Charging from an inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging from an inverter

I'm curious if anyone has any experience using an inverter run from a car or truck to charge their Sur ron. If so, what size inverter and was there was any noticeable strain to the charging system.

I routinely charge the bike while driving using a 1 kW sine-wave inverter and the stock charger. The charger draws ~700 W which the inverter handles easily. The vehicle is furnished with a "heavy duty" alternator -- can't remember the rating. I only run the inverter while the vehicle engine is running.

--Frank

Comment

I use a 600w solar system with MPPT controller and 2000w inverter and it charges in 3.5 hrs in sunlight w/o draining much. Charging at night runs it down a bit but my Trojan 12v 440Ahr batteries bounce back awfully fast. I originally bought this bike precisely because my RV would charge it. I wanted the KTM EXC but the RV wouldn't charge it since it requires 220v and I use a 12v system.

Comment

• sc-surfer
        sc-surfer commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear. I'm upgrading my Lance camper from 200w to 60w and a big LiFePo just for the Sur Ron. Glad 600w does it!!
    Working...
    X