Cane Creek vs Upgraded Needle Bearing Headset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane Creek vs Upgraded Needle Bearing Headset

Hey all, I recently bought Manitou Dorado Pros in a late night drinking accident and am leaning towards keeping them.

My July 2020 Sur Ron came with the black RST Killah and the upgraded needle bearing headset. Trying to figure out if I should use this headset or get the cane creek.

The needle bearing headset looks way beefier (even Eric said this in the video with Sur Ron bosses) and the upper cup adds about 30mm of useful height that I would probably have to add in spacers above the upper fork plate if I get the cane creek.

The dorado's are straight steerer tube if that matters. Which headset should I use?

The new stock version is heavier duty and easier to install plus cheaper.The new versions are roller bearing like car axle bearings.
    Last edited by Kauaiguy; 09-12-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kauaiguy View Post
      The new stock version is heavier duty and easier to install plus cheaper.The new versions are roller bearing like car axle bearings.
      Thanks. I suppose I'll try the stock one first and go from there. I think the extra height of the upper cup vs the short cane creek will help as well.

Comment

X-Nitro , how's your set up doing? Looks like you went with the upgraded headset for your Fox 40, should be similar to Manitou Dorado's. Any regrets not using the cane creek? Does the upper cup height help?

Comment

Adding the reply from Joel at Luna ... Sounds like I have to go with the Cane Creek headset to work with the Dorado's:

"the Manitou forks won't fit without the Cane Creek headset. The tapered roller bearing headset is external, so it sticks up another inch above the head tube, while the Cane Creek headset is internal, and only sticks up a quarter inch. The top triple clamp of the Manitou Dorado just barely clears with a zero clearance headset. It doesn't even come close with the stock headset. I have Manitou Dorado forks on my Sur Ron."

Comment

Originally posted by Irishrally View Post
            X-Nitro , how's your set up doing? Looks like you went with the upgraded headset for your Fox 40, should be similar to Manitou Dorado's. Any regrets not using the cane creek? Does the upper cup height help?
            My setup was torture tested @ local MX track & shows no sign of the abuse.
            The Timken-tapered bearing is quite superior to any ball-bearings in this application.
            The tall stack height pushes the limit of installation parameters, but it fits.

Comment

Working...
            X