. Most of them look great, some of the more hidden ones look kinda gross. I think they look strong enough to hold but I'm guessing cleaning them up from inside is kind of a PITA so they don't bother because they're hidden.

I have not pulled the battery out yet, but in technical terms I describe it as "she's a big boi".

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                  Kauaiguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the info,I could not find that model of fork on the Fastace site either.Some of those welds look pretty sloppy.Any spares available like clutch plates ,etc.
                  Last edited by Kauaiguy; 2 weeks ago.

Went for a good ride today. About 2 hours of real seat time over a 2.5 hour session, which was enough to wear me out thanks to all the mud out there today. I updated the first post but the two big things I want to point out:
                1. 100kg isn't a lot until you have to pick it up, which I got to do twice thanks to MO's finest clay soup and some leaves hiding a root.
                2. God damn, this thing has torque. Any time I was turning less than 5,000 rpm and snapped the throttle, that front end came right up. Feels great.

The welds just seem like they haven't been cleaned up if you can't see them. I guess I get it, grinding inside of the chassis is probably a PITA. They seem more than strong enough though.

Regarding spare parts, from what I can see most of the controls are standard stuff. The brakes appear to be a KTM or Husqvarna equivalent part. Front fork, rear shock, handlebars, pegs, hand controls, foot controls, chain and sprockets all look like normal stuff. I'm unsure about the clutch but maybe Greg will chime in. I've never actually burned a clutch in an off-road bike. As little as you need to use this one I assume I'll never need to replace it.

Comment

I would keep an eye on the motor mounts since it looks like it doesn't use the strong mount on the back. I saw photos of empty engine mount holes. I have the gas version of what I think the frame is based on and the motor is only held on by the bottom mount and a thin upper back mount and there have been reports of the upper mount breaking and I had my bottom mounts come loose.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                    Kauaiguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where the rear shock mounts to the swingarm looks kinda weak ,big gap between metal and incomplete welding.For me there will have to be more reviews over time before I would buy.

I am far from an expert but I think the welds are good enough. I've put some more photos in the album showing this up close. Also put a pic in there of the engine mounts (ignore the oil on the case, I changed it yesterday to make sure the clutch wasn't burning up. looked all clean).

If I'm wrong and that rear shock mount point breaks I'll just take it to a local shop. There are places around me that make racing chassis for dirt track and drag racing. I'm sure one of them could take care of it.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                    Kauaiguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The close up photos of the frame welds is enough to make me pass,it sounds like a good deal,hope all goes well for you.
                Working...
                X