Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Sur ron X -- brakes are broken or too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sur ron X -- brakes are broken or too tight?

Hello,

How do I go about loosing up the brakes tightness? The front nor rear will rotate and is rubbing extremely bad. I tried to loosen the rear brake on the tension lever and it snapped or was already snapped? Ideas on how to not make my brakes rub? And how to replace the bad cable or do I have to replace the entire brake unit?

if the rotors are rubbing really bad the calipers are out of alignment or the rotor are warped really bad.

These are mountain bike brakes -setup, troubleshooting, etc is all the same

youtube videos

Comment

Awesome, thank you! I think I have the front brake caliper straightened and it isnt rubbing as bad. Should I be able to free-spin the front tire without ANY resistance, or should there be some?

I am also curious about my back brake lever. It appears to have snapped during shipping? Please see attached image. Can i fix this, or do I need a new cable? Or do I need an entire new brake system unit?

Attached Files

Comment

• Kauaiguy
        Kauaiguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Brake should not have any drag and the disc should be replaced as you can’t get it perfect and you don’t want your front brake grabbing un intentionally

Pardon the ignorance.... I think I have the cable re-inserted now, but it is mushy. My guess is I will need to bleed it now and I should be good to go. Still need to figure out the brake pads rubbing though...

Comment

The stock brakes do make noise,have you broken in the stock pads? Break in procedure is to ride and then squeeze brakes hard( can do them one at a time)about 30 times,that beds the pads to the disc.Needs to be done when pads or disc are replaced.

Comment

Awesome, thank you for that information! I was wondering if they needed broke in! I think I am all set now! Time to learn more about this toy and actually start riding it! :)

Comment

You need to align the calipers. Loosen the caliper bolts and tighten it again or loosen the bolts and apply the brakes and then tighten the bolts while holding the brake down. It's ok if it rubs a little, the floating rotors are nicer in that they will adjust themselves a bit.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend anybody who owns a Surron and are going to ride it for everything it has, upgrade the brake pads to the Metallic Saints. They make the brake WAY better than the stock pads. Great upgrade. I put them on front and back, now I can lock up the rear to brake turn and the fronts will slow me down now predictably. good stuff.

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...Jrc21sbHBydHM=

Comment

Okay great, thanks everyone! I see the shimano pads recommended a lot, have you tried those as well?

Comment

Bumpign this thread for my brand new sur ron. I put the bike together last night and noticed the front brake handle pull was noticeably stiffer than the rear, I went for a 4 mile ride last night as a test drive and when I came back I could smell a very strong unpleasent smell, when I got home I noticed the caliper and rotor were very hot, obviously they were rubbing the whole time giving it alot of friction heat. Today I've just loosen the caliper for adjustment and it made zero difference whatsoever. I removed the caliper completely to check operation and then the pistons open and close as it should, but overall once back on the rotor the pistons do not seem to be retracting enough to give proper clearnance without feeling "seized" on the rotor for a lack of better terms. Is this something I need to contact Luna about warranty for as its a brand new bike and seems to be an issue with the caliper itself? or is there a way to make the pistons retract in further? Thanks

Comment

You may have too much pressure in the system.

You can try the following -

With the brake lever positioned flat remove the bleed port screw. Then remove the caliper and use something to pry the pads open. Put the bleed port screw back in and reinstall the caliper.
                    You might have to pump the lever a few times to build pressure back up. Worst case you will need to bleed the brakes.

Comment

I found that MTB hydraulic brake systems can be locked by the hot sun when the pressure builds up.

Comment

Looking at the picture, the brake's hydraulic line is disconnected and most likely expelled all of it's oil. Your brakes are not cable actuated. You need to screw the hydraulic fitting back into the reservoir at the lever, just more than snug to seal the coupler. After you reconnected it, you said the brakes feel mushy. That's because there is some oil and some air. You need no air at all. You need to bleed the system, in which there are directions in this forum to follow. In your case since we don't know if the caliper was set correctly, barely loosen the two caliper screws that hold the caliper to the forks so it can move while still on the rotor. Once you have the hydraulic system feeling good, squeeze the lever and tighten the two caliper screws. Spin the wheel and listen for rubbing. If it makes a rubbing noise, do it again but tighten the other screw first. Then check for rubbing again. Bleeding the system could be very tedious, but stick with it until the brakes feel positive, no mushiness.

Comment

The only thing you need to tighten and loosen bike brakes is an Allen wrench. The tool will help you tighten or loosen the brake. It is an important instrument when you want to fix the brakes on a bike.
                          Last edited by Robert07; 07-07-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X