Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcubz View Post
    Where do you live Pharmboy?
    I got the pedals for this reason, and I know the bay area cops won't really care.

Also i contacted dirt legal myself too and here was there reponse

You could also likely save a little money and register it with Vermont yourself. Although I do think just by dirtlegal providing this information they deserve some compensation.
    I live in CT and want to go the registering in Vermont route. Can you explain a little more in detail on how to do this? I would gladly send dirt legal some money as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sc-surfer View Post
      So is it true that Metcalf no longer requires a plate or green sticker? My brothers bike doesn't have either and he's been missing out on riding there with me.
      When I was there, they said that they view the sur ron as an electric pitbike or something and don't require registration. However, it looks like they may have changed their stance on that recently, there's a new clause on their site about ebikes with footpegs now. Going full-circle, it actually suggests registering it as a moped.

Comment

Originally posted by evermore View Post
        In regards to riding at Metcalf, Hollister, Carnegie, my understanding is that if your vehicle is street legal, you are allowed to ride and dont need a separate green sticker. Basically, street legal effectively gives you a green sticker (since this is about emissions). So the whole point of getting the moped plate via the Reg. 230 route was to render the Sur Ron street legal and hence ridable at the parks. While they may not check, if they ever do, this makes it legal.
        That's correct, you need either a license plate or a Green/Red sticker; since you got a license plate, you do not need to register your Sur Ron as an off-road vehicle. Even better, the moped plate does not require renewal, so you are set for life.

Comment

Does the person registering the Surron need to have an M1 license?

Comment

Originally posted by bzzzrrr View Post
            Does the person registering the Surron need to have an M1 license?
            No, you do not need an M1 for registration, but you will need an M1 for riding the Sur Ron with a moped plate.

Comment

I just got my plates a few weeks ago and all street legal now with insurance and all. Just to be safe. Now I need street tires and maybe wheels. Any good recommendations? I have a belt drive upgrade and don't really want to change the wheel pulley/sprocket.

Comment

When I take my new Sur Ron into town (when the trails dry out, not yet) from the parking lot we all meet up at to the trails is about 1/2 mile of city streets. I am still unsure as to how I feel about not pedaling at all....seems like a reason for a bored city cop to pull us over, if it happens I will try real hard to keep from laughing. I have no idea how small town Idaho LEO is handling Sur Rons, if at all. But the early SR's adopters here report no issues whatsoever. I know that ATV's/dirtbikes etc. are supposed to have a recreational sticker of some kind, they cost $15.00 and that may be worth getting, supposedly the money goes toward trail maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKol View Post

"Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle"; lights, turn signals, and mirrors are not required for bicycles or electric bicycles.
                  No, Moped in CA is a powered 2 wheel vehicle, with a max speed of 30mph and a max power of 3kW (4HP)
                  You do need brake light, front and rear light, but no turn signal is necessary
                  Normally the light must be DOT approved, but they don't really check that

Comment

Originally posted by mason1800 View Post
                    I just got my plates a few weeks ago and all street legal now with insurance and all. Just to be safe. Now I need street tires and maybe wheels. Any good recommendations? I have a belt drive upgrade and don't really want to change the wheel pulley/sprocket.
                    Best deal in Surron-dom seems to me to be the Supermoto kit (when you can find it). Totally changes the feel of the bike. It's great. Getting that anytime it's in stock is a "can't lose". But as far as other tires go... ride the Surron until you NEED other tires. The CST's aren't that bad (depending on what you're doing) and it will give you something of a benchmark to compare future wheels/tires to. I couldn't believe how different a shank 244 golden boy felt in the front of the bike. and I think it is only like 1 lbs and change heavier than stock? But it changes the feel RADICALLY.

If you are looking for street wheels/tires... go super Moto and build from there. It's a bargain for what you get (and you still have your stock tires).

edit: oh, btw, I did the same thing as you registered and insured (my 1st bike). My 2nd bike I didn't... FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by scrambler View Post

No, Moped in CA is a powered 2 wheel vehicle, with a max speed of 30mph and a max power of 3kW (4HP)
                      You do need brake light, front and rear light, but no turn signal is necessary
                      Normally the light must be DOT approved, but they don't really check that
                      Man, I hope they clean up the laws a bit... this class of bike isn't going anywhere. The cleanest thing I could find to try to "do the right thing" was register as a moped.

One thing I think EVERY Surron should come stock with is at least a brake light. I really don't get why that isn't just standard. It would cost almost nothing. (I know there is a homologated Surron, but I'm talking about the US market) Even the Super 73 has a brake light.

Comment

• Mike_V
                        Mike_V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Be brave and ride like 'Spicoli'

OTG
                      Please tell me what can "they" DO ?
                      Issue A 'ticket' { come now }
                      A violation of the regulations , who is to say?
                      and who exactly. Name goes here would prosecute

Why be scared of a ticket? I'm not Californian but is it like the Spanish Inquisition?
                      Last edited by Mike_V; 03-28-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• AZguy
                        AZguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you are operating an unregistered vehicle on the street an LEO can readily impound the vehicle

Whether they do or not would most likely depend on the dickiness of the rider

Registering a sur-ron as a moped isn't likely to get someone into trouble... and that too would likely depend on the dickiness of both the LEO and rider

Trouble isn't likely to come your way if you remember the golden rule: Don't be a dick!

OTOH if down the road in some municipality there are enough folks riding light electric motos and violating the golden rule, others may get caught up in broader enforcement actions...

• Mike_V
                        Mike_V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No registration for Mo - peds like a Sur Ron
                        ( in Connecticut. No helmets either just have a license and obey rules of the road ) over
                        or get flattened no matter
                        impound ? In these times? Show me !

• AZguy
                        AZguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In AZ I've only witnessed personally threats from LEO's about impounding motos... one time on trust land (you need permits) and another on a dirt road heading to forest land... both times it was local sheriff... on the trust land I had a permit but the guy I was with didn't and we got a five minute lecture with the threat... we were both very polite, the fellow without was from out-of-state and plead ignorance and sheriff said he'd let us slide 'cust at least one of us had the permit... I doubt he was interested in confiscating but had we been dicky and protested or he woke on the wrong side not so sure... the other case the guy didn't have a OHV sticker... he got a lecture too but also a $250 ticket...

I had a friend (I wasn't with him) that was out riding on the res and they did confiscate his moto and it took months to get it back... I didn't witness the encounter so don't know if he was snarky or not, he usually isn't but I've had nasty encounters on the res so I don't think it takes much there

Chandler where I live is having a "bike awareness" month where they are going to be aggressively targeting bike riders to "educate" them... fortunately the electric bike and bike laws are very loose here (in AZ class 1 and 2 electric is treated exactly the same as a bicycle and riding on the sidewalk is not just legal, acceptable) and the only ordinance regarding operation is "Whenever any person is riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk, where bicycle riding is not prohibited, they shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian." OTOH I suspect if they see someone on a sur-ron out on the multi-use they will very likely issue a citation and if they find one on the street in the traffic lanes that isn't registered (it's silly easy to register and plate most anything here) that may
                        be a whole 'nother animal... and I suppose you can always say "if they can catch you" but if you do run, you probably won't want to ride there again and if you get caught running expect very bad things...
                        It really depends on where you are, the local LEO's attitudes and the offenders

Stuff like sur-ron is still pretty new so things will surely evolve and likely not in a good way for illegal operations as LEO's get educated on what is and isn't... and then again dickiness will also surely work against you

Originally posted by Mike_V View Post
                      OTG
                      Please tell me what can "they" DO ?
                      Issue A 'ticket' { come now }
                      A violation of the regulations , who is to say?
                      and who exactly. Name goes here would prosecute

Why be scared of a ticket? I'm not Californian but is it like the Spanish Inquisition?
                      If it is a motorcycle cop there is a distinct possibility he'll impound the bike. I had one do that to a Vespa I had even though I asked to walk it the half block to a place where I could park it and get it with my truck. It's expensive and a hassle (and often a fucking scam).

And lol... it's not about "name goes here" would prosecute. That's not the way moving violations, tickets, etc. work exactly. Or laws for that matter.

Comment

• Mike_V
                        Mike_V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A motorcycle cop impounded wut? It's gettin deep lawman

• Mike_V
                        Mike_V commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do you vote?
                        It's your only hope.

Are you kidding, a traffic ticket kmon man
                      You're in another country friends. Sorry
                      A ticket, a violation of the regulations, is easily challenged in CT town court where the LEO allege this occuence and appears to testify.
                      Usually, a hand written letter of explanation " no one injured " ( including the town 'entity' ) to the judge & you will face
                      Because generally the accuser , said Leo, is working and too busy for a " traffic ticket '.
                      Dismissed .

Comment

I'll buy two Sur Rons load up the truck and drive to to the Commie coast and ride with you because of the great new ' see Cali 2022 ' T V tourism commercial, OK?
                        I'm visiting, have a bill of sale, mine , and wear a brain bucket. We'll be good 'noun?
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

For the VIN number, do you use the frame number stamped near the fork? Starts with an H

For engine number, I see 2 sets of numbers when I look from the back into the motor. 12 character number and then below that an 11 character number. Or maybe this is all one large 23 character number?

Comment

Working...
                          X