Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removal of Sondors rear chain ring (rear sprocket).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of Sondors rear chain ring (rear sprocket).

Hi, 1st, I LOVE my Sondors Ebikes (we have 2!) 2nd, does anyone know how to remove the rear chain ring (sprocket) off the Bafang hub? Is there a special tool or am I just missing something. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
    texasted20

If you take a photo and then we can advise on the correct tool.

Maybe search on this site Freewheel removal tool: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...te-chain-tools

Comment

I have a sponsors e bike too and its great...only thing is im having some trouble finding some parts locally.. I need brake pads...do you know where I might be able to find sondors parts locally?

Comment

Originally posted by Mightymike View Post
        I have a sponsors e bike too and its great...only thing is im having some trouble finding some parts locally.. I need brake pads...do you know where I might be able to find sondors parts locally?
        It seems like it would make your life a lot easier to order the brake pads (or anything else) online.

Comment

To texasted20:

The Sondors freewheel is of the type that cannot easily be removed. You have to do what is known as a 'destructive removal'

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...uctive-removal

You MIGHT be able to use a hammer and a punch to hammer sideways on one of the two holes ordinarily used by the pin spanner, which MIGHT jog it loose without going to the above process. Needless to say, when you replace you want to use something like a Shimano single-speed freewheel that accepts a removal tool.

Worth noting is that there is no reason to remove the freewheel unless it has broken down. all maintenance can be performed with it on the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyPit View Post
            To texasted20:

The Sondors freewheel is of the type that cannot easily be removed. You have to do what is known as a 'destructive removal'

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...uctive-removal

You MIGHT be able to use a hammer and a punch to hammer sideways on one of the two holes ordinarily used by the pin spanner, which MIGHT jog it loose without going to the above process. Needless to say, when you replace you want to use something like a Shimano single-speed freewheel that accepts a removal tool.

Worth noting is that there is no reason to remove the freewheel unless it has broken down. all maintenance can be performed with it on the motor.
            I have performed this destructive freewheel removal a number of times. The spanner often doesn't work, but you can use a sharp punch and a hammer to loosen that bearing cone (the one with two pin holes in it). Insert the punch in the shallow pin hole at an angle (of course) and hammer so as to loosen the cone clockwise.

After doing this about four times, I also went with a White Industries single speed freewheel which accepts a freewheel removal tool.
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 08-03-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X