Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sur Ron goes into eco mode when riding in sport mode

Hi everyone.
    Has anyone had the sur ron x go into eco mode power while riding in sport mode? To clarify, the mode switch is in sport mode but the bike power is as if it is in eco mode.
    I am not riding with the throttle pegged in sport mode but I am riding single track hard and a few straights at full throttle. It has happened a few different times. I am not sure if it is a over heating thing and the controller is programmed to switch to eco made when the controller or motor over heats or something.
    One fix I have done while riding is to come to a stop and power off the battery and restart it again. Sometimes this works but will again switch itself to eco mode power.
    Any Thoughts? Thanks

The Bms will automatically switch to eco if any cell group drops below the set low voltage setting.Is this happening at full charge or around 30% ,if the later that would be normal,if at above 30% you might have a cel group out of balance condition .

Comment

• Nicki
      Nicki commented
      Editing a comment
      It happens when the battery is well above 50%, Id say between 60%-90%. I have never had the battery below 45% as I am only going for around 45 min rides. At one point on my last ride it felt like the power had dropped below the normal eco levels, so at that point i cut my ride short and cruised home.

First time posting...

It happens when the battery is well above 50%, Id say between 60%-90%. I have never had the battery below 45% as I am only going for around 45 min rides. At one point on my last ride it felt like the power had dropped below the normal eco levels, so at that point i cut my ride short and cruised home.

Comment

Do you charge the battery until the charger shuts off?The stock Bms only balances at near the end of the charge cycle.Any cells that sag below there low voltage cutoff will trigger going into eco.Over battery or motor temp will also trigger it.If you have the dongle that goes in between the small plug on the battery,plug inline and go for a ride,if it does it while it’s plugged in check how many blinks your getting.After turning off the key the trouble code will be gone.

Comment

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I leave the charger on and then come back a few hours later to unplug the charger after it has 100% charged. I do have the dongle cable. I plugged the doggle in and it repeats red blinks when I turn the key on. I'll try and go for a ride this evening I'll let you know how that goes... and the number of blinks. Thanks for your help!

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        I went for a ride last night and the cut off happened at the same spot the last time it happened. After 10 min of flat riding to the trail then a slight climb and I felt it go into eco. I stopped and the blinks were 10 fast blinks then a pause. Any idea what that means?

Here’s your answer,motor over heated.

Comment

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the chart! And at least I know what it is now and how to check for issues. I'll do another ride and see if it keeps happening. After checking the blinks and restarting the ignition, it stayed in sport mode after that. And I had it full throttle a few times with no problems.

• Kauaiguy
        Kauaiguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Does your bike roll easy? What rear sprocket do you have.Next time it shuts off feel the motor temperature,should only be a few degrees hotter than the rest of the bike,if it really is getting hot,need to find out why,could be a loose sensor wire connection

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        The sprockets and chain are stock, so the rear is 48tooth. It does roll easy enough and seems to be the same as when I first rode it. I did take off the regen for the last ride. So nothing has changed since the bike was new except for the 'going into eco mode' issues.
        I did snap off the kickstand shut off wire but that was a while ago. That wire is still there so maybe that could have an effect? Maybe touching the frame here and there or something. But it seems more like a heat issue. The bike does not go into 'eco mode' until sometime after 10- 15 min of riding.

The kickstand sensor wires if they touch each other that will also shut down the bike but won’t leave a 10 blink code.Does the motor feel warm when you get the 10 blink code?

Comment

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        Im going to sort out the kick stand wire so as to not cause issues. I did not feel the engine but on my next ride I will if it is hot. I'll try and get to a ride this weekend so I'll post results of the ride on here.

• Nicki
        Nicki commented
        Editing a comment
        So I went for a ride and it went into eco mode at almost the same place it always happens at the 2 mile mark going up a small single track hill. I tracked my ride on a gps app. average speed 12.4mph, max speed 41.6mph, went into eco mode after 2 miles of a 10 mile ride. The controller was warm and the motor is a bit warmer than the controller. It's not hot but warm. I continued with the ride, turning off the ignition when it would go into eco mode and then it would be back in sport mode.
        Im thinking if it is too much heat then maybe the stainless luna skid plate may not be allowing enough air flow over the motor?
        There was also some chain oil and mud splatterd on the motor from the chain from the front sproket. This maybe is not allowing the motor to cool efficiently?
        I'll go for a ride with the skid plate removed and the motor clean of the sand/mud/gunk.... and see if it still happens.

My controller and motor never get much hotter than a couple degrees over ambient temp.Make sure the controller big wires are tight.Does your motor cog at lower throttle and with load( going slowly up a steep hill)?
      Last edited by Kauaiguy; 03-13-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Dear Nicki, one of my bikes, (I have 2) did the same think: sometimes it changed to EP mode without any explanation. I went to the case that holds the buttons SPORT/EP, onnoghen it and I saw some small amount of water inside it. It was causing bad contact in the SPORT mode and drop down to EP mode. I dry it inside and put some clear contact spray on. It solved the problem.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
          Kauaiguy commented
          Editing a comment
          His motor temp was high,at least that’s what his blink code indicated and he said his motor and controller where warm.

• Nicki
          Nicki commented
          Editing a comment
          I did take the eco /sport switch apart. It looks good and the connections are clean.

• Nicki
          Nicki commented
          Editing a comment
          I removed the skid plate to access the large wires from the controller to motor. The control connecting wires are secure and tight.
          The large chrome connectors to the motor all are snug but with a tool I could spin the outer nut. I am not sure if the outer nuts are supposed to spin or tighten, or just the nut closest to the motor is the nut to be tight?

Those chrome things are to water proof the wire going into the motor,on the back of the X controller are the wires that are bolted on,those need to be tight.

Comment

• Nicki
          Nicki commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, I'm going to remove them and make sure they are clean and then tighten them back on. I am by the sea so salt air may have an affect on the connections. But clean them up and give her another test ride...

• Kauaiguy
          Kauaiguy commented
          Editing a comment
          They should be tight but if any are loose just slightly or any corrosion that can make your motor run hot.

I had the same issue and it was a broken wire right where it comes out of the eco-sport switch. Bought a new switch and got rid of the speedometer, it was going crazy off and on, so I unhooked it. After replacing the eco/sport switch it never happened again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kauaiguy View Post
          Here’s your answer,motor over heated.
          His motor over heated.

Comment

Cleaned the controller connections and put on some dielectric silicone on the connectors. There was just a tiny bit of corrosion on the conections/bolts but nothing that stood out. I'll give it a test run later and post the results.

Comment

• Nicki
              Nicki commented
              Editing a comment
              Update. I took it for a test ride on the normal loop I do and it still was over heating at around the same trail location. So after checking the connection to and from the motor/controller and cleaning the connections, the over heating still occurs.
              The chain has stretched some so is tight in part of the wheel rotation. Maybe that could be putting strain on the motor and making it over heat?

• Kauaiguy
              Kauaiguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe take your chain off and see how your bike rolls,then check how hard it is to turn the belt pulley,must be some friction somewhere or some electronic gremlins.My friends bike had a controller problem that made his bike cog and over heat( when feeling by hand it was only warm each time it would over heat)
              Last edited by Kauaiguy; 03-17-2021, 08:14 AM.

I contacted Luna and they said it was most likely a faulty temp sensor. The solution was to short out the temp sensor so it would not give a false reading which would then send the motor into eco mode. I did short out the temp sensor, took the bike for my normal ride and there were no issues. The bike stayed in sport mode while riding in sport mode. So all good now!
            Thanks for everyones comment and suggestions!

Comment

If your motor was getting hot/ warm it might have not been faulty?

Comment

It’s difficult to say what the temp was of the motor and controller. I did do a multireader test when the motor was cold and it was giving me a false reading , so the controller thought the motor was over heating...

Comment

Working...
                X