Broken axle cap for RST Killah front fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken axle cap for RST Killah front fork

Well, I finally got my Sur Ron X. Everything looks great, but the front axle"cap" was over-tightened in the crate so it snapped off during removal. Luna said too bad, but offered for me to buy a whole new axle for $30 plus shipping. No thanks! Can't see myself paying so much for a part that is made from absolute shit cast aluminum. And so I made one. If you are faced with the same issue, I will cheer you on, it isn't too hard. The die you need is 14mmx1.25 reverse (left) thread.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement RST KIllah Axle Cap.PNG
Views:	697
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	130355

At the very least you are a garage machinist, so good for you turning a new one. I need to say though that I don't believe the part is cast. It broke right at the root of the thread, smallest diameter of the part and a stress riser if the thread geometry is not right. This break looks like cast but that's the way aluminum looks when it breaks. I'm very surprised Luna would turn down a claim when it's obvious you just received the bike and a part is broken. I love my LBX but I would have told them to fuck off and expect a return or law suit.

Comment

OP, I certainly won't say that it couldn't have been overtightened, but what usually happens with that cap is the fact that is a lock...and as you noticed it is left-hand thread...on purpose. Someone more than likely was removing it and didn't notice that little white painted lock pic on the cap and the direction which it is supposed to turn. This isn't an uncommon thing, but it's usually done by the first owner. I think this is why Luna did what they did. There's no telling how many of these instances of this is occurring. Since the Killah doesn't have axle clamps like many/most DH forks with 20mm axles, they use the axle lock with reversed threads. It's not really RST's fault or Luna when you get down to it. What there should be is a big, gaudy, dayglo orange marking on the fork leg warning of this, but then a lot of folks probably wouldn't like that either just because of the appearance. Risse Racing also makes an aftermarket axle which has the common thread direction for that lock cap, and that's really the main reason they made that axle...but it's $60. It's good that you came up with the fix with a solid design.

Comment

Originally posted by BeratE View Post
        Well, I finally got my Sur Ron X. Everything looks great, but the front axle"cap" was over-tightened in the crate so it snapped off during removal. Luna said too bad, but offered for me to buy a whole new axle for $30 plus shipping. No thanks! Can't see myself paying so much for a part that is made from absolute shit cast aluminum. And so I made one. If you are faced with the same issue, I will cheer you on, it isn't too hard. The die you need is 14mmx1.25 reverse (left) thread.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement RST KIllah Axle Cap.PNG
Views:	697
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	130355

hey the same thing happened to me. Im looking. Can by aany chance buy a set of axle caps off you? Thanks

Comment

Sorry to hear you are up the same creek that I was. When I contacted Luna about the issue they sent me this link so I could buy a replacement: https://risseracing.com/store/produc...roducts_id=668

I didn't like the $30 cost for the same bum part so I made my own, but honestly it was time consuming for me to make one. Granted the part I made is stronger and of better materials. I am afraid I can't offer to make you one for a reasonable price. Maybe if there was enough interest from multiple folks I could have a batch of these made

Comment

The ones sold by Risse are not the same part. They machine them here in the USA. They are way nicer, use very durable metal, and they even designed a slotted flange on the end you can put a screwdriver through to pull out the axle like a handle, a nice upgrade. They don't even show the actual axle in the pics. Probably to avoid pissing off RST since they are technically competing with them on this product.

There's also this new upgraded axle made by Surron https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-upgraded-rst-front-axle/

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
              The ones sold by Risse are not the same part. They machine them here in the USA. They are way nicer, use very durable metal, and they even designed a slotted flange on the end you can put a screwdriver through to pull out the axle like a handle, a nice upgrade. They don't even show the actual axle in the pics. Probably to avoid pissing off RST since they are technically competing with them on this product.

There's also this new upgraded axle made by Surron https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-upgraded-rst-front-axle/
              That's a nice component. I still say the OEM axle works fine as long as one knows how to tighten and loosen that axle lock...LOL! Also...gasp...apply some antiseize to the threads of the lock. Contrary to the incorrect belief of some, antiseize does not magically make nuts and bolts unscrew on their own. There are so many myths about the use of antiseize and threadlockers that are worse than motor oil debates.

Comment

Per RST's Web site, the axle is magnesium, not aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Brian View Post
                  Per RST's Web site, the axle is magnesium, not aluminum.
                  Cool, take a propane torch to it. Lets see how long it burns for.

Comment

Just snapped my axle when trying to change my front tire. Definitely did not try to turn the cap the wrong way. Looks like the axle Risse Racing sells is now $60... any advice choosing between the Risse and the "upgraded" Sur Ron one? Leaning toward the Risse as I would rather not be stuck w/o a front wheel again, but I don't have any experience with this company.

Comment

Risse has been around a long time. They are trustworthy to get parts from. I'm not familiar with the Sur-Ron unit. Is it just another RST axle and cap or is it special? Does Luna make it? The RST OEM unit should have antiseize applied to those cap threads. I hear claims that it should be blue loctited, but I don't recommend that. A lot of folks think antiseize will magically make nuts and bolts unthread on their own when in reality it insures a good torque and eases removal when the time comes. That axle and end cap is an aluminum-to-aluminum deal, and the antiseize just insures they will not gall together.

Comment

Over tightening in the right direction can break that sort of part also. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I've seen oil drain plugs on diesel engines shaped like that which would break all the time. With steel you can get away with poor design like that, but softer metals don't work very well.

Comment

I swap my front wheels/tires on my Killah fork on my Nomad between a 26 and 27 for the different tire design and compound depending on where I'm riding. I've had that front axle on and off numerous times. Other than the reverse thread design, I'm not seeing why some or many of these are getting broken. I'm wondering if this is more of a Sur-Ron issue...perhaps the weight and ability of the speed of the Sur-Ron doing something to contribute to the failure. Not claiming it is, but just something I was curious about.

I also have a many years old Marzocchi 66, 170mm fork that uses the identical design that is still working fine. The Marz does have pinch bolts, and that may contribute to not taxing the axle or caps. I'm starting to think the design of the RST may be fine for MTB'ing, even emtb, but the weight and abuse from what a Sur-Ron can dish out may exceed design limits. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                          X