No announcement yet.

Spring lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a few days ago I had the bike on the stand and noticed something wasn't right when I was picking up on the rear wheel. Turns out my Titanium coil had permanently compressed by about half an inch so it was loose on the rear shock. I took it out and it measured just under 7", it was around to 7.5" when it was new. I never noticed anything when I was riding and I'm pretty good at hearing strange new noises. Good thing is the rear shock appears to be undamaged. Anyway I sent a message to the seller and I'm currently waiting for a reply.

Comment

When I was purchasing my spring from this ebay seller, he wouldn't reply to any of my messages. Would be interested in what he says about your spring. Do you think the spring is faulty or do you think that you need a longer spring? That's a pricey component to be failing like that. Keep us posted. Thanks G

Comment

To much pre-load?The Fox shock manual says to not turn in more than 2 full turns after the spring touches the spring keeper.Mine is still good, so far.

Comment

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I only go one full turn. I think I just got a bad coil. Not sure if Titanium is heat treated and such like Steel is but something is wrong. Never seen this in 20+ years of mtb biking

Good to know, hope his isn't ruined.

Comment

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          I roughly measured the travel and its around 3" now so its no good for this shock. Good thing is the seller has responded and has asked for pictures. We will see...

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I sent the requested pictures and now the seller is telling me to ship it back to China so they can start the warranty process. So considering the cost and time of international shipping I think I'm going to just take the L and go back to the stock spring. Hopefully no one else runs into this problem

What do you mean when you refer to going back to stock spring? I was thinking it was going to be a big hassle to geta refund. That really sucks.

Comment

• CosmicG
          CosmicG commented
          Editing a comment
          I meant using the stock 450 DNM spring.

The Titanium spring will probably fit on my downhill mtb but 500 is a bit much.*shrug*

Oh OK, I gotcha, thanks!

Comment

Too much shrug. So your DNM spring fits your fox shock? So many stupid questions, you'll have to excuse me. Thanks

Comment

My titan spring that I ordered just arrived state side in the US. Shock might be months away. I'm in no hurry, I want to do some more shopping over winter slowly buying stuff I want and not breaking the bank.

Comment

Just got done measuring my Ti spring,it’s at 7 inch started at 7.4.I noticed my shock wasn’t rebounding fast enough making the rear end harsh.Put my Dnm 550 in place for now and will check performance again.

Comment

That must be a noticeable difference from fox to dnm even though the spring has malfunctioned.

Comment

• Kauaiguy
                  Kauaiguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Dnm last time I tried it felt so dam stiff but the the ti spring is kinda harsh now with less stroke.

You can't win for losing, I guess.

Comment

Today I picked up a barely used 2019 Fox Van RC shock and went searching online for a new spring. Ideally the 500lb fox spring would be good (039-12-007). However, after talking to Fox technical support, they inform me that because the TLG of the spring is longer than the TLG of the shock it would require the use of a spring compressor to install. The downside to this is that you loose range on the preload setting.

Has anyone used this spring? I am thinking of just sticking with the 450lb spring and buy the SLS verion from fox. My weight is 165lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by DubbyMcDubs View Post
                    Today I picked up a barely used 2019 Fox Van RC shock and went searching online for a new spring. Ideally the 500lb fox spring would be good (039-12-007). However, after talking to Fox technical support, they inform me that because the TLG of the spring is longer than the TLG of the shock it would require the use of a spring compressor to install. The downside to this is that you loose range on the preload setting.

Has anyone used this spring? I am thinking of just sticking with the 450lb spring and buy the SLS verion from fox. My weight is 165lbs.
                    Measure sag with the 450 spring, at 165 lbs, that might actually be better for you than a 500lb/in spring.

Comment

Working...
                    X