Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to remove tapered roller bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to remove tapered roller bearings?

Looking to swap out my fork for another. The bottom bearing on old fork wont just slide off easily wondering if anyone knows how to safely remove it along with the fork crown race on bottom?

Wanna use it all on the other fork.

You start with a thin paint scraper push in on both sides of the bottom seal/washer and pry up.

Comment

Disregard, went to the bike co-op over here and they had the removal tool. The bottom crown didnt come off so graciously but I managed to salvage it.

The right tools are the right tools.

Comment

I've been using the utility knife blade method for years. Just drive one in between the fork and race, turn it over and drive another one in. Just keep adding them until the race rises evenly all around. I've never damaged a fork or a race using this method. Just be patient, works every time.

Comment

Home remedy solutions work fine on removing tapered bearing units. Using that utility knife blade method or many others where you put pressure ONLY under the inner race against the stem will lift the race up and off. The only time people get into trouble is when they start prying on the rollers and/or the outer race. If one stays under that inner race, with something thin and with slow, consistent pressure, many home remedies work great. Granted, one can get the $40 Harbor Freight tool for the job, but it's not necessary.

Comment

Working...
          X