No announcement yet.

Fox40 with drop top crown on the Surron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to buy a new 2021 Fox 40 (27.5, 29). It came with a flat upper clamp that won't fit a Sur Ron. I was ready to send it back but I was able to purchase a drop crown at Risse Racing. They had it to me in a week. The new clamp fits perfectly. Also, Risse informed me that they had to build a new drop crown to fit the 2021 style fork.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinDoug View Post
      You're correct. The 29 is a Fox 40 set up for a 29" wheel. Be careful tho cuz they come with different rake angles.
      Maybe you don't want 52 degrees of rake on your set up.
      The difference between the 27.5" and 29" forks is axle offset from the steerer tube, not a built in change in head tube angle. Axle to crown height may also differ, which changes head tube angle, but neither that nor axle offset is going to make a large change in head tube angle. Handling always changes with adjustments like those, and would be important if you're trying to shave seconds off of a race run. But, the 27.5" or 29", and either axle offset of a Fox 40 will be a massive upgrade in ride quality over the stock fork.

Offset:
      Offset gets larger with larger wheels to maintain trail as the wheel gets larger, which means for smaller dirt bike wheels, the shorter offset is probably going to work a little better. That being said, I bought the 29" Dorado with 51mm offset, iirc, for my Sur Ron, because that's what was available, and it included the drop crown (vs flat crown on the 27.5"). It rides great. Don't over think it.

Comment

Hi, I have the same problem, stock headset with 2021 FOX 40.
        What "top of the crown" to "top of upper tube" length will I get after installing Risse F40? I also want to install the Fox's mud guard and in order to do this I have to somehow get it to 132mm, now I have ~161-162mm. So is Risse F40 clamp long enough or should I look into something with more drop if there're any? I think 0.9'' stated on Risse's site is not enough to install within Fox's spec but probably at least enough to have full fork travel without bumping into seals, right?
        Also is Luna's Cane Creek Forty Sur-Ron Headset Bearings https://lunacycle.com/cane-creek-for...t-bearing/will give it any more room to possibly install Fox 40's with mud guard within the required specs? But I guess it will be a downgrade from the beefier stock bearings (the ones that came in 2020+ surrons stock).
        So confused, will really appreciate any help with this...
        Last edited by SolarBeaver77; 10-23-2021, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I have a 2021 fox 40 with the Risse Racing drop clamp. The fork is a perfect fit now. The fox 40 mud guard will contact the bottom of the headset before full travel is reached. I tried lots of adjustments but it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin View Post
            I have a 2021 fox 40 with the Risse Racing drop clamp. The fork is a perfect fit now. The fox 40 mud guard will contact the bottom of the headset before full travel is reached. I tried lots of adjustments but it's not even close.
            Thanks a lot, that's really reassuring to hear!

As for the mud guard, have you tried exactly 132mm of "top of the crown" to "top of upper tube"? I even contacted their technician and they've said it should be exactly 132mm. Here's a manual in case you may have missed it https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1057

Comment

Just got my Fox 40 drop crown from Risse. Perfect. Took them two weeks to ship.

Comment

I got a used 2021 fox 40 performance 29er which cames with a stock drop upper clamp. Is this drop enough to make it work properly or do i have to get a clamp with more drop?
                Besides this issue, i had to order the rotor spacer to let the rotor align with the cliper. I just hope i can get going again soon!

Comment

Originally posted by SurRon Pucon View Post
                  I got a used 2021 fox 40 performance 29er which cames with a stock drop upper clamp. Is this drop enough to make it work properly or do i have to get a clamp with more drop?
                  The stock drop upper clamp should be enough. The problem with the 29" fork is that it is 2" taller than the OEM, which means that the geometry of the Sur Ron is now significantly altered.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKol View Post
                    The stock drop upper clamp should be enough. The problem with the 29" fork is that it is 2" taller than the OEM, which means that the geometry of the Sur Ron is now significantly altered.
                    Yes i have seat extension and will get the +1.5"lift suspension linkage. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X