Throttle improvement for 2021 Sur Ron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle improvement for 2021 Sur Ron

I have 2021 SurRon X and love it...except I hate the throttle!
    The throttle has significant amount of movement before the power comes on. Then, the power delivery is not linear and is very hard to control for quick, small throttle inputs. (think hopping rocks from stop or very slow speed)

So, I have reached out to and the answer was that the Domino throttle will not work with the stock controller.

so... any ideas on how I can improve that throttle?

I would certainly not blame you for wanting a smoother throttle delivery and power delivery. However, I would caution you on the issue of the "play" or movement as you put it. There's a lot of preference in something like this, so you may know exactly what you want. However, I found these electric throttles that didn't have much in the way of "play" before power came on can be a bit of a pain...especially off road.

Do you ride a motorcycle, especially a dirt bike? The reason I ask is that there is always a little throttle tube play before the engine actually kicks in and responds. This is both a safety issue and a "feel" issue. With no or little play, it can be hard to roll into the power with some "lead in"...and this is with a vehicle that has a clutch. These e-throttles that have no play or lead in to the power delivery can be touchy as heck even when the power curve comes on very smoothly. And they can be bumped accidentally by a trail obstacle, your hand, etc. at the worst time. This is my experience on an MTB with a Bafang BBSHD. I'd think you'd want this instant throttle thing even less on something as powerful as the S-R.

Again, this is just something to consider that may not have direct application to you. I would suggest maybe smoothing out the throttle power delivery first if that's possible on the S-R. You might find the little bit of play in the throttle tube isn't a problem. Only a thought and suggestion to consider.

Comment

I appreciate the response. Yes, I do understand needing some play - but that is normally adjustable.
      for reference I ride a Beta 300 2 stroke normally. I have it set to up very responsive so I can twist the throttle a little at the last min. to avoid or go over obstacles.

This sur-ron has a lot of free-play for my preference, I realize that is preference. However, the lack of a linear response makes it scary to ride on a technical trail. it is hard to believe with a throttle-by wire and an electric motor that this is not tunable/adjustable.

Comment

Maybe I dreamed this or misread some bad info on another forum, but wasn't there some talk of a cable throttle conversion for the S-R? If so it would seem there would be adjustment capability.

I am definitely with you on the need for smooth power delivery. Some of the conversion motor kits for MTB's are delivered with horrible throttle and pedal assist power delivery profiles...like riding a dirt motor with a horribly jetted carb...LOL!...the Beta 300 isn't FI yet, is it? The beauty of many of the conversion motors like Bafang is the ability to program power delivery.

Comment

I believe the cable conversion is a forward revision. Changing a cable throttle to wired throttle for older bikes. My bike is hurky -jerky throttle in ECO mode but not in Sport Mode with the green wire clipped. Is your green wire clipped?

Comment

• khungerf
            khungerf commented
            Editing a comment
            green wire is clipped.

oddly enough - when I reached out to Luna they suggested a cable throttle conversion. I am interpreting that as 'We cannot fix the problem' That is disappointing!

I have not spent much time looking into new controllers - is it possible that would fix/help the issue?

Originally posted by TNC View Post
          ..the Beta 300 isn't FI yet, is it? The beauty of many of the conversion motors like Bafang is the ability to program power delivery.
          Yes, still carbureted. But a well tuned carb can have almost perfect throttle response.

currently my sur ron feels like a 1/4 turn throttle where the first 1/2 is slack! There is almost no difference between 1/2 throttle and full throttle.

Comment

Ouch!...yes, that kind of throttle tube movement and effectiveness would suck. From looking at some history with this issue, apparently it isn't that uncommon on the power delivery heartburn. I don't know anything about this throttle cable conversion, but I think I'd rather have a cable than electric throttle tube...or fly-by-wire system. Here's what I see in much of the motorcycle world, especially street bikes. Many top tier motorcycles with FI have fly-by-wire throttles. Many of those have glitchy power delivery right off idle. Even at the levels of "the big 4" and other manufacturers, it seems they occasionally get that throttle smoothness delivery not so perfect. You don't see that much or any with FI that uses a cable to drive the throttle linkage and the TPS...and even then the TPS can usually be easily adjusted. I'm not a fly-by-wire fan overall, but that's just me.

You're right about a good carb and setup. I have an '06 KLX300 and dumped the 34mm CV carb for a Mikuni 36mm pumper carb. Jetted correctly it has been a pleasure.

Comment

I spoke to Luna Cycle today about this issue and one of their techs mentioned installing a throttle controller on on surron x to achieve multiple throttle curve options. These controllers are available for cars and trucks but not bikes. So they would require being manually connected to the proper wires of the bike. Has anyone done this or have any info on this?

Comment

I assume the Domino won't work on a 2022 XX? Anyone tried?
                Stock throttle response is good, but the 1/4 rotation is too much.

Comment

• narwhals4life
                  narwhals4life commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just tried wiring up a domino to a 2022 bike and so far have not had luck. The new models have different colored wires (don't know why) but I cant get it to work and have no idea why. I also cannot find anything on this subject online... any other websites you know of that talk about this issue?

New controller will add a lot of options. I have the BAC4000 from eMotoBros and it performs very well.

Comment

Originally posted by sc-surfer View Post
                  New controller will add a lot of options. I have the BAC4000 from eMotoBros and it performs very well.
                  Hey Sc-surfer... I have a BAC4000 from eMotoBros as well with a 72volt battery and an EggRider... I have to say, I feel the throttle a little "choppy" at times. Is your throttle roll-on instant or near instant and smooth through the curve...?

Comment

• sc-surfer
                    sc-surfer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have an aftermarket throttle. It's better. Not perfect, but better.

Originally posted by khungerf View Post
                  So, I have reached out to and the answer was that the Domino throttle will not work with the stock controller.?
                  Who did you reach out to? Did they say why it won't work? I know the new bikes have different colored wires but I don't see why it would not work. I have not been able to find any posts or articles talking about this

Comment

Working...
                  X