21” front wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21” front wheels

Who has built a 21” front replacement wheel and what components did you go with? I’m thinking of using DID dirt-star rims.

I built a 21” and a 26” to test them both. Right now the 26” weights 2.9lbs and the 21” weights 5.4lbs as you see it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Oldgx460; 01-31-2021, 07:17 PM.

Originally posted by Oldgx460 View Post
    Who has built a 21” front replacement wheel and what components did you go with?.
    I have been asking the same question since April of 2020 AD.

Every few days I have been checking the Wicked-Wheels-Werks WWW for information.

Every day I check my E-mail to see if I have a message from WWW... Nothing yet..

OX460. Please keep us informed of any information you may discover.?

DID dirt-star-rims. Ask if they have a Heavy-Duty rear rim-spokes-hub also.

Comment

• carlsv@roadrunner.com
      carlsv@roadrunner.com commented
      Editing a comment
      Buchanan’s I just got 21” from them . What a difference

EBay has a complete 21 inch front wheel for $330,plus options you might like

Comment

Does anyone know if a 21" wheel will fit on the new DVO Onyx D1 fork?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman View Post

I have been asking the same question since April of 2020 AD.

Every few days I have been checking the Wicked-Wheels-Werks WWW for information.

Every day I check my E-mail to see if I have a message from WWW... Nothing yet..

OX460. Please keep us informed of any information you may discover.?

DID dirt-star-rims. Ask if they have a Heavy-Duty rear rim-spokes-hub also.

I will do some research and pull the trigger on something this coming week. The main problem I see is the nipples being too small, every pic I have seen it looks like the nipples are about to pull out because to moto stuff uses much larger spokes and nipples.

Comment

• dirtman
          dirtman commented
          Editing a comment
          ??-""Nipples to small"" quote OX-460..

What style of magnifying lense are you using.???
          ---Anything larger than stock SR nipples would be better.

found this today;

I was contemplating building my own but ended up placing an order instead. Hopefully all goes well.

Comment

• Oldgx460
          Oldgx460 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice find!

I will do some research and pull the trigger on something this coming week. The main problem I see is the nipples being too small, every pic I have seen it looks like the nipples are about to pull out because to moto stuff uses much larger spokes and nipples.
        I don't like the look of large nipples

Comment

• Oldgx460
          Oldgx460 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like large nipples!

What I’ve come up with is this, In order to use a MX rim you need custom nipples to use 10 or 12g spokes in order to have a large enough head so they won’t pull out. Or you can have a rim drilled for the size spokes you want to use as well as the hub you decide to go with, Buchanan Spokes does this, around 300 for a drilled Excel rim and matching spokes. That is the best option because you get the correct spoke alignment. For example if you look very carefully at Milk Racing’s wheel on eBay you will see that every third spoke does not align with its corresponding hole, looks like crap. Or you can spend about $200 and use std MX rim with the custom nipples (Merlin) and they line up decent.

Comment

Yes nipples are the key, I think maybe Josh (www) was having blanks tapped for 12 & 13ga spokes, still looking for that supply.
          I'm using Tusk moto rims, the seams leave something to be desired, not quite perfect like the expensive rims..

Comment

For you guys wanting the bigger front wheel on a budget.. I just fitted my stealth bomber front wheel on my sur ron

For reference the Stealth Bomber ebike is similar wgt to the sur ron..... and it works fine the bomber

it is a mtn bike rim it is about 1” taller and they sell for 237 from stealth

just another option
            Last edited by betrezra; 11-10-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Complete front wheel for your Stealth B-52, Stealth H-52 or Stealth F-37. Excludes rotor and freewheel

Comment

Who has built a 21” front replacement wheel and what components did you go with? I’m thinking of using DID dirt-star rims.
                I was going to go the whole route with a 21 in the front and a 19 in the rear. I got a MXUS 3000 laced to a 19" moped rim and squeezed an old Norton K81 Dunlop 3.60 X 19 tire on it. I didn't like it. The ride was harsh and worse yet it was inefficient. It seems you waste a lot of power on heavy tires. I have two 36 hole motorcycle rims and a new Avon front tire and tube collecting dust in the shop. I have special nipples from Holmes Hobbies for the wheel build to. OH WELL!

I found MAXXIS Mammoth 26 X 4.0 tires and they are great for me. They work really well on the street because of the center strip and they are just fine for going off road. Please note I am not a single track guy. If I am riding with non ebikers I will get 15 watts per mile. When I am alone I am around 18-19 watts per mile. That is with a 120 pound bike and I weigh 240.

I like the tires so much I bought two more sets for future use.
                Last edited by calfee20; 11-12-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicG View Post
                  found this today;

I was contemplating building my own but ended up placing an order instead. Hopefully all goes well.
                  Thanks for the information. Hopefully all goes well.. Please keep us updated.

Just got off the phone with Woody-W-W. (Nice to talk with a human instead of a keyboard)
                  He is looking into if the 21-inch front tire will work with the Killah black forks.

Woody seem fully aware that the Surron needs better wheels and spokes.
                  I`m to call him back in one weeks as he is waiting for parts to build surron wheels

WWW might even be able to build us a 18-inch rear-wheel. As the Surron/Segway is getting popular.

Comment

Maybe he can tell us if the 21" wheel will fit the Onyx fork too....

Comment

Originally posted by X-Nitro View Post
                    Yes nipples are the key, I think maybe Josh (www) was having blanks tapped for 12 & 13ga spokes, still looking for that supply.
                    I'm using Tusk moto rims, the seams leave something to be desired, not quite perfect like the expensive rims..
                    https://holmeshobbies.com/bike-and-moped/spokes.html

Comment

• X-Nitro
                      X-Nitro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good reminder...
                      Last edited by X-Nitro; 11-23-2020, 07:22 PM.
                  Working...
                  X