Sur Ron and CA California OHV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sur Ron and CA California OHV...

While I have seen comments regarding getting street-legal registration--does the Sur Ron qualify for off-road registration? OHV nearby generally permit mountain-biking on the desert OHV without tag or issue but I am just wondering how easily that same defense is gonna fly with the Sur Ron? And while I can see the pedals solving that situation for me on city streets--I think the pedals would just be in the way out there. Anyone have experience in this area to date they would be willing to share?

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...d-registration

...just kept digging...

Comment

I tried and failed to get a California Green Sticker around Jan 2020. After a morning at the DMV I got really close, including paying the fee, but got tripped up by one agent for not having a Certificate of Origin. I contacted Luna, from whom I purchased the bike, and they were unable to provide one. DMV had me submit (by post) a "Statement of Fact" which provided the particulars of the purchase with the understanding that this would do the trick. Then Covid came and I never heard from DMV. I've been riding the bike on public lands and so far so good, but I don't think I ever encountered an official.

--Frank

Comment

Ahhh, that brings back memories of a trailer kit I bought and assembled myself that only had an invoice. Somehow I got it registered but it was with a very helpful indivdual working at the local AAA office. We've moved since then--might be time for me to find my local chapter...

Comment

You know i've been getting conflicting information. I heard it needs to be registered as an offroad vehicle and some people say they don't need anything because it's electric.

Because these are the golden days of e-bikes i think most people are going out and not asking questions or permission. It's when you "ask" that they will say no. I'm not going to ask until someone tells me something and just play dumb.

Comment

• Frame Farmer
            Frame Farmer commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree and tend to live the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" model myself.

To your point about conflicting reports of success in registration--this sentiment is echoed in the comment section of Mark Kitaoka's review page (some comments dating back to 2018):

https://markkitaoka.com/latest-news/luna-cycle-sur-ron/

while the review itself is lost to "site construction," buried in the comment section is one detailed report of successful CA moped registration. As I got into the methodology used to acquire this registration, I decided there are still too many grey areas on where the Sur Ron fits and have decided I will just ride as the situation calls for until someone else tells me to do otherwise (and keep my pedal kit in the box as a last resort plan B)

Edited after reading other recent posts.
          Last edited by sc-surfer; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Edited after reading other recent posts.

Comment

Working...
          X