Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Bang for the Buck for new Sondors eBike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Bang for the Buck for new Sondors eBike?

I just received my two Sondors eBikes from the kick starter campaign, and am wondering what you would recommend as a good battery and controller upgrade. My wife and I are starting an Adventure Travel company down in the Caribbean, and these bikes are for our guests. We're on the island of Dominica, and it's pretty hilly here. I took the bike out today, and it doesn't have enough power for the hills here. I ride my specialized mountain bike here all the time, but I want our guests to be able to enjoy riding these bikes around the island. I've reviewed the Sondors upgrades on your website, but am wondering whicht battery you would upgrade to with your better controller? The 52v battery looks interesting. I know I may need to add a front hub motor or mid drive motor for increased power, but I thought I would start with a battery/controller upgrade first.

Thanks for your assistance,

Tom​

I'd grab a couple of BikesDirect geared fat bike's and put mid drives on. Having lived in the Caribbean, and knowing how small hub motors perform on hills, I don't think batteries or single speeds are a reliable solution. Or single speeds converted to IGH with mid drives seems to make more sense from my view. Leave the Sondors to beach duty. That would be my call. Former snorkeling, sailing, instructor and copious rum swiller, in my misspent youth.

I'd look to copy cating some of electric fat bikes creations. I can easily see myself on the beach with a Sondors. Now I'm thinking about my old rum punch recipe.

One of sour,
    Two of sweet,
    Three of strong,
    Four of week.

Comment

Rule number one of ebikes is to get the range and hill climbing you need from the start. The Sondors is an intro bike and people learn whether they want to get more involved. From what I've read you can go with a bigger battery and controller and pull maybe 800 watts from the motor. I'm not sure that would handle the hills. Not cheap. If you could use a GPS based bike program to actually measure the grades, that would help. I use Ride with GPS, Android, and it shows grades as a percent. Anything over 10% is mid-drive territory, lower with a fat. I'm afraid Louis may be right, to just start from scratch, for hills. Maybe not a fat bike. Hub motors are very user friendly, so a basic bike with a good hub might work, for guests.

Comment

I like the Sondors a lot, but it will give you nothing but headaches when customers try to use it on hills. For hills you will need a mid drive. Also, customers will try to start off in the wrong gear, making the motor run hot. For this I would recommend the BBSHD drive, coupled with a Sturmey - Archer SX heavy duty 3-speed internally geared hub. Add a mighty mini chainring so the top speed on 48V is around 22-MPH.

Find a bike that you think will be suitable, and then buy one to test. Having a low seat would be helpful, tall customers can adjust it up, but each frame design has a limit how low it can go.
        Last edited by spinningmagnets; 03-05-2016, 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I use a Sondors in Austin Texas and even here, it has trouble with hills. I've contribute to an Indiegogo campaign for a three speed planetary front gearbox that should be delivered this summer.
          Check it out, look under updates to see the Sondors retrofit, Efneo 3 speed gearbox. I've also purchased a Kinaye Uber Battery to replace the stock battery, range is very important to me.

Comment

I see for the next few days Sondors if offering the Electric Fat Bike for $499, but you can get an Aluminum Frame one for a $100 more, should I go for the upgrade or stick with steel?

Comment

Originally posted by roissy View Post
              I see for the next few days Sondors if offering the Electric Fat Bike for $499, but you can get an Aluminum Frame one for a $100 more, should I go for the upgrade or stick with steel?

I would certainly pay the $100 extra and go with aluminum. The only complaint i have of my steel sondors is it feels heavy as hell....also steel is going to end up rusting eventually where as aluminum wont. I forget what the weight savings is steel vs aluminum but it is significant.

Comment

Idunno what you guys are talking about with sondors with a 48 v battery and 25 amp controller it cruises right up hills . Minor pedaling but not even bad at all . Stock is another thing though sucks on hills stock almost useless

Comment

Originally posted by Plaster03301 View Post
                  Idunno what you guys are talking about with sondors with a 48 v battery and 25 amp controller it cruises right up hills . Minor pedaling but not even bad at all . Stock is another thing though sucks on hills stock almost useless
                  Short and not to steep, if you aren't getting it hot.
                  Last edited by Louis; 08-26-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plaster03301 View Post
                    I have 2 thins and a BBSHD build on an pre existing mountain bike. The Sondors are cool for my 110 pound wife but still are not very peppy on even medium hills. Otherwise great values and fun bikes. On my Lunacycle BBSHD rig I can drop the packs of spandex ballerinas going up hill with a cup of coffee in one hand at about 18 MPH. I weigh 215 not including my coffee ;)

Satisfaction with the level of power on ebikes is subjective and based on expectations but either way, if you are happy its all good.

P.S. Build a mid drive bike if you ever get the chance.
                    Last edited by FolsomRider; 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM.
                    http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to get the time to build mid drive , maybe next summer. I'd like to see difference with big battery and good components . Feel like I would be very picky with it though. Did you get bigger batteries and lcd /25 amp controller on thins because it's night and day difference . My girls 110 she flys up hills . I'm little slower at 230 but I average pretty good speed

Comment

On my build here, http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005 I bought the biggest battery I could fit in the triangle which was the Panny PF 11.5Ah "loaf of bread". great battery.

I do have the 25A controller and LCD from Luna. I haven't installed it yet as I have been traveling on biz. We got a few days with the stock thin Sondors and LCD before i left and It was pretty impressive for stock but not where i would like it. I would like to buy a bigger 48V battery for the thin but i am trying to hold out until Luna has one available. Not super fond of the Sanyo 48v thin packs being offered by others. Luna?
                        http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-disc-fsr-2005

Comment

Working...
                        X