Rear tire choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear tire choices?

So I recently upgraded my front wheel with a Woodys 21" and a Kenda Washougal III. So far its been great but I'd like to replace the rear tire with something bigger. With the big front tire and the small back tire the bike just looks wonky :)

So what are my options for a tire that will fit and not require any knob trimming? Thanks

Good 'ole trackmaster 760 works for some folks who ride loose terrain.
    I know there are better tires, but the 760 is cheap & usually easy to find.

Comment

I just put on a Dunlop Geomax MX33 (Front) on the front and rear. It fits great on the rear, very slight trimming needed on the front. Haven't rode it enough to comment on wear or anything but it looks great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1328.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	119331 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1325.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	119330
      Attached Files

Comment

• YZVN
        YZVN commented
        Editing a comment
        what rim size do you use for the rear wheel with the MX33? is it 18 x 1.85? if yes where do you buy it? I cannot find this size rim

• Kauaiguy
        Kauaiguy commented
        Editing a comment
        There’s a 18 x1.85 rear wheel on ebay for the Surron

• sc-surfer
        sc-surfer commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m running the MX33 on the stock 1.4 rim. I LOVE how light the tire is. It’s nearly the same weight as stock CST tires. I think I’m going to have a 19x1.85 or a 19x2.15 made. I think with the wider rim the MX33 will have a nice wide profile. This will probably been the best rear knobby setup available right now. All the full MX rear tires are VERY heavy, but this setup is not. We’re in Baja now but I’m gonna send my spare hub to Woodys as soon as we’re back. Gonna have an 18x1.85 made for the dry months that I can mount one of the enduro style 3.0 tires on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Kenda 760 - no complaints on its performance but its a smaller tire and now that I have this biga$$ Kenda on the front it looks funny.

I tried out a Shinko 524 yesterday but its a small tire as well and more of a soft conditions tire, its probably better up front if I was still running a 19" wheel. So this morning I threw a Maxxis 7304 on and it looks like its a tad bit bigger. I'll have to take it for a ride and see how it goes.

Those Dunlops look good like that have some decent volume, if im not happy with the Maxxis I'll definitely consider one.

Comment

Here are my notes on tires. This is ONLY a collection of my notes for reference. I do not have first hand info on most of these yet. Please feel free to chime in if you have tried any of them or if you have other options. I'll update the list and re-post as I collect more info.

Please add more info. Let's get a good list of tires that are known to fit!!!

Front tire options:

Dunlop GeoMax MX52 is great but NLA
        MX33 pretty good
        Dunlop K990 70/100-21

Rear Tires:

MX53 run backwards
        Kinda 760 70/100-19 24” dia. run backwards --- I have this tire. Fits the rear (and front) well. Good traction but fast wear on pavement,
        SHINERAY TRICKER 250 80/100-19 --- Can't find this tire for sale anywhere but the specs look perfect for 19" rear.
        Kenda K270 - 325-17 = 3” section width
        Kenda K270 - 350-18 = 3” section width. --- Reported to fit without modification on 18" wheels
        Geomax MX33 90/100-18 ?? 4.13 width 25.74 dia.
        Maxxis Maxcross SI 70/100-19 3.3 width 24.9 dia.
        GEOMAX MX33 REAR 90/100-18
        Dunlop K990 90/100-18. 4.17 width. 25.75 dia.
        Cheng Shin C755 4.10x18 It measures just under 3.50 inches
        Barum 3.50-18 S9A
        VRM 109 F/R VINTAGE MX 3.5x18 Less than 3.5” Wide
        Shinko 244 2.75-19 --- Fits rear fine. Actual width is 3.25 overall. Slightly taller than stock tire.
        Shinko Cheater 100/90-19 --- Way to big and heavy. Likely pretty representative of this size in MX tires.

Comment

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          I got the Heidenau K67 (3.25-19) mounted and installed and it clears the chain! I haven't ridden it yet so I'm hoping I don't run into any rub when cornering or any other unforeseen issues. Tire looks pretty cool on the bike, its taller, wider and higher volume than the 70/100 tires. Unfortunately the trade off is weight at around 10.5 pounds. Also because its a wider tire it isn't recommended for the stock 1.4 rims. Tire also costs much more than most 70/100-19 tires at ~$100

• YZVN
          YZVN commented
          Editing a comment
          For the Geomax MX33 with 90/100-18:
          What size rim? 18x1.85? Have you tried? Does it fit?

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have experience with the Geomax MX33 90/100-18 but Dunlops website lists the overall width at 4.13" which is too wide.
          https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.co...e/geomax-mx33/
          Maybe with some wheel dishing and sprocket spacers its possible but I have no idea.

My next mount will be a 4.10x18 k270, but I think the k257 deserves a look for a lot of riders.

Comment

• sc-surfer
          sc-surfer commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know how it fits!!

The K257 in 3.5x18 might be an interesting choice.

Comment

Possible rear tire option. I spotted it in a Racespec Sur Ron video. Looked really good.

Here are the details from Vee Rubber website... They do not mention the 3.50x17 specifically, but assuming it is constructed like the 4.00 it sounds perfect. Light, Flexible. I just got an 18" hoop but haven't laced it up yet. I ordered the 308 in the 3.5x17. I'm going to wqait until it arrives before committing to a rim size. Since ALL the other moto tires I've checked out are really heavy, I'm hoping this one will be the cat's meow. I'll post details once it arrives.

VRM 308 F/R

This traditional trials competition tire provides great value for long wear and maneuverability in wet or difficult terrain.
          Features
          • The 4.00-18 is the traditional trials competition tire. It has a very light 2-ply tubeless radial structure. Best to use this tire for trials use or very light off-road motorcycles.
          • The new 4.25 -18, 4.25-19 sizes are for off-road use in extreme trail conditions. These models use a stiffer casing structure for a more stable feel on the trail. The 18” tire is DOT marked for dual sport use.
          • Excellent wear for the rider who wants to get the most value out of their tires l
          • The VRM-211 90/90-21 Tackee front tire is an excellent choice when using the V-308R rear. They both offer a lot of confidence in wet roots, logs and rocky conditions.

Comment

The Shinko SR241 3.50 x 19 has been a pretty good dual sport tire, good durability, good road feel. tarmac good, hard pack good, soft dirt good. sand and mud is not that great, but it’s not terrible, definitely usable

fits 2.75 front and 3.50 rear fits stock wheels with no issue. will need to center the rear wheel exactly with a spoke wrench. there is about a 1mm clearance on both the kickstand spring side and the chain side. don’t need to trim the tire at all.

i went for these instead of the shinko 244 as they are 3.50 instead of 2.75

side note : this is the tire that the cake bikes have stock, as a “trail saver” tire
            Last edited by geoffreygonzales; 01-09-2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• sc-surfer
              sc-surfer commented
              Editing a comment
              Any idea what the weight is on the 3.50 ??

• geoffreygonzales
              geoffreygonzales commented
              Editing a comment
              heavy. probably 3 pounds. way heavier than the stock rear

This may be common knowledge but i just went out to check the tire clearce with my caliper

80mm front tire clearance
            90mm rear tire clearance (100mm dished, know one guy running 100mm / 4” tires on the rear dished)
            Last edited by geoffreygonzales; 12-28-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• sc-surfer
              sc-surfer commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep...and that's the rub. Nearly all moto tires start at 100mm and go up from there. Also most are very heavy and stiff. I am looking forward to seeing the Vee Rubber tire I ordered as it's supposed to be light and flexible. Since most moto tires are made for heavy powerfull bikes, they are too stiff to really work well with the Sur Ron. Trials tires are an exception which is likely why they work well for us.

As much as I like the Shinko trials tires, when its wet and soft here, there just isn't quite enough grip. I really want some good knobies for traction but in a light flexible tire. Looking forward to seeing the Vee Rubber tire when it arrives. If it looks good I'll lace up a 17" hoop. If not, probably go with a 3.50x18 Shinko.
            Last edited by sc-surfer; 12-28-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

How’s the 241 in grass? I’m running my x around on my farm that is grass and rocks. Tempted to get a knobby tire but I don’t think I need it for for 99% of what I do here on rock island.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                Kauaiguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I run the Geo Max 33 front and back,great in mud and still work good when dry,going to switch the back to a Geo Max 53.The stock tires are 2ply ,easy to get flats and can’t run low air pressure unless you install a rim lock.
                Last edited by Kauaiguy; 01-10-2021, 07:41 AM.

i was mistaken

ive been running 2.75” front and rear, and have not had any issues - not 3.50” rear

just got a 3.50” recently as a replacement, and it just barely fit. it brushes both the chain and the kickstand spring when turning. will need to remove the kickstand as i don’t want to trim the tire

there is a slight drop in power, the tire is heavy, maybe 3 or 4 pounds

it is 24mm or 1” taller than the stock tire
              this has shifted the angle of the the bike forward by 1°
              not that bad, lowered the fork by 1mm to compensate and it feels fine

on the flipside, it rides super nice, even in wet grass and mud

ill probably keep it
              Last edited by geoffreygonzales; 01-11-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• sc-surfer
                sc-surfer commented
                Editing a comment
                Photos please!!

Originally posted by geoffreygonzales View Post
              will need to remove the kickstand as i don’t want to trim the tire
              You can move the kickstand spring, just swap the short anchor post location & just use an m8 1.25 bolt you like for the other end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kstandspring.JPG
Views:	976
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	120432

Comment

Kenda 100/90 x19,4.25 inch wide on a 1.85 rim.Moved the chain over 4mm and still had to shave the side knobs down a little and the kick stand spring holder replaced with a bolt.with 4psi in it it feels like 10psi and at zero it feels like 5psi.Also robs a lot of power unless your running a different controller/ battery. Click image for larger version

Name:	178084B2-1214-4F95-8184-8DA911AAC58A.jpeg
Views:	671
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	122640

Comment

• sc-surfer
                sc-surfer commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya. I'm pretty much over the full sized rear moto tires. Just too heavy and stiff. Currently running a 70/100-19 MX33 on a 1.4 rim. Works great and is super light. I'm having Woody's build me a new rear 1.85 rim. That should widen out the profile a bit. I think it might just be the ideal rear setup.
            Working...
            X