X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharkytowers
    replied
    Originally posted by mason1800 View Post
    I just got my plates a few weeks ago and all street legal now with insurance and all. Just to be safe. Now I need street tires and maybe wheels. Any good recommendations? I have a belt drive upgrade and don't really want to change the wheel pulley/sprocket.
    Best deal in Surron-dom seems to me to be the Supermoto kit (when you can find it). Totally changes the feel of the bike. It's great. Getting that anytime it's in stock is a "can't lose". But as far as other tires go... ride the Surron until you NEED other tires. The CST's aren't that bad (depending on what you're doing) and it will give you something of a benchmark to compare future wheels/tires to. I couldn't believe how different a shank 244 golden boy felt in the front of the bike. and I think it is only like 1 lbs and change heavier than stock? But it changes the feel RADICALLY.

If you are looking for street wheels/tires... go super Moto and build from there. It's a bargain for what you get (and you still have your stock tires).

edit: oh, btw, I did the same thing as you registered and insured (my 1st bike). My 2nd bike I didn't... FWIW

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent!

• scrambler
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnKol View Post

"Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle"; lights, turn signals, and mirrors are not required for bicycles or electric bicycles.
    No, Moped in CA is a powered 2 wheel vehicle, with a max speed of 30mph and a max power of 3kW (4HP)
    You do need brake light, front and rear light, but no turn signal is necessary
    Normally the light must be DOT approved, but they don't really check that

Leave a comment:

• SurronFRS
    commented on 's reply
    This actually worked! Thank you JohnKol so the way it works for California:

Vehicle ID: Your Personal Surron Vin

Engine Number: E(Vin of your Surron)

Make: Chongqing Qiulong Technology Co.,LTD

CA License Plate: (Leave Empty)

Model: YQ2A

Distinctive Features: Blank

Section 1,2, & 5 need to be filled out.

Section: 3 & 4 leave empty

Send a written check of $24 to the DMV. I got my plates yesterday
    Last edited by SurronFRS; 03-12-2022, 07:56 PM.

• CPG
    replied
    When I take my new Sur Ron into town (when the trails dry out, not yet) from the parking lot we all meet up at to the trails is about 1/2 mile of city streets. I am still unsure as to how I feel about not pedaling at all....seems like a reason for a bored city cop to pull us over, if it happens I will try real hard to keep from laughing. I have no idea how small town Idaho LEO is handling Sur Rons, if at all. But the early SR's adopters here report no issues whatsoever. I know that ATV's/dirtbikes etc. are supposed to have a recreational sticker of some kind, they cost $15.00 and that may be worth getting, supposedly the money goes toward trail maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• mason1800
    replied
    I just got my plates a few weeks ago and all street legal now with insurance and all. Just to be safe. Now I need street tires and maybe wheels. Any good recommendations? I have a belt drive upgrade and don't really want to change the wheel pulley/sprocket.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by bzzzrrr View Post
    Does the person registering the Surron need to have an M1 license?
    No, you do not need an M1 for registration, but you will need an M1 for riding the Sur Ron with a moped plate.

Leave a comment:

• bzzzrrr
    replied
    Does the person registering the Surron need to have an M1 license?

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    commented on 's reply
    Engine Number: the "E" should be at the beginning of the VIN
    CA License Plate: Blank
    Section 1 checkboxes: check the first of the three boxes
    Section 2 checkboxes: "Yes" to all four
    Section 3 & 4 left blank
    Cheque for $24 and send everything to the DMV.

Everything else is correct.

• SurronFRS
    commented on 's reply
    Okay, so to get this right.

Vehicle ID: My Personal Surron Vin
    Engine Number: Vin with an E on the End
    Make: Chongqing Qiulong Technology Co.,LTD
    CA License Plate: ??? what do I put here
    Model: YQ2A
    Distinctive Features: Blank

Correct?

• JohnKol
    commented on 's reply
    You should put the whole name. "Distinctive Marks Or Features" should be left blank. Under "Engine Number" put the Vehicle ID preceded by the letter "E".

• Curl000
    commented on 's reply
    Using the placard, make is Chongquing? Anything put in distinctive marks or features?

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by evermore View Post
    In regards to riding at Metcalf, Hollister, Carnegie, my understanding is that if your vehicle is street legal, you are allowed to ride and dont need a separate green sticker. Basically, street legal effectively gives you a green sticker (since this is about emissions). So the whole point of getting the moped plate via the Reg. 230 route was to render the Sur Ron street legal and hence ridable at the parks. While they may not check, if they ever do, this makes it legal.
    That's correct, you need either a license plate or a Green/Red sticker; since you got a license plate, you do not need to register your Sur Ron as an off-road vehicle. Even better, the moped plate does not require renewal, so you are set for life.

Leave a comment:

• trailpoacher
    replied
    Originally posted by sc-surfer View Post
    So is it true that Metcalf no longer requires a plate or green sticker? My brothers bike doesn't have either and he's been missing out on riding there with me.
    When I was there, they said that they view the sur ron as an electric pitbike or something and don't require registration. However, it looks like they may have changed their stance on that recently, there's a new clause on their site about ebikes with footpegs now. Going full-circle, it actually suggests registering it as a moped.

Leave a comment:

• easyheimer
    replied
    Originally posted by jcubz View Post
    Where do you live Pharmboy?
    I got the pedals for this reason, and I know the bay area cops won't really care.

Also i contacted dirt legal myself too and here was there reponse

You could also likely save a little money and register it with Vermont yourself. Although I do think just by dirtlegal providing this information they deserve some compensation.
    I live in CT and want to go the registering in Vermont route. Can you explain a little more in detail on how to do this? I would gladly send dirt legal some money as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X