• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZguy
    replied
    From CA DMV REG 230

SECTION 2-ORIGINAL APPLICATION

An original application is one that is made if the vehicle has never been licensed in California (no California license plate or ID Card). Answer the following questions ''yes" or "no to determine if your vehicle is a motorized bicycle (MOPED):

1. Two-wheel or three-wheel device? D Yes D No
    2. Fully operative pedals for human power or powered solely by electrical energy? D Yes D No
    3. Automatic transmission and a motor with less than 4 gross brake horsepower? D Yes D No
    4. Maximum speed of 30 miles per hour on level ground? D Yes D No

If you answered Yes" to all four questions, complete the application below, in the appropriate sections.
    If you answered "No" to any of the questions, your vehicle is not a motorized bicycle as defined by the California Vehicle Code
    §406. Complete Application for Registration (REG 343) to apply for appropriate registration.

I'm no lawyer but sure seems like answering "Yes" to questions 3 & 4 might be considered "fraud" (Any act of deception carried out for the purpose of unfair, undeserved and/or unlawful gain)
    Last edited by AZguy; 12-11-2021, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    commented on 's reply
    The DMV is the final authority on how the law is interpreted; what I quoted above is a statement from the DMV, and it is their rules and regulations that determine whether a vehicle is eligible to receive a license plate. In the case of the Sur Ron, it falls under the "Moped" category as this is defined by the DMV, it meets all the standards the DMV has set forth for mopeds, and it therefore receives a legal license plate.

I believe you know all the above, but you are simply making a bad faith argument in order to muddy the water and confuse people who might come here to receive some useful advice. If you don't know the above, this shows you why someone from Arizona should not be offering advice to people in California about California regulations.

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by X-Nitro View Post
    Are we all clear on how to obtain a fraudulent moped plate in cali now?
    No, there is absolutely nothing fraudulent, all the statements made in the license application are true and accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Paladin
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats on your new plate. I've had mine for a couple of years now.

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by X-Nitro View Post
    True that - it's more a "light electric motorcycle" (maybe even "ultralight electric motorcycle"?)

It definitely has more than 4hp and can go faster than 30mph so not a even a moped in CA [let alone electric bicycle - even with hokey pedals not even close to that]

OTOH "light electric motorcycle" isn't really a category in any state I'm aware of... it isn't a far cry from a moped and sounds like it may be more difficult in CA to get it registered as a motorcycle - it's much easier in AZ to just get these types of critters registered as a moto... and so it seems in CA you're left with limited options for road use... but if you get it moped registered in CA likely best to keep it close to the 30mph or I could see a potential for discussions with LEO's....

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    In Kali per vehicle code:

moped = "motorized bicycle" ( https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...&keyword=moped )

moped ≠ "electric bicycle" (it is *not* another word for electric bicycle: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...tric%20bicycle )

Suggesting otherwise is misinformation & misleading

• X-Nitro
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by Knobby1 View Post
    Can we get back to the subject please?
    The subject is how to receive a moped license in California, so your comments about the situation in Florida is completely irrelevant and only bound to confuse people.

Once again, the only thing you need in California to receive a license plate is fill out the REG 230 form and send it to the DMV; there is no requirement for lights, or turn signals, or mirrors, or anything else for that matter since there is no vehicle inspection.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by AZguy View Post
    This part:

"Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle";

I get that it's _just_ semantics, but they are important when speaking legalese
    No it's not semantics; that statement is true in California:

• Also known as a motorized bicycle, a moped has 2-3 wheels and an electric motor with an automatic transmission that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower.

Leave a comment:

• X-Nitro
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	surronlights.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	145208

Name:	taillight.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	145209 Click image for larger version

Name:	taillightdark.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	145210

Name:	surronliteswitch.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	145211
    Sur ron lights, switch, mirror.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Ah yes... horn =]

• X-Nitro
    commented on 's reply
    Equipment? wouldn't call it legal but...
    I got the old standard Malcolm Smith L hand mirror. Mounted front turns like this on flat aluminum brackets dropped from the headlight
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...8660474?_ul=IN
    Switch with horn
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/184754364012
    In back I got a little light like this, removed the seat post mount it came with, and zip tied it to the tail-light bracket.
    https://www.amazon.com/X5-Wireless-T...a-456290668959

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Sur-ron should have working brake light/headlight and mirrors are plentiful - out here you don't need turn signals [on anything]

edit: Sounds like brake light isn't necessarily a thing on sur-ron - I'm seeing conflicting information

I can admit when I make a mistake and try to correct it ;-}
    Last edited by AZguy; 12-09-2021, 05:10 AM.

• Knobby1
    replied
    I apologize for mentioning a state other than california. I also apologize for pointing out another poster’s helpfully intended info that appeared to be incorrect. Finally, I apologize for putting glue in Megan McAllister’s hair in 3d grade.

Can we get back to the subject please?

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnKol View Post

What part do you think is not correct? Have you ever filed a REG 230 application and failed to receive a license from the DMV?
    This part:

Originally posted by JohnKol View Post

"Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle"; lights, turn signals, and mirrors are not required for bicycles or electric bicycles.
    I get that it's _just_ semantics, but they are important when speaking legalese

Leave a comment:

Working...
X