Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Nitro
    commented on 's reply
    As I stated before it is necessary for these ppl to lie to get plated.
    The law does not provide or allow for low power settings at all PERIOD.
    The LAW only cites MAXIMUM OUTPUT and SPEED both of which lightbee has too much for the cal moped registration PERIOD.
    You cant just flip a switch on your Livewire an turn it into an ebike duh.
    These guys even lie to themselves, they are convinced their registration is legit.

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by AZguy View Post
    They are not the same thing in California either
    What part do you think is not correct? Have you ever filed a REG 230 application and failed to receive a license from the DMV?

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnKol View Post

As the title suggests, this is a thread about licensing the Sur Ron in CA, and the information that has been provided is correct for California. Why you felt compelled to comment on whether the same standards apply in Florida is anyone's guess.
    They are not the same thing in California either

From California Vehicle code:

DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED

(a) An “electric bicycle” is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts.

(1) A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

(2) A “class 2 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

(3) A “class 3 electric bicycle,” or “speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour, and equipped with a speedometer.

(b) A person riding an electric bicycle, as defined in this section, is subject to Article 4 (commencing with Section 21200) of Chapter 1 of Division 11.

(c) On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

(a) A “motorized bicycle” or “moped” is a two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in this section, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided. The disclosure shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

“YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.”

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by Knobby1 View Post
    This is not correct, as nitro hinted, at least here in Fl.
    As the title suggests, this is a thread about licensing the Sur Ron in CA, and the information that has been provided is correct for California. Why you felt compelled to comment on whether the same standards apply in Florida is anyone's guess.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by X-Nitro View Post
    https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...ect-24015.html
    There is a lot of bad advice out there, so I found this, it may be relevant to the above statement about required equipment.
    Reg 230 makes no mention of any such requirements, and there is no DMV inspection, so whatever federal requirements there may be, they are irrelevant for obtaining a license plate for the Sur Ron -- which is the subject of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Definitely *not* the same in all the US states regs I'm aware of - totally different class

In AZ we have class 1, 2 & 3 electric bikes - class 1 and 2 are treated the same as any other bicycle in AZ: "An operator of an electric bicycle or an electric standup scooter is granted all the rights and privileges and is subject to all of the duties of a person riding a bicycle", class 3 have limitations

Moped is an entirely different class defined as:

"Moped" means a bicycle, not including an electric bicycle, an electric miniature scooter or an electric standup scooter, that is equipped with a helper motor if the vehicle has a maximum piston displacement of fifty cubic centimeters or less, a brake horsepower of one and one-half or less and a maximum speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less on a flat surface with less than a one percent grade.

Leave a comment:

• Knobby1
    replied

"Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle"; lights, turn signals, and mirrors are not required for bicycles or electric bicycles.
    This is not correct, as nitro hinted, at least here in Fl. The laws here regarding ebikes/scooters/etc. have been changing a lot over the last few years. Point being the definition of what something is is done at the state level and is likely in flux.

Fwiw, a surron that cant exceed 20mph is a “scooter” in Fl.

Leave a comment:

• X-Nitro
    replied
    https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...ect-24015.html
    There is a lot of bad advice out there, so I found this, it may be relevant to the above statement about required equipment.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by Knobby1 View Post
    You guys trying to reg in Ca as a moped: are u installing lights/turn signals/mirrors? If so where did u get the parts? Thx.
    "Moped" is another word for "Electric Bicycle"; lights, turn signals, and mirrors are not required for bicycles or electric bicycles.

Leave a comment:

• Knobby1
    replied
    You guys trying to reg in Ca as a moped: are u installing lights/turn signals/mirrors? If so where did u get the parts? Thx.

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by evermore View Post
    oof, I used the number on the engine when I sent in the application on Friday. Maybe I'll get lucky?
    It's highly unlikely that they check, so you should be fine; monitor your bank account to see if they cash your cheque, they cashed mine two weeks after I sent my application.

Leave a comment:

• evermore
    replied

Trailpoacher provided the correct link for the metal placard. On Form 230 enter the frame number as it appears on your Sur Ron frame, but do not enter the engine number stamped on the Sur Ron motor; instead, enter the frame number preceded by the letter "E".
    oof, I used the number on the engine when I sent in the application on Friday. Maybe I'll get lucky?

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by evermore View Post
    Hi, I just received my Sur Ron X and assembled yesterday. Can you elaborate on "small metal placard Luna sells" ? Could you post whatever it says on that (I assume I can just substitute my frame and engine numbers). It does seem safer to try to get it registered as a Luna than a Sur Ron.. thanks!
    Trailpoacher provided the correct link for the metal placard. On Form 230 enter the frame number as it appears on your Sur Ron frame, but do not enter the engine number stamped on the Sur Ron motor; instead, enter the frame number preceded by the letter "E".

Leave a comment:

• JohnKol
    replied
    Originally posted by trailpoacher View Post
    Here are the aforementioned photos. Bonus points if you paint the backside of the plate black!
    Thanks, I don't think that protruding bracket will work for me given that I crash every single time I ride, but the pointer of mounting the plate on the swingarm is a good one!

Leave a comment:

• evermore
    replied
    much obliged!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X