Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Spring and other issues

Just got my Sur Ron last week.

This is my first Moto, but not my first ebike. Is it normal to hear the chain? I guess because there isn't a loud motor I am able to hear the chain?

Also, I weigh 220lbs - should I upgrade to a larger spring from DNM (like a 550lb spring)?

Thanks!

Yes a chain sound will be heard. But first check rear tire alignment and correct tension. Then lube chain. As for rear spring I ordered the Titanium 550lbs I think a 500lbs will be fine for you.

Comment

Where can you get springs for the DNM rear..

Comment

Ebay any same length and diameter will work. Like FOX springs.

Comment

The Fox spring 500 3.5 stroke with 10.5 length is 8.25 inch long but the Dnm shock needs a 7.6inch,No Fox springs in this size fit.I have one if any one wants to try( 10.5x3.5 500lb).Only choice I could find was titanium spring JL in Taiwan which makes a 500 in this size with the right length.

Comment

Here is my Titanium 550lbs on the DNM rear shock. Spring purchased off ebay it took some time but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Here is my Titanium 550lbs on the DNM rear shock. Spring purchased off ebay it took some time but worth it.
              How much did that run you?

Comment

Off ebay $121.00 plus $7.40 shipping

Comment

Originally posted by baconbits View Post
                  Just got my Sur Ron last week.

This is my first Moto, but not my first ebike. Is it normal to hear the chain? I guess because there isn't a loud motor I am able to hear the chain?

Also, I weigh 220lbs - should I upgrade to a larger spring from DNM (like a 550lb spring)?

Thanks!
                  I think a lot of folks that got a bike recently are having the same issue with the chain sound...it’s like a clacking sound . It looks like the bikes were shipped with a little too much chain tension. I added a tiny bit more slack when I took my wheels off to change the stock tires and it went away.

Comment

My Sur-Ron just arrived with DNM suspension. I'd like a set up the suspension for my 110lb beginner rider, with about 25% sag. The front is an air spring > done. The rear shock spring came with a 450lb / in, 7.6" long spring. The best reference I've found for bicycle shock springs is Fox.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=672

When you look at this webpage, go to the "Standard Steel Springs" table. On the far right of the table is "Where used". At the bottom of the right side column is "10.5" x 3.5". 10.5 is the "eye to eye" measurement. 3.5 is the travel length of the shock. TLG is the total spring length. I ordered a 7.75"TLG, 300lb spring. Some bike distributors list the Fox springs by the Fox item number, you can search the web using that item number for a distributor.
                    Getting your spring rate correct is one of the best places to start getting your suspension dialed in.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderGatti View Post

I think a lot of folks that got a bike recently are having the same issue with the chain sound...it’s like a clacking sound . It looks like the bikes were shipped with a little too much chain tension. I added a tiny bit more slack when I took my wheels off to change the stock tires and it went away.
                      How much is just the right amount of tension?

Comment

• ThunderGatti
                        ThunderGatti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check youtube...Harris on Wheels has the best tear down video and covers the chain tension. I believe about 1" sag you want overall, but it hardly needs any adjustment to make the clicking go away. When I removed my wheels, l did it without removing the chain. However, just that little bit of slack that I achieved from removing the rear wheel was enough in my case.

• ThunderGatti
                        ThunderGatti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Tightened my chain last night and looked it up to verify - it's actually 10-15mm in chain sag, not 1".

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Off ebay $121.00 plus $7.40 shipping
                      Do you have a link for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderGatti View Post

Count me as one of them. I’m new to this kinda of vehicle but the sound definitely struck me as odd. Not in a this-is-annoying-me way but a this-is-definitely-not-stealth kinda way

Comment

I bought the Dnm 550lb spring from Luna for $42.At my weight of 165lb I have no preload and get 1inch sag( that’s the correct amount).I wish it was a 500lb spring

Comment

I just got the Luna 550 spring, how do install it on my DNM rear shock? Is there a technique?

Comment

Working...
                            X